News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Key West Road Trip - Any Suggestions?

Started by Chuck & Susan, March 24, 2021, 11:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck & Susan

Susan and I are taking a first time ride to Key West. We are open to suggestions on things to do or not to fool with. I have been rereading the past postings of Key West rides and found them very interesting. Here are the links that I have enjoyed:

1) Key West at 50 - @jrobinson - 2008
http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2429.0

2) RFP #SE: Key West Iron Butt - @Nice Goat - 2016 - Planning Thread
http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=616.0

3) Gypsy Chickens in an Unholy Land - @Nice Goat - 2016 - Ride report
http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=929.0

4) Key West Group Ride - @Chitza - 2017 - Postponed
http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2422.0

Thanks folks for posting those.

We are leaving Friday, April 2nd and expecting to be on the bike traveling for about 10 days. This is just going to be a leisure trip and we are leaving a lot open ended to what ever seems good at the time.

Day 1 we ride 322mi. We will take I-10 till we get past the spring breakers and the beach areas of the Florida panhandle. Then head to US Hwy 98 South. We have booked a room the first night at the Good Times Marina that @jrobinson has suggested with dinner at Who Dat on location.

Day 2 will be 310mi to the Naples area. mostly off interstate till maybe the Fort Myers area then I-75 to Hwy 41 area. Nothing booked and will make that call at the time.

Day 3 will be 111mi across the everglades on US Hwy 41 to Florida City on Easter Sunday. Again nothing booked and will spend most of the day enjoying the glades and watching the gators. An airboat ride may be in the cards, there are several along the route. And a stop at the ValuJet Flight 592 Memorial.

Day 4 will be 126mi ride through the keys and landing in Key West for 2 nights. We have booked a room at the Duval Inn for the 2 nights. Just planning on enjoying Key West and the food. I do plan to tag Mile Post 0 with a MC-AL sticker.... Anyone have must try suggestions or need to stay away from advice?

Day 6 we will head home. I am planning a lunch stop at Alabama Jacks just as we hit the mainland again. About 860mi and will take more off interstate Highways. We may take 2 - 4 days. nothing booked just wandering our way back.

Yep sounds kind of open ended and just a leisure ride. Very Little Itinerary. 

Susan will be taking pics and I'll post a report along the way or when we get back.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

jrobinson

I had 3 rules on the first trip. 1. no interstate. 2. No fast food. 3. There's no rules.   

on the 2008 trip, we road straight to Mexico Beach(pre-hurricane wipeout) and took a left. I stayed as close to the coast as possible. Every time I could see the gulf, we stopped to take in the fresh air. Being from the north part of the state, we get excited over fresh seafood. We stopped at every local place we suspected seafood was served. I know that won't mean much to you. lol

Sanibel and Captiva Islands are nice stopping points. Everything is pricey on the islands. The Mucky Duck on Captiva offers a great sunset view.

Nice ride across Fla to get to The Keys. First night ate at Lazydays on Islamorada. Get there early or make a reservation.

We just walked around Key West for the day and ate at Sloppy Joes, good food. Also took the Southern Most Buoy pic.

We traveled north on Hwy 1 along the Atlantic Coast to Daytona and Bruce Rothmeyer HD, world's largest Harley dealer. Worth the stop even if you don't have a Harley.

On the 2016 trip, it was a hair on fire Iron Buttesqe ride going down.  800+ miles in 15 hours. PSA -- Don't have battery issues or fall over before you make the first mile.

You can wheelie through an intersection while the local popo looks on in the some Ga. towns.

Take the trolley ride around Key West. Then go to Mallory Square to watch the sunset and the street performers is a must. Get there early.

While at Mallory Square, be careful with who you are around. Strange happenings have been reported.

When you get to Goodtimes Motel and Marina, tell Martin and Dawn that Johnny and Sandy says "Hi".

Enjoy your trip.

Nice Goat

I laughed so hard on our trip that I nearly broke my pancreas.  I look forward to making this trip one day with my wife, but she ain't nowhere near as funny as JT, Kevin, Tony, Darrin, Johnny, Sandy, and Brian.  Jesus, did we act like a bunch of delinquents at times...

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck & Susan

Johnny several of those things are on the list. And there will be some interstate, but not a lot. Mainly to dodge the spring break beach crap. I cant speak for the dropping the bike part but I think the wing is good to go. Unlike Sandy, Susan will whip my butt if I drop her.... lol

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

Nice Goat, You have no Idea how bad I was wanting to join yall on that ride. Work just wasn't going to let it happen. I am retired now so if you and the other clowns want to try it again sometime, I'm all in!!

Susan wants me on more road trips to get me out of the house every now and then.

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066