News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

There and Back Again -- Another DR350 Story

Started by Nice Goat, February 28, 2021, 12:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Quote from: klaviator on March 07, 2021, 08:15:03 PM
Will the bike be ready for Tellico at the end of the month?

Hoping to be finished by next weekend, if all goes well.

Wait until you see the gas tank...  ???

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Mulley

This thread is great. Thanks for taking the time to show how much love is going into this bike. I'm excited to see it and you back on the trail.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Nice Goat

Finally received the rest of the parts I needed to finish the handlebars and wheels.  Then I double-checked all of the bolts on the wheels and suspension and re-installed the gas tank and the seat.  The previous owner sold me the bike with nearly a full tank of gas, so I'm going to use up the tank before I install the new super tanker tank.  Should take about 80 miles...

Remaining: skid plate, gas tank, new tubes/tires, oil change, flush brake lines

Chuck & Susan

Looks goooood to go..... I see it's sporting the Motorcycle Alabama & Ride 4 Pie stickers.... It's official!!!

Looking good! I might need to get in line to buy this one..... LOL

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Nice Goat

Completed the oil change today.  The oil level was low and the color was dark, so it was time.  Changed the oil filter and o-rings, and also cleaned the strainer.  I was planning to change the air filter also, but the existing filter was nice and clean under the sock.  Airbox didn't look too bad on the inside, but there was a bit of mud and dirt around the seams of the access panel.  Cleaned it all up and put it back together.

Went for a ride on back roads up to Eva, then rode down to Cullman.  Rode around town a bit, then came back home.  My tank was not quite full, so today's ride was just enough to burn off most of the gas.  The bike didn't have any strange noises or vibrations, and it rode super quiet and smooth.  I did make a couple of adjustments to the levers when I got home.  But I didn't have any part lefts over after all of my work, so I guess that I can call the refresh a success.

The factory bash plate is inadequate, so I ordered one from Ricochet.  Still waiting for that.  Galfer never got back to me about the brake line quote, so I'll figure something else out there (maybe just assemble my own line from Goodridge parts).  About time to install the Big Ass Tank (BAT)....

Nice Goat

I've started the process of installing the super duper gas tank.  I wanted a large translucent tank, but most of the tanks made for the DR350 are white and around 4.2 gallons.  A little searching on the interwebs, and I found that people have successfully installed the Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank made for the XR650L.  There are instructions out there for installing the tank with and without modifying any bike parts, but I've discovered that if I do not modify some parts on my bike, then the tank will sit too high or too far forward, and there will be pressure points on the tank.  I want the tank to sit low and just far enough back to clear the forks, so that will be easier with a little minor cutting on the bike.

Specifically, I had to cut off part of a bracket that holds the seat and OEM tank, and I had to cut off the nubs that held the rubber bumpers under the OEM tank.  I completed those items earlier this week.  Now the tank fits like a dream.  In fact, the main Acerbis bracket that bolts to the engine mount fits perfectly.  Now, I need to make my own bracket to hold the tank to the engine mount and another bracket to hold the back of the tank (in front of the seat).  I got some 1/8" thick steel plate from Lowes and made rough cuts tonight.  Next, I need to bend them to shape, drill holes, and then smooth the edges.

One thing about this tank is that it has two petcocks, one on each side.  The right side fuel line crosses over to the left and passes very near the cylinder head.  For that reason, I ordered a piece of Thermo-Tec 1/2" Heat Shield from Amazon.  Maybe I don't need it, but better safe than sorry!

Also, my skid plate arrived!  I'll get that installed shortly also.

Nice Goat

Finally got the tank mounted this weekend.  I took my time cutting and shaping the brackets so that they would fit well.  Filled the tank approximately halfway, opened the petcocks, and let the bike sit for two days.  No leaks!  5.8 gallons, bitches!

Got my skidplate mounted also.

Nice Goat

Finally, the time had come for a longer ride.  Or, as we used to call it in the Navy, a "shakedown cruise."  Go out and shake the hell out of it and see what falls off.

I rode 117 miles today, stopping only for photographs.  You'll be pleased to learn that nothing fell off the bike.  No gas leaks, no loose bolts, no funny noises ... in short, "Op Test Sat" (i.e., "operational test satisfactory").  Used about 1/3 of a tank, so I am estimating that I have a range of about 300 miles per tank.

AST236

That sure is a pretty motorcycle...........:)

Nice Goat

Quote from: AST236 on May 26, 2021, 01:28:09 PM
That sure is a pretty motorcycle...........:)

Thanks, Frank!  How do you like my upgrades?

AST236

Looks great! Glad you're enjoying it!

How's your little one liking her new guitar?

Nice Goat

Quote from: AST236 on June 01, 2021, 11:22:20 AM
Looks great! Glad you're enjoying it!

How's your little one liking her new guitar?

She loves it!  Now that school is out, she's playing almost every day.  Maybe one day she'll be famous and can support her dad...

AST236

Glad to hear it! If you get down my way, ring me up and I'll buy you lunch.........

Chuck & Susan

Frank, If he get's down your way let me know. I'll ride up and buy you both lunch. I still owe him a lunch and would be good to meet you too.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Fencejumper09

Great stuff!  That is going to be a fun little ride!

Has anyone claimed first dibs when you sell it?  :D
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332