Anyone rent ADV bikes in North Alabama?

Started by Madmanmike, September 28, 2020, 08:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmanmike

Subject says it all. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on one if these, but I'd love to rent a couple to try them out first.

Thanks
Michael

klaviator

I don't know of any place in Alabama.  There are some motorcycle rental places near Deal's Gap that do: https://wolfcreekrentals.us/

Another option is to do some demo rides.  BMW dealers generally allow demo rides as do some other European bike dealers.  Some Japanese dealers will allow demo rides, especially on used bikes.

Do you have any idea of what you are looking for?   ADV bikes start at around 300cc and go up to over 1200cc.  Some are very dirt oriented and some more road oriented.   There are singles, twins, triples and even four cylinder ADV bikes. 

Right now many showrooms are pretty empty so there might not be that much to look at until they get the chance to restock. 

Show up at some of our rides and you will see a variety of adventure bikes as that seems to have become the most common style of bike at our rides.  I expect there to be a ride this coming Saturday.

Madmanmike

Quote from: klaviator on September 28, 2020, 09:15:38 PM
I don't know of any place in Alabama.  There are some motorcycle rental places near Deal's Gap that do: https://wolfcreekrentals.us/

Another option is to do some demo rides.  BMW dealers generally allow demo rides as do some other European bike dealers.  Some Japanese dealers will allow demo rides, especially on used bikes.

Do you have any idea of what you are looking for?   ADV bikes start at around 300cc and go up to over 1200cc.  Some are very dirt oriented and some more road oriented.   There are singles, twins, triples and even four cylinder ADV bikes. 

Right now many showrooms are pretty empty so there might not be that much to look at until they get the chance to restock. 

Show up at some of our rides and you will see a variety of adventure bikes as that seems to have become the most common style of bike at our rides.  I expect there to be a ride this coming Saturday.

Done rides are okay, but I need to ride it a few days to get the feel. So that's not really an option.

I'm not sure what I want, so, again, it would be nice to rent. The 300s are out. I'm a big guy. 700 and up I think.

Not interested in a dirt bike with blinkers, they aren't fun on the street. The adventure sounds fun because of not having to trailer the bike to go off road. I've watched some YouTubes. The tenere is sticking in my mind right now. But I'm totally open.

I'd love to join on some rides that are strictly street runs, as my bike is allergic to dirt roads.

Thanks for the response. The hunt continues.

Michael

TN_twowheeladdict

The larger and heavier the bike the more skill and muscle required when the going gets rough.  The adventure touring bikes are mostly ridden on the road by guys who want an upright motorcycle with plush suspension.  The SUV of the motorcycle world. 

When it comes to adventure bikes, it really comes down to how aggressive are you going to ride and how rough an off-road area are you going to ride in.

In capable hands, a Harley can be as much an off-road machine than any other bike until you start jumping logs and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFT-QIU1aiU&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMx9dYVOFo

If you don't have off road skills, you really need to start with as light a bike as possible and move up as your skills improve. 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

klaviator

You would be surprised at how much performance a sub 700cc bike can have.  Unless you have dirt bike experience, the bigger adventure bikes will be a real handful if you actually take them off road.  On the other hand, if all you want to do is ride relatively easy dirt roads then any adventure bike will do. 

Renting a bike will be expensive.  Expect to pay at least $150 a day.

Another option is to buy a well used bike and ride it for a season.  After that you will have a better idea of what you really want.  Then you can sell the used bike without losing much if any money and move on to a new bike if that's what you want.

Madmanmike

Oh, I am completely open to used. I will always let another guy eat the big depreciation. I'm not new to off road, I was just in the game long before adventure bikes existed. Showing my age.

Yah, not interested in a 300. I think a 600-700 will suit me just fine.

Renting for a few hundred is worth it to avoid buying something I wind up disliking.

Anyway, no rentals around here, so a moot point.

klaviator

I don't know how tall you are but adventure bikes usually have taller seats than street bikes.  This may limit your choices if you have a short inseam.  If nothing else, sit on as many bikes as you can.  Its no substitute for riding one but you may be able to eliminate some bikes that way.

norton73

Buy a used DR650.

Available everywhere used for decent prices. Capable of almost any road you want, and easy 4 wheeler/side by side trails and easy single track. People tour across the country, ride passes in colorado, etc on them.

Ride it for a season, go on rides with other people, swap bikes during the ride, and then decide if a adv bike is for you and what you want to ride. You won't lose much money on a DR and they are plenty fun.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: norton73 on September 29, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
Buy a used DR650.

Available everywhere used for decent prices. Capable of almost any road you want, and easy 4 wheeler/side by side trails and easy single track. People tour across the country, ride passes in colorado, etc on them.

Ride it for a season, go on rides with other people, swap bikes during the ride, and then decide if a adv bike is for you and what you want to ride. You won't lose much money on a DR and they are plenty fun.

And someone on this forum may have one set up for adventure riding available real soon. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: Madmanmike on September 29, 2020, 07:39:13 AM
Oh, I am completely open to used. I will always let another guy eat the big depreciation. I'm not new to off road, I was just in the game long before adventure bikes existed. Showing my age.

Yah, not interested in a 300. I think a 600-700 will suit me just fine.

Renting for a few hundred is worth it to avoid buying something I wind up disliking.

Anyway, no rentals around here, so a moot point.

Sloan's up in Murfreesboro will let you do a nice ride on any used bike when they see you are a serious rider and potential purchaser.  If you don't know if you like a bike within a couple hours it probably isn't the bike for you.  Any longer and you are just talking about seat comfort, wind fatigue, etc, which can all be overcome with the aftermarket. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Hammerdown77

Sloan's also rents bikes (Eagle Rider) although you are going to need to call and ask them what kind of adventure bikes they have. I've seen them have an Africa Twin to rent, but it's hit or miss. Most of their rentals are Harley or Indian touring bikes, and Honda Goldwings. People tend to fly into Nashville and want to ride two up on a big touring bike down the Natchez Trace, or over to Cherohala and Deal's.

Edit: Oops, scratch that, looks like they put that program on hold this year due to Covid. Either way, search around on Eagle Rider and see if there's anything close enough for you to be willing to try.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Madmanmike

Good ideas. Thanks to everyone for responding.

I spent a few years in Asia and had a Honda CRF250. And as I said in the initial post, I'm not interested in a dirt bike with blinkers, and that Honda was exactly that.

I'll check into the Suzi, that might work, as a 650 is something I will consider.

Groovy
Michael

Sweeper

If you show up to a ride when I'm on my CB500X, I'll be glad to let you try it for a bit. Not a great dirt bike but it is fun about everywhere but mud.

yamahamer

If you decide on full adventure bike hit me up. I have a 2016 Tenere ES for sale for $10,500.

2016 Yamaha super tenere ES 1200
8k miles and full of farkles.
Yoshi RS4
ACD skid plate
ALT rider crash bars
Pivot pegs with covers
GIVI Trekker outback hard bags
2" ROX
Homemade passenger backrest.
Plus all the factory goodies like cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension and more.
Some small scratches as she wasn't a freeway princess, but never dropped.
Have all stock parts as well, even factory tires that are like new.

KevinB

Max Motorsports in Pelham has a pretty liberal demo/rental policy on new inventory and used bikes.