News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Wheeler Sunday afternoon 2-21?

Started by klaviator, February 19, 2021, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Anyone interested in riding Wheeler on Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours? It's forecast to be 57 and sunny and the gates are open again.

If there is interest I'll set up a meeting time and place.

2372ighost

I am, let you later tonight or tomorrow
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Chuck A.

"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

klaviator

Here's the plan:

Meet at the abandoned gas station at the corner of Swancott and County Line roads just south of the Huntsville Airport at 1:00. There are several sections of the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge in the area and we'll try to ride them all. Figure 2 hours, Maybe longer if we stop and talk a lot. Most of the ride will be easy gravel roads but there may be some muddy sections. Any dual sport or adventure bike should do just fine.  There will not be any gas stops on this ride so plan accordingly.

thinwater

Don't wait on me/us, but according to how much time I have tomorrow we may get in on that.

2372ighost

I won't make this one. I will ride closer to home. You all enjoy!
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Mulley

What kind of riding is at Wheeler? I didn't even realize there were trails (or roads) for riding. If I make it I'll be on a KTM 500 with knobbies.

Do you have a link to a trail/road map?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Chuck A.

Quote from: klaviator on February 20, 2021, 07:03:11 AM
No, street legal vehicles only.

1700 Voyager definitely is not an off road bike. She's one heavy girl. Ya'll have fun.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

Quote from: Mulley on February 20, 2021, 10:17:39 PM
What kind of riding is at Wheeler? I didn't even realize there were trails (or roads) for riding. If I make it I'll be on a KTM 500 with knobbies.

There are a bunch of dirt/gravel roads in wheeler.  They are mostly pretty easy and can be driven in a minivan but there are spots that can be muddy and challenging if it's been raining.  Many of the roads run along the Tennessee river and are pretty scenic.  Wheeler is on both sides of the river but we will be on the north side. 

On the North side there are several sections of wheeler separated by a few miles of paved roads.  I don't have a good map of the area but google maps shows most of the stuff there:  https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5949374,-86.8104054,13z

If you are looking for hard core off road, this is not it.  I have ridden many of the roads in wheeler on my scooters.

Wheeler is just a few miles from my house so I ride there a lot.  Here's a link to a ride report with a couple of my rides there.
The RR includes a video made by @thinwater : https://advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-167#post-40314034

I'm not sure it would be worth coming all the way up here for this ride unless you really want to see the area.  It's only going to be a couple of hours of riding. 

If you do decide to come I assume you will be hauling your bike here.  You can park at my house which is just a few miles from the meeting place.  Let me know and I'll PM you my address.

Johnny Tobyone

Quote from: Mulley on February 20, 2021, 10:17:39 PM

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Region_4/NWRS/Zone_3/Wheeler_Complex/Wheeler/wlrtear.pdf

I should be there   Yes Cadillac /minivan friendly     taking a break from Westpoint (ice muddy)  & The Ridge   Although I tore my groin last time  on a dirt road :)
R1200R
CRF450L

klaviator

For those of you on ADV, we will be riding to the current tag on the Alabama Tag-o Rama:https://advrider.com/f/threads/alabama-tag-o-rama.420919/page-442 

This would be a good chance to grab it.

Mulley

Thanks for posting the ride and all of the info. I'm going to take advantage of a nice day and do some much needed work around the house.

Yes that sounds pathetic and sad but it is what it is.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

Quote from: Mulley on February 21, 2021, 09:10:25 AM
Thanks for posting the ride and all of the info. I'm going to take advantage of a nice day and do some much needed work around the house.

Yes that sounds pathetic and sad but it is what it is.

I understand.  Hopefully it won't be too long before we have a ride more worthy of making the long trip up here.

klaviator

Turnout was a bit better than I expected.

Like Johnny posted, the trails here were all Cadillac/minivan friendly.

My ride report is here:[https://advrider.com/f/threads/full-throttle-touring-150-through-the-rocket-city.647784/page-221][/url]