News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2021.....Where should we ride to this year?

Started by Al Goodwin, January 26, 2021, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Melony and I take a 10-12 day long ride every year, sometimes a couple of them.

We've done the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway complete, then down into South Carolina and Georgia one year.  Rode Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky one year......Alaska trip one year(took a bit longer than 10 days)...And we've been talking about Nova Scotia, that was in the plans for last year, then the border shutdown due to the virus.

So, this year... ..if you had 12 days to ride, from Alabama, and back....WHERE WOULD YOU RIDE TO??

thinwater

klaviator

It depends on the time of year.  Late spring or fall I'd be looking at northern Arizona and Southern Utah.  Summertime I'd be looking at Colorado. 

Al Goodwin

Quote from: klaviator on January 26, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
It depends on the time of year.  Late spring or fall I'd be looking at northern Arizona and Southern Utah.  Summertime I'd be looking at Colorado.

Time of year is open.....I guess I should start there, decide when we'll go, then decide where.  I'm thinking WEST of the Mississippi for sure

Mulley

Look into far Northeast and Canada. I like the Nova Scotia idea. Bay of Fundy is neat. Seeing the huge tidal shifts is worth the trip.

I really enjoyed riding around in Vermont and upstate New York, upper New Hampshire. Maine was cool but not as good as those other areas. We barely dipped into Canada over to St Andrews, New Brunswick. I wish I could have spend a few more days in Canada.

We did it in 8 days. 11 or 12 would have been perfect.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

TN_twowheeladdict

My favorite states to tour were Utah, Maine, parts of California.

My favorite roads were the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pacific Coast Highway.

Since I already completed touring the lower 48 by motorcycle, and some of central Canada, my new focus is the list of top 100 motorcycle roads in the US. 

I have also changed from riding from home to hauling bike(s) in my enclosed trailer and doing more of the "Roadrunner" magazine style shamrock tours.  I avoid interstates as much as I feasibly can while riding and my physical tolerance for time in the saddle has been reduce by a third.  Need more breaks these days if I want to move the next day.

I also avoid any form of traffic as much as possible. 

If I were still riding like the OP, I would say definitely the Canadian Maritimes.  I know it would be more of the same of the Maine coastline.     
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Al Goodwin

We have discussed Nova Scotia ever since our Alaska trip back in '16, but it never got into our schedule, then they closed the borders last year.

Melony has ridden around Sturgis, YEARS ago, but never Colorado.....I think Colorado may be at the top of the list for now.....

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: TN_twowheeladdict on January 27, 2021, 12:20:35 PM

My favorite roads were the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pacific Coast Highway.

I seen the other day that a section of the Pacific Coast Highway collapsed in a mudslide. From the picture I seen it will be closed there for quite some time.

Very sad...  :'(

That was part of my 4 corners of the US plan for 2022.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

polarissalesman

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on February 01, 2021, 01:03:45 PM
I seen the other day that a section of the Pacific Coast Highway collapsed in a mudslide. From the picture I seen it will be closed there for quite some time.

Very sad...  :'(

That was part of my 4 corners of the US plan for 2022.

Chuck
Just saw it was set to reopen in the next couple of weeks...
"keep the rubber side down"

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: polarissalesman on April 30, 2021, 08:27:23 AM

SWEEEEET!!!! Thanks.

Just might be out that way in June.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

polarissalesman

Quote from: polarissalesman on April 30, 2021, 08:27:23 AM
Highway 1 through Big Sur will reopen by April 30, two months earlier than expected, Caltrans announced April 8.
"keep the rubber side down"

Al Goodwin

Canadian border has opened back up for travel......

May make that Nova Scotia ride this year.  Depends on the requirements, restrictions, and if we want to deal with the hassle of it all at the border.