News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2021 KLX-300

Started by rider_marc, February 06, 2021, 07:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider_marc

For some reason, I feel I need one of these!   :D   Really though, probably a good thing to have in the coming years--post AT.

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/klx/dual-sport/klx300?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-VEHICLE
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

klaviator

If I hadn't just bought a KLX250 last year I'd be all over this.

Jwwr

It would be a hard choice between this and the Honda CRF300l.

Sweeper

The CRF300's are doing so well that you can't even get a dealer to call back when you're trying to buy three. From what I read, most dealers are getting one or two of each this year. Glad to still have my 250 for the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rider_marc

The KLX or the CRF would be fine. One detail that I'm always a fan of is higher compression ratios. The KLX has an advantage of the two. One of the reasons for picking up the CB over the Z900 last Fall.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

LawnmowerRG

I had the 250 and it didn't have a torque curve. Other than that it was a great bike for the price. I sold it because it wasn't what I wanted. It was what I though I wanted. Still it was a good machine.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

TN_twowheeladdict

I am still waiting for the real world reviews.  So far they are saying the KLX has better suspension components.

I had a '12 KLX250 and enjoyed it.  I only parted with it because I thought my riding on less than smooth asphalt days were over due to spine issues. 

I have been hanging on to my Sargent seat and if the reviews say the 300 will do a true 75 mph and the seat fits, it might be in my future. 

I hauled my 250 out to NM and California for a work trip and did a lot of off road in NM, but ran the PCH and the mountains in California on it.  There were times I was down on the tank in a head wind trying to maintain speed climbing a pass.

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Gam

Once I did all the dirt I could find route into North Carolina, coming back I had to take all pavement. Going up Chunky Gal Mountain on HW 64 ( that steep mountain with rock cut on both sides) I had to stop a couple of times and let the traffic pass me, I would have lost a drag race with a mobile home transport.  I had camping gear but still,  that's not much grunt, otherwise is it such a fun reliable, comfortable bike, I plan on getting a 300.  I ride a lot with a guy on 250 Honda, he's faster than me on pavement, but in real rocky stuff, the klx sucks up the bumps better (mine is 2006).

norton73

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on February 10, 2021, 09:07:50 AM
I had the 250 and it didn't have a torque curve. Other than that it was a great bike for the price. I sold it because it wasn't what I wanted. It was what I though I wanted. Still it was a good machine.

If you're expecting KTM performance from both the engine and the suspension, you're gonna be disappointed. It's basically a good beginner/intermediate bike that's more a real dual sport as opposed to a dirt bike with lights at a far lower cost.

It's a good base also to modify if the owner wants to, plenty of motor and suspension improvements are available.

For my use, my 09 with 351 kit and a little suspension work suits me .
Loose nut holding the handlebars

rider_marc

Saw one and spent some sitting time on a KLX-300 today up in Clarksville, TN. The whole bike just fits. Springs front and rear spring rates seem right where I like them. Seat was not hard either. Riding is the only way to be sure. Now, it's a choice of green or camo. hmm...
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

klaviator

I bought a KLX250 last June and have been very happy with it.  I wanted a true dual sport, not a dirt bike with lights and the KLX fit what I wanted.  With a 300cc engine it should have a bit more torque and HP making it an even better bike. 

LawnmowerRG

Quote from: Gam on February 13, 2021, 08:33:41 AM
Once I did all the dirt I could find route into North Carolina, coming back I had to take all pavement. Going up Chunky Gal Mountain on HW 64 ( that steep mountain with rock cut on both sides) I had to stop a couple of times and let the traffic pass me, I would have lost a drag race with a mobile home transport.  I had camping gear but still,  that's not much grunt, otherwise is it such a fun reliable, comfortable bike, I plan on getting a 300.  I ride a lot with a guy on 250 Honda, he's faster than me on pavement, but in real rocky stuff, the klx sucks up the bumps better (mine is 2006).

@Gam  a cam retime, carb, air box, and muffler mods help the bottom end power a bunch. It's not a 300/330/350 though. I think Andy is pretty happy with his 250 with a big bore kit.
I was trying to ride with guys that are much faster than me. That made its weak points glaringly obvious. Combine that with me not being a good enough rider to compensate and it was a recipe for me getting hurt. I decided to sell it before I did something stupid.

Other than the seat height I think it's a perfect starter bike that will take you a long way with a few mods. I expect the 300 will be even better for that.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Gam

This was my first Klx 250, it was 1979 KLX250a. Pic is 1980 but no difference and they didn't make them but for those two years, it was a 5 speed and not street legal. I don't know anybody else that had one. I got it to start riding enduros again, I had been out of state at school and was lucky to have enough money to eat and put gas in my car.  I saw this and thought this bike looks like it will rip. My last bike was a Husky 360 two stroke and compared that, the bike definitely did not rip. So we went down to ride what i guess was the Goobler Getter enduro, I just know it was in Alabama. Well came to a creek crossing and tried to lift the front wheel to get over a steep bank, all the bike did was accelerate so I smacked dead into the bank and went over the handlebars. Later I caught a false neutral on a downhill hairpin on a FS road and just sailed out into space, cracking some ribs. I just trail rode on it after all that. So in 2006 they came out with the KLX 250s or h or whatever and I bought one. I was thinking after all this time, that bike has to rip now.  Same guy still owned the dealership where I bought the first, and he's standing out in the parking lot while I give it the first test,  I pull over and tell him it no stronger than the first one, he says "I was afraid of that".  Now they have the KLX 300, I'm going to get one, I bet this bike is gonna rip :D

rider_marc

Anyone here buy the black camo 300 from Freedom Powersports? It was advertised $200 below MSRP.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

klaviator

Quote from: rider_marc on March 01, 2021, 07:33:54 PM
Anyone here buy the black camo 300 from Freedom Powersports? It was advertised $200 below MSRP.

After Freedom's usual fees I'd bet it sold for at least 1k over MSRP.