News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ducati stupidity

Started by IceCold4x4, November 19, 2017, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulley

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on November 24, 2017, 04:10:55 PM
Yup I never really know what i want lol. Other than more green machines. Had a guy ask me if it was a Honda earlier today at a gas station....  Felt like I should have slapped him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've been asked countless times what my Aprilia Tuono Factory was. It's obviously not a cheap bike, yet some folks thinks it's a crappy Chinese product. I even had one person ask if it was a hardware store bike. How do you respond to that without violence?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

IceCold4x4

Quote from: KevinB on November 24, 2017, 04:48:18 PM
He may have thought it was the Honda that Ducati copied with the 916...  ;)

While possible... anyone that knew about that bike would know the difference between a Honda and a ducati.

Just one of things I guess. Better than people asking me why the zrx speedo only goes to 170....

KevinB

It was tongue-in-cheek. I agree...anyone familiar with an NR750 would probably also be familiar with the 916/996.  :)

Slede

Had a guy ask me if it was a Honda earlier today at a gas station....  Felt like I should have slapped him.

backhanded, with vigor, turn you hips with it, spin his ass around
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

merc16

Yup I never really know what i want lol. Other than more green machines. Had a guy ask me if it was a Honda earlier today at a gas station....  Felt like I should have slapped him.

Maybe they were thinking of the VTR 1000 or RC51 ? You should have gave them the Foggy stare.

Justin

merc16

??? Please move hacksaw away from the Ducati.

Justin

kylepeterson

Quote from: Mulley on November 24, 2017, 04:48:42 PM

I've been asked countless times what my Aprilia Tuono Factory was. It's obviously not a cheap bike, yet some folks thinks it's a crappy Chinese product. I even had one person ask if it was a hardware store bike. How do you respond to that without violence?

laughter I guess.

them thumb that winch to life and ask them if it sounds like anything they've ever heard, at harbor freight.
just give 'er the berries !

IceCold4x4

Quote from: merc16 on December 01, 2017, 08:33:12 AM
??? Please move hacksaw away from the Ducati.

Hidden by the bike is the Sawzall hiding on the floor....

Also I might actually use the hacksaw to clean up the rear fender....

Lol

springer

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on December 01, 2017, 10:50:30 AM
Hidden by the bike is the Sawzall hiding on the floor....

Also I might actually use the hacksaw to clean up the rear fender....

Lol

Sacrilege!!!

I see a Ducati riot in your future!  :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

I was being sarcastic. But now that I know......

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

LawnmowerRG

So keep in mind what you spent on the 916.
Then keep in mind what you have spent on extras on the ZRx.

The 916 is not a power house by today's standards. It was however a powerhouse for its day.
It is the father (with it half sister MV F4) of all modern sport bikes.

Now if you get the suspension and your body position correct it will stomp most bikes on the streets. The chassis of that bike is so adjustable you can mess it up real good.

First thing I would do is check the rebound and sag.  Make sure the bike comes up evenly when you push it down in the center. If it seams like the adjusters don't do anything. It probably needs serviced. Especially the forks.
Then put a zip tie on one of the forks. See how much of the travel You are using.

Try to get the bike neutral then adjust one thing at a time from there.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on December 01, 2017, 10:46:27 PM
So keep in mind what you spent on the 916.
Then keep in mind what you have spent on extras on the ZRx.

The 916 is not a power house by today's standards. It was however a powerhouse for its day.
It is the father (with it half sister MV F4) of all modern sport bikes.

Now if you get the suspension and your body position correct it will stomp most bikes on the streets. The chassis of that bike is so adjustable you can mess it up real good.

First thing I would do is check the rebound and sag.  Make sure the bike comes up evenly when you push it down in the center. If it seams like the adjusters don't do anything. It probably needs serviced. Especially the forks.
Then put a zip tie on one of the forks. See how much of the travel You are using.

Try to get the bike neutral then adjust one thing at a time from there.
I'm. Definitely going to need to take some time to actually learn about suspension stuff now. Got a few books I've been meaning to read on the dynamics of. M/C suspension. Going to. Try and flog her around a bit tomorrow on 25 and see how it feels being pushed, the new rubber already feels much better on the way to work and back. Might even run the go pro to see if i can capture what the forms and shocks are doing...

IceCold4x4

Thoughts about 6 months after selling it.

Damn am I glad I did. And DAMN am I mad that I did. I made a bit of money on a Ducati a rare thing for someone to do, I definitely respect the 916 for its heritage and beauty however it just never grabbed me by heart. A 996 may have been enough to keep me happy but it was honestly just not the razor edged sword i expected. So much of riding I've learned since taking keith codes class is the rider that a machine like that is lost on me at the moment. Finesse and style have never been my way, I just seem to be the big dumb oaf who screams power tosses it into the corner and it generally seems to work it's way out through skill / sheer determination not to go down.

Mixed feelings about the 916 happy to have owned it, but still can't be sure I'd rebuy unless it was another screaming deal. The limits of the street are far lower for me than the technical limitations of a bike like the zrx, so I guess I'll continue to enjoy the power / comfort / and uniqueness of the zrx until such a time that one of these "crotch" rockets becomes a path to being faster. Still can't be sure, and to quote hunter s thompson "some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one." this line perfectly sums up my feelings on the bike I guess.