News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2022 KLR 650 Released

Started by KevinB, January 26, 2021, 08:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

Kawasaki introduces the 2022 through 2052 KLR 650.  :D

Turns out to be an evolution of the old bike rather than a new design that a lot were hoping for.

Looks to be the same frame (w/ new subframe), same engine (w/EFI and other updates), still a 5 speed, and about 25 extra pounds. Should sell like hotcakes regardless.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/new-kawasaki-klr-650/

The legendary KLR gets fuel injection, ABS and a range of other refinements.

Kawasaki has announced today the return of the faithful KLR 650 to its lineup. The legendary dual-sport bike is back with key improvements, including new technology many riders have been waiting for.
At the heart of the 2022 KLR is its long-running 652cc single-cylinder engine, now equipped for the first time with fuel injection. Kawasaki states the changes not only make starting easier, but this update combined with the fuel tank's greater usable volume contributes to an increased range between fuel stops. Performance has also been improved with revised intake and exhaust cam profiles resulting in increased power and torque in the mid range. Plus a stronger cam chain guide material and shape add to the increased reliability. The new model still retains a 5-speed gearbox, but several refinements have been made for smoother shifting operation.

A new multi-functional LCD digital instrumentation panel with a fuel gauge and clock may seem a bit old school with so many bikes receiving color TFT displays these days, but it's miles ahead of the old analog gauges it replaces. You can also now get the KLR with a USB power port and even heated grips as factory accessories. While the fuel tank remains 6.1 gallons, a new tank design places the fuel pump at the bottom of the tank to ensure more fuel can be captured when you are running low.

Numerous parts have been updated for increased long-range travel capability including a longer wheelbase and new front-end geometry that improves stability on the highway, fine-tuned ergos for increased comfort, new rubber mounted touch points for reduced vibrations, and increased generator capacity for powering various electronics and accessories.
The KLR 650 motorcycle's high tensile, semi-double-cradle frame receives several updates on the 2022 model. The updates now include a rear frame that is integrated with the main frame to increase torsional rigidity for a more composed ride and a 30mm longer swingarm with a 2mm larger diameter swingarm pivot shaft that also contributes to better handling.

Off-road, the new KLR has the same 7.9 inches of suspension travel in front and 7.3 inches in the rear but the suspension settings have been optimized. As before, it rides on a 21" front and 17" rear spoke wheels that are tube type, although the rims have been strengthened and larger-diameter axles help improve durability.
The all-new KLR 650 gets improved braking power from a larger front disc while a thicker rear disc aids in heat dissipation during heavy braking. And for the first time, the KLR is available with optional ABS. The ABS system is tuned for dirt with the intervention coming on later than a typical on-road ABS system, which allows the tires to slide slightly before the ABS kicks in, but it's not known at this time whether the system can be switched off completely.

For 2022, the KLR 650 motorcycle will also be available in two new special edition versions (Adventure and Traveler) featuring a number of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories including side cases, engine guards, LED auxiliary light set, and more.
With the addition of fuel injection and all the new equipment, the new Gen-3 KLR was bound to gain some pounds. It now weighs in at 456 pounds wet, which is 24 pounds heavier than the outgoing model. No doubt the additional heft will be noticed on the trail but hopefully the increased power from the fuel injection will help compensate on the road.

Messing around with the KLR650 was always going to be controversial and it's impossible to please everyone's desires for a new KLR. For such an important model for the brand, one would expect Kawasaki did their due diligence before making any changes, so we'll wait for a test ride before we make any judgments. And let's hope these new updates are strong enough to keep the KLR in Kawasaki's lineup for another decade. Who knows, maybe we'll see a new Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR650L follow suit.
Read on below for more details about the 2022 Kawasaki KLR 650:

HIGHLIGHTS

NEW Fuel-Injected 652cc Single-Cylinder Engine

NEW Multi-Functional Digital Instrumentation With Fuel Gauge

NEW LED Headlight

NEW Bodywork including fuel tank

NEW Larger Front Disc And Optional ABS

NEW Greater Wind Protection and Styling

NEW Increased Carrying Capacity

NEW Rear Frame

NEW Swingarm

NEW Larger Swingarm Pivot Shaft

ENGINE

NEW Fuel Injection

NEW Revised Cam Profiles

NEW Exhaust Pipe Diameter

NEW Updated Clutch

NEW Increased Generator Output (from 17 to 26 amps)

NEW Low Maintenance Battery

NEW Lighter Starter, Ignition Coil, And Evaporator Canister

NEW Honeycomb Catalyzer

The exhaust pipe diameter has been reduced by 7.7 mm to improve mid-range torque characteristics to better suit everyday riding. An oxygen sensor provides feedback to the fuel injection system, contributing to cleaner exhaust emissions and increased fuel efficiency.

Several updates have been made to improve shifting feel and reduce weight. In the clutch and transmission, the clutch release bearings were changed from ball to thrust-needle bearings, the gear dogs and shift fork have been revised on third gear, and a new finishing treatment is now used for fourth and fifth gears.
A new sealed battery adds to the convenience and is significantly lighter than the previous battery. The starter, ignition coil, and evaporator canister have all been revised and are now lighter than on previous models.

SUSPENSION & WHEELS

NEW Front and Rear Suspension Settings

NEW Larger Front Brake Disc

NEW Thicker Rear Brake Disc

NEW Optional ABS Models

NEW Stronger Rear Wheel Rim Material

NEW Larger-Diameter Axle Shafts

Both front and rear suspension settings complement the new frame to help provide a more planted feel. In order to meet the demands of both on and off-road riding, 41 mm front forks with 200 mm of suspension travel handle the suspension duties up front and add the rigidity needed for superb performance. Firm fork springs provide excellent bump compliance and bottoming resistance while also reducing front-end dive under heavy braking.
An adjustable Uni-Trak system with 185 mm of suspension travel can be found on the rear and complements the front fork settings, offering progressive rear suspension action while contributing to a low center of gravity. Firm rear shock settings help resist bottoming in rough terrain and accommodate heavy loads. Rear spring preload and rebound damping adjustments allow riders to fine-tune suspension settings to suit the riding conditions and rider's preference. The front fork and rear shock settings complement each other for light, sharp handling on smooth roads while providing the capability needed off-road. 

Complementing the KLR 650 motorcycle's more powerful engine is a larger 300mm front brake disc that delivers more substantial braking power. The disc shape has been changed from a petal-type disc to a round disc. On the rear brakes, the disc has been thickened to provide better heat dissipation when under heavy braking. Similar to the front, the back disc shape is now round. Models with and without ABS are now available and the ABS offers additional rider reassurance when riding on low-friction surfaces.
The KLR 650 comes equipped with a 21" front wheel and 17" rear wheel that allows riding to be continued even when the paved road ends. A stronger material can now be found on the rear wheel rim, delivering improved torsional rigidity and increased durability. The front and rear tires are tube types. A larger-diameter front and rear wheel axle contribute to both durability and handling.

ERGONOMICS

NEW Fine-Tuned Handlebar And Footpeg Positions

NEW Rubber Mounts On Handlebars And Footpegs

NEW Fuel Tank Design With More Useable Volume

NEW Taller Windshield For Increased Wind Protection

NEW Seat Design And Materials For Improved Comfort

NEW Pillion Grab Bars For Passenger Comfort

NEW 30mm Shorter Side Stand

One significant improvement has been the reduction of vibration from parts that come in contact with the rider, further contributing to comfort when on long rides.
Fine-tuned handlebar and footpeg positions have each been moved 10mm outwards to provide adjustability and put the rider in a slightly more relaxed position, to support longer hours in the saddle. The handlebars and footpegs are now rubber-mounted, reducing vibration for improved comfort. A new fuel tank design has been fitted to the KLR 650 chassis, offering a natural fit with the rider's knees for comfort and increased controllability. While the volume of the new fuel tank remains the same, the usable volume has been increased through redesign and a new fuel pump that draws from the very bottom of the tank, contributing to a longer cruising range.

Aiding the rider up front, a new stylish windshield can be found, which is now 50mm taller for better wind protection and features two-position bolt-on adjustability that allows windshield height to be conveniently increased a further 30mm. The seat shape and cover have been revised and the optimized urethane thickness and firmness all contribute to increased ride comfort. Under the seat, rubber dampers have been added to further aid in rider comfort. Passenger grab bars have been reshaped, improving passenger comfort. The side stand has been shortened 30mm, making it easier to deploy when on the bike.

BODYWORK & STYLING

NEW Shroud, Side Cover, And Tail Cowl

NEW Bright LED Headlight

NEW Taillight And Turn Signal

NEW All-Digital Instrument Panel

NEW Longer Mirror Arms

New colors and textured graphics were specifically chosen by Kawasaki to emphasize its ruggedness. A more-modern styling update includes a protector-equipped shroud design that contributes to a functional and tough image, while a new side cover design and tail cowl tie the styling package together.

A new bright LED headlight illuminates the way when the ride continues past sunset. In the back, the taillight and turn signal design have been revised and therearward field of vision has been improved thanks to longer mirror arms.
An all-digital instrument panel offers information at-a-glance through a large display and easy-to-read LCD screen with white backlighting. The instrument panel features a speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, clock, and indicator lamps. The narrowed-down display list prioritizes visibility of the speedometer and fuel gauge.

ACCESSORIES

A number of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories (KGA) will allow riders to personalize the looks of their KLR 650 and offer added comfort and convenience. Kawasaki accessory side cases and top case were developed to provide a clean look with their well-matched design.
sid

The cases feature a top-opening design that makes it easy to add and remove items when they are mounted on the bike. The side cases easily clip onto their mounting brackets for a secure fit. The top case is large enough to accommodate an off-road style helmet. Improving convenience, side cases and the top case can be fitted with a one-key system. Complementing the accessory luggage, a larger aluminum rear carrier offers improved carrying capacity. In addition to its exclusive luggage, accessories include grip heater set, LED auxiliary light set, engine guards, DC power outlet, and USB socket. With its increased generator output, the KLR 650 now has 80 watts available to power electronic accessories and charge devices.

SPECIAL EDITIONS

Also new for the 2022 KLR 650 are two model variations that feature factory-equipped accessories and both come standard with ABS. The KLR 650 ADVENTURE model comes equipped with factory-installed side cases, LED auxiliary light set, engine guards, tank pad, and both DC power outlet and USB socket and is available in the Cypher Camo Gray colorway. This model is designed for the rider who is looking for increased carrying capacity and convenience.  The KLR 650 TRAVELER model features a factory-installed top case and both DC power outlet and USB socket and comes in Pearl Lava Orange colorway.

Gam

Wonder if they  beefed up the doo hickey spring?

gulfcoaster

Apparently EFI weighs a lot more than a carburetor.  I had no idea. 

I'm sure it'll sell, but was a 6th gear and suspension made in this millennium too hard?

klaviator

I sold my 05 KLR because it was too heavy.  This thing is 60 pounds heavier! 

KevinB

I'm guessing Kawasaki set a team of engineers down and said "You guys will be redesigning the KLR...we want you to update it, bring it into the 21st Century. Here's a budget of $67."

klaviator

Quote from: KevinB on January 26, 2021, 09:30:24 PM
I'm guessing Kawasaki set a team of engineers down and said "You guys will be redesigning the KLR...we want you to update it, bring it into the 21st Century. Here's a budget of $67."

:D :D :D

Sounds about right.  At least this should keep the price down.  I heard $6500 which is way below any other adventure bike except the Himalayan and some Chinese bikes.

Sweeper

A CB500X is only about $500 more. I guess it just amounts to squeezing a few more dollars out of the tooling. I notice that they are calling it a 2022 as well! They have so many options in their parts bins, I would think that they could come up with an awesome replacement!

TN_twowheeladdict

It is not enough to lure me away from the Himalayan.  Too tall and too heavy for what I need.

I would want to see the torque curve before deciding if the versys engine would have been better.  The KLR is not for high speed interstate travel. 

My '08 KLR had $4000 in upgrades from the previous owner and was a really nice bike and would go anywhere as long as you had the muscle to control it.

I don't understand many peoples comment on a 6th gear.  It isn't the number of gears you have, it is the ratios and overlap coupled with the final drive ratios that matter.

According to Google 1st 2.266 (34/15) 2nd 1.444 (26/18) 3rd 1.136 (25/22) 4th 0.954 (21/22) 5th 0.791 (19/24).

Both 4th and 5th gears are already overdrive gears.  Adding a 6th gear at say 0.65 might just kill fuel economy because the bike would be working hard to try and overcome all the resistive forces and my not have enough power.

I know my Versys 650 was faster in 5th than in 6th.  Of course there were times that I still went for another gear so should I be complaining because the Versys doesn't have a 7th gear?

Now if those who are requesting a 6th gear want it to be maybe 0.74 and realign all the other gear ratios for good overlap and power delivery I could see that as being a possible benefit depending on how the math and real world testing works out. 

Has anyone changed the sprockets on a KLR 650 and recorded the affects of that change?  Done the math to see what the final effective ratios are for each gear with the OEM sprockets and the changed sprockets? 

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

klaviator

Quote from: TN_twowheeladdict on January 27, 2021, 12:11:17 PM
It is not enough to lure me away from the Himalayan.  Too tall and too heavy for what I need.

I would want to see the torque curve before deciding if the versys engine would have been better.  The KLR is not for high speed interstate travel. 

My '08 KLR had $4000 in upgrades from the previous owner and was a really nice bike and would go anywhere as long as you had the muscle to control it.

I don't understand many peoples comment on a 6th gear.  It isn't the number of gears you have, it is the ratios and overlap coupled with the final drive ratios that matter.

According to Google 1st 2.266 (34/15) 2nd 1.444 (26/18) 3rd 1.136 (25/22) 4th 0.954 (21/22) 5th 0.791 (19/24).

Both 4th and 5th gears are already overdrive gears.  Adding a 6th gear at say 0.65 might just kill fuel economy because the bike would be working hard to try and overcome all the resistive forces and my not have enough power.

I know my Versys 650 was faster in 5th than in 6th.  Of course there were times that I still went for another gear so should I be complaining because the Versys doesn't have a 7th gear?

Now if those who are requesting a 6th gear want it to be maybe 0.74 and realign all the other gear ratios for good overlap and power delivery I could see that as being a possible benefit depending on how the math and real world testing works out. 

Has anyone changed the sprockets on a KLR 650 and recorded the affects of that change?  Done the math to see what the final effective ratios are for each gear with the OEM sprockets and the changed sprockets?

The issue with only 5 gears is not that 5th isn't tall enough, it's the huge gap between 1st and 2nd that bothered me.  It wasn't much of an issue on the street but a real PITA off road.

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: klaviator on January 27, 2021, 12:25:42 PM
The issue with only 5 gears is not that 5th isn't tall enough, it's the huge gap between 1st and 2nd that bothered me.  It wasn't much of an issue on the street but a real PITA off road.

Understood.  I just hear the cry for more gears without an explanation so it is hard to understand what people are actually asking for.

There once was a guy who complained about a bike having 6 speeds because he never went fast enough to put it into 6th.   ??? ::) :D
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

SoloRider73

What surprised me was it took 4 years to add fuel injection. I guess with a 4 year gap I was expecting something like a Yamaha Tenere 700. They could have done fuel injection while selling the current version. Only reason I can think for the delay is to let the used market fall before offering a slightly better bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinB

Quote from: SoloRider73 on January 30, 2021, 08:27:08 PM
Only reason I can think for the delay is to let the used market fall before offering a slightly better bike.

I also understand that they still had 2017 and 2018 models in the warehouses they were trying to clear out.

That's one of the disadvantage of prolonged model updates...it doesn't provide as much incentive to purchase a new bike over a used bike that's a few years old but nearly identical (and has had the factory flaws rectified).

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: SoloRider73 on January 30, 2021, 08:27:08 PM
What surprised me was it took 4 years to add fuel injection. I guess with a 4 year gap I was expecting something like a Yamaha Tenere 700. They could have done fuel injection while selling the current version. Only reason I can think for the delay is to let the used market fall before offering a slightly better bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They did a similar thing with the KLX250.  Ended in 2014, back out in '18 unchanged except for FI.
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Sweeper

Kawasaki Heavy Industries has announced that the Motorcycle company is being spun off. Maybe part of the reason is that they have been unable to move quickly enough to keep up with market change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rider_marc

Remember when Kawasaki and Suzuki shared models like the DRZ/KLX-400 or the KLX/DRZ-110? Too bad they don't continue joint development, updating, and manufacturing for some segments.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM