Royal Enfield Himalayan Enjoyment Value

Started by thinwater, March 18, 2021, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinwater

I bought a 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan, after tires estimated at $100 each, accessories (luggage ect), I have spent 6000 on it est. total.  I have almost exactly 24,000 miles on it right now 3/18/2021 at avg 80 mpg and fuel estimation at $2.50 I've put $750 of gas through it.  If I can do math I've enjoyed the fool out of this thing to this point for $0.28 per mile. ??? 8)  ;D

Just FYI

buddymc

Several of us circle around the REH as likely the most Bang for the Buck available to Budget Impaired Riders.  The low HP rating is the single negative factor.  Well, that and that in the circle I'm in we're all too cheap to buy anything new off a showroom floor!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

84 Goldwing GL1200 Standard, 03 BMW F650 City Street, backroads rider.

Gam

They have enough horsepower to get Itchy Boots to the tip of South America and further.

SoloRider73

Quote from: thinwater on March 18, 2021, 09:26:00 AM
I bought a 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan, after tires estimated at $100 each, accessories (luggage ect), I have spent 6000 on it est. total.  I have almost exactly 24,000 miles on it right now 3/18/2021 at avg 80 mpg and fuel estimation at $2.50 I've put $750 of gas through it.  If I can do math I've enjoyed the fool out of this thing to this point for $0.28 per mile. ??? 8)  ;D

Just FYI

I think the REH is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles.  It's not the best at anything, but it can do everything.  I've watched a lot of videos on the REH and it seems the people who actually own them love them.  People who have done a test ride are more on the fence.  Maybe it's better than the sum of its parts.

Question: If you owned a more road worthy bike and considered purchasing a second dual sport bike, would you buy a REH as a dual sport or would you go for a normal 250 dual sport?

klaviator

Since I have ridden a lot with Stephen I can say he does quite well on it.  It's not a bike for going blazing fast but it can certainly go fast enough to have fun and keep up on our rides.  I recently came across a ride report written by a noob who starts on a CSC San Gabriel 250.  He quickly realizes that bike will hold him back so he upgrades to a Himalayan.  It's a great report.  I read all 15 pages in a day or two.   If you are interested, here's the link: https://advrider.com/f/threads/exploring-california-journey-of-a-noob.1423549/

I rode Stephens Himalayan for a short ride and didn't really care for it.  That doesn't mean much because there have been several times I didn't care for a bike on the first ride and changed my mind when I rode it again on a longer ride.  I think it's a lot of bike for the money and I think it's a great concept in this day of highly specialized bike that sacrifice so much just to be good at one thing.

thinwater

Quote from: SoloRider73 on March 18, 2021, 07:26:31 PM
Question: If you owned a more road worthy bike and considered purchasing a second dual sport bike, would you buy a REH as a dual sport or would you go for a normal 250 dual sport?

If you are going to ride the bike a distance to then Dualsport I think the RE himalayan is the sweet spot, but its a little heavy to be considered a  hard dualsport.  If you were staying relatively close to home or hauling the bike at distance to dualsport, I'd go the lighter 225-300 range dualsport like Bashon, KLX, CRF, Yamaha XT.  All that considering you already have a more roadworthy bike.

In my case, only having one bike.  I'm still satisfied with the RE Himalayan choice, especially for what I've gotten out of it.  80% of my riding is paved rough backroads to get to dualsport, its the sweet spot for that combo.  I mean on the type of paved road I really like, I have speed and power left carving it up at 50mph (on the edge of stupidity).  A more powerful bike in that kind of situation is just power in unused reserve.  On Keel Mt, a hairpin requiring me to slow down, yeah I miss the power when pointed uphill coming out of a turn I had to go to 1st gear for as I watch everyone else blast out.  That is such a low percentage of what I get to ride.  One day I'll have more umph.  I think what I have has been really practical for me.  Especially if you have the itch for a motorcycle, oldest child recently married, and two more pre college. 

thinwater

Quote from: klaviator on March 18, 2021, 09:58:08 PM
I rode Stephens Himalayan for a short ride and didn't really care for it.  That doesn't mean much because there have been several times I didn't care for a bike on the first ride and changed my mind when I rode it again on a longer ride.  I think it's a lot of bike for the money and I think it's a great concept in this day of highly specialized bike that sacrifice so much just to be good at one thing.

Thats totally fine, just realize that he stepped off of a KLR 650 to ride it and got back on his KLR 650.  I'm sure the power difference was instantly noticeable.  He offered me a ride on his KLR and I thankfully declined because I didn't want to feel sluggish on my own back when I got back to it. 

buddymc

Stephen you've proven the REH in most everybody's eyes around here.  A turning point in my thinking was meeting 2 guys at a Fayetteville restaurant who were riding the TAT and both mounted on REHs.  Loaded down like pack mules, filthy, caked with mud, and grinning like monkeys!  The bikes matched them, except for the grins!  When questioned both guys were extreme in praising the versatility of the bikes.  Not the best at anything but pretty good at everything.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

84 Goldwing GL1200 Standard, 03 BMW F650 City Street, backroads rider.

klaviator

I can tell that Stephen is satisfied with his REH every time I ride with him.  I doubt the the other riders in our groups who have "better, faster" bikes are having any more fun that he is.  It's easy to get caught up in the "if only I had a better bike I would have more fun" mentality.  The REH would not be a good bike for someone with that mentality. 

The there is the "more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" idea.  Some people prefer being able to use a bike to its capabilities.  Other people want all the performance they can get.  There is no right or wrong here.  It's a matter of preference.  The REH is not for everyone but it is a great bike for some riders. 

thinwater

My point in the original post was mainly for people interested in the Himalayan, but scared of it for lack of time it has had to prove itself.  It has 24,000 miles on it and if I hadn't put new tires on it two weeks ago I'd have $200 less in it, even so I've had 24,000 miles for $0.281/mile.
  Most people don't put that many miles on their bike, so most people need not be afraid of it for the 3k, 6k, or 9k they'd put on it before they sold it.

Main point... Don't be scared of it and its easy on the wallet.

The tank guard rack has been shortened on the 2021's to get it farther from tall people's knees.  Mine is real close and I'm sure Klaviator's was spread eagle to get past them cause he's taller, someting else to be aware of.  So the 2021's may fit you better, and you can get a OEM taller touring seat now to put more room between you butt and feet.

TWJohn

Quote from: thinwater on March 20, 2021, 06:42:12 AM
My point in the original post was mainly for people interested in the Himalayan, but scared of it for lack of time it has had to prove itself.  It has 24,000 miles on it and if I hadn't put new tires on it two weeks ago I'd have $200 less in it, even so I've had 24,000 miles for $0.281/mile.
  Most people don't put that many miles on their bike, so most people need not be afraid of it for the 3k, 6k, or 9k they'd put on it before they sold it.

Main point... Don't be scared of it and its easy on the wallet.

The tank guard rack has been shortened on the 2021's to get it farther from tall people's knees.  Mine is real close and I'm sure Klaviator's was spread eagle to get past them cause he's taller, someting else to be aware of.  So the 2021's may fit you better, and you can get a OEM taller touring seat now to put more room between you butt and feet.

They seem like awesome bikes. I am very happy you have enjoyed it and has been reliable. I expect it to keep performing well for you. Great post and enjoy.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650