News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

History Repeats Itself

Started by Reserector, October 21, 2015, 07:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reserector

This is a photo challenge.  Here's how it works:

Click this link to view the map:  http://photogrammar.yale.edu/map/  It is a organized cache of photos taken between 1935 and 1945.
Click the green areas and view the photos that were taken in a particular area. (Pick an area close to you.)
Look through the photos, and see if you can find one that you can duplicate.
Go there, and try to retake the photo at the same angle and distance as the original.
Post them both here.

Extra points for overlaying them.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Ryanbroome

Guidedawg

I assume we want to incorporate the bike in the pic, or at least when possible?  There are few spots I can recognize in my area, but some that I do are inaccessible other than shots from a much further distance.

jrobinson

2015 pic is good......ride your bike to take the pic is better........bike in pic is BEST.

I would like to see this with any old pic, not just the ones from the site.

I also like pics through time of people. Same people at different ages.

rich

Thanks for sharing. The link leads to a wonderful collection of photos. I spent hours last night just surfing.

I thought I was well traveled in the good old USA! But I filtered on the photographer Arthur Rothstein and was amazed at the states he traveled through from '35 to '45.

Again, thank you for sharing.

Rich

Reserector

I found a couple of local pics that I thought would be easy, but I'm still hunting them.  But it sure is a fun thing to do on the bike. 

Reserector

Logs at Masonite Corporation, Laurel, MS

I couldn't get to the fenced-in area where the original was taken.  The smoke stack in the background no longer exists, but the water tower does.  Look closely.

Laurel, MS 1939

October 2015
The buildings in the background must have been demolished when the "S-curve" was fixe on I-59, because I distinctly remember seeing that "BOTTLING COMPANY" building.  I took this picture standing alongside cars that were waiting in Phillips Drive Thru.  I was holding a printed photo in my left hand, camera in my right, and wearing full gear and a crash helmet.  Hahaha.

People gathered at the bank, Laurel, MS in 1939

I stood in the intersection, and crouched down to simulate the original angle.  Again, with the helmet still on. 

This one had me thrown for a loop, until I realized it was the same bank, different point of view.

As I walked around by the bank, I recognized this shot, and took it from memory, because I didn't have a printed copy to study.  I later cropped the image it to be more accurate.

An interesting note:  The street in front of the bank was paved in the 1939 pic.  It is brick in the recent pic.  You can see a big difference in curb height in the bank pictures, because the bricks were apparently laid over pavement.
However, the reverse is true of the street with the horse and wagon; it is brick in the 1939 photo, but paved in the current shot.

jrobinson

Great job on the photos. Looking forward to getting out and taking some of these myself.

Ryanbroome

Quote from: Reserector on October 23, 2015, 10:34:14 AM
Logs at Masonite Corporation, Laurel, MS

I couldn't get to the fenced-in area where the original was taken.  The smoke stack in the background no longer exists, but the water tower does.  Look closely.

Laurel, MS 1939

October 2015
The buildings in the background must have been demolished when the "S-curve" was fixe on I-59, because I distinctly remember seeing that "BOTTLING COMPANY" building.  I took this picture standing alongside cars that were waiting in Phillips Drive Thru.  I was holding a printed photo in my left hand, camera in my right, and wearing full gear and a crash helmet.  Hahaha.

People gathered at the bank, Laurel, MS in 1939

I stood in the intersection, and crouched down to simulate the original angle.  Again, with the helmet still on. 

This one had me thrown for a loop, until I realized it was the same bank, different point of view.

As I walked around by the bank, I recognized this shot, and took it from memory, because I didn't have a printed copy to study.  I later cropped the image it to be more accurate.

An interesting note:  The street in front of the bank was paved in the 1939 pic.  It is brick in the recent pic.  You can see a big difference in curb height in the bank pictures, because the bricks were apparently laid over pavement.
However, the reverse is true of the street with the horse and wagon; it is brick in the 1939 photo, but paved in the current shot.

awesome job!

Ryanbroome

I'm not convinced this is it but it sure looks the same

Guidedawg

Mulley

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 23, 2015, 09:42:37 PM
I'm not convinced this is it but it sure looks the same

I'm pretty sure that's not the same but it sure looks like it. The are a few significant differences. The big one is the big hill in the background. Then look at the foundation for the house. One is very close to grade while the other is elevated with steps to the porch.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Reserector

The hill is there in the background.  The camera angle is slightly different, but if you allow for that, it is correct.
The foundation of the house is the same elevation.  It appears they've done some work on the porch that did away with the facia boards in the old pic. 
I'm convinced. 
Hey, I wonder if the current owner would love to see the old picture of their home.  I know I would.

Ryanbroome

Quote from: Reserector on October 26, 2015, 07:26:20 AM
The hill is there in the background.  The camera angle is slightly different, but if you allow for that, it is correct.
The foundation of the house is the same elevation.  It appears they've done some work on the porch that did away with the facia boards in the old pic. 
I'm convinced. 
Hey, I wonder if the current owner would love to see the old picture of their home.  I know I would.

The same question has crossed my mine. I think I'll go talk to them