Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dual Sporting the Free State 2021

Started by klaviator, April 12, 2021, 04:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

klaviator

klaviator

After a Chilly Saturday night I got up and headed over to a group of early risers and joined in on the conversation.

Soon Al got up and heated up the leftover bacon and biscuits and we had breakfast.  We hung out a bit.  Some people left for home.  QUITTERS!!!

Some of us headed out around 9:30 for more riding.  We turned south on 33 and quickly turned right on to some Forest service roads.  This area has some long dirt gravel roads and you can ride for a long time without hitting any pavement.  So we rode for a while before finding ourselves on a rough and steep paved road.  It didn't look familiar so that's how I knew we were lost ::)

No problem, we turned around and got back on track.  Now IMO to be a true adventure three things should happen.  Get lost at least once, have at least one bike break down and someone needs to fall down.  Well we had one out of three and plenty of time left.  Well it turned out we didn't need much more time.  We're riding along and suddenly no one is in my mirrors.

Oh, OH!

I turned around and didn't go far before finding the rest of the group parked on the side of the road.

Rich's chain had come off.  So we worked on getting it back on.  It was so loose it went back on pretty easily.  Now we needed to tighten it.  Someone had a socket that fit the Axle but the adjuster nuts were 13mm.  We had plenty of 12 and 14mm wrenches but no 13s.  Someone had an adjustable wrench.  While Rich was messing with his bike it fell over knocking him over as well.

Picture Time!!!

This ride was now officially an adventure!!

Rich finishing the job.

After a bunch of comments about "cheap china bikes" we were soon ready to ride. :D

klaviator

On the road again.

We saw a sign for some trail head.  I figured it was a dead end but we turned to check it out.  The road started out fairly straight and not that exciting but soon got better.

It did dead end in a canyon but was worth the ride.

This bridge was in better shape than the one yesterday.

But it just wasn't as much of an adventure.

We rode some more and ended up in Double Springs were we got gas and took a break.

klaviator

Now it was time to find the Forest Service road i had found on Monday but turned around when it got rough.  So we headed south on 33 until we got to an intersection and turned left.  That turned out to be the wrong road.  So we back tracked and headed south on 33.  We took another left which also turned out to be the wrong road.  The FSR I was looking for was on the Bankhead map, which I had left at home but wasn't on google maps or Rich's GPS. 

No problem, we would eventually find it.  While riding down the second wrong road I saw a cool creek running below some cliffs.  I was looking for a way to get to it when I saw a narrow path going off the road towards it.  It wasn't marked.  Time to explore.  It was some interesting single track that was actually a small stream for a bit.

Cool spot.

There were more trails down there but we decided they were horse or hiking trails so we headed back to the road.

Time to find that Forest service road!

SoloRider73

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Rich was setup.  Rich's chain came off and Win just happened to be there with a camera?  Coincidence I think not.

Looks like you guys had a great time.  I was watching the rain on radar and it looks like everything worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klaviator

The next road we turned of on led us to the road I was looking for.  We headed down and stopped before it got rough.  John let some air out of his tires.  I suggested the young guys do ahead because I would be going slow.  David and Chris blasted ahead.  It did turn out to be pretty rough and rutted in spots but I didn't feel like I was in over my head.  I was glad I wasn't on my 400 pound KLR.  Eventually the trail ended at a bluff on the Sipsey River.  As soon as I stopped and parked I heard motor coming towards me. 

Whaat????

It was this boat coming down a little creek.

I looked around.  What a cool spot.  My pictures don't do it justice.

The pic doesn't show it but just before getting to the bluff was a low area covered with about 8 inches of whale snot.  It was real slick but no one dropped it there.

There was a waterfalls across the river.  I took a pic but you can barely see it.  It was pretty loud.

klaviator

David headed up  trail along the little creek so I followed him.

What a beautiful and peaceful spot.

The water looks dirty in the pics but it wasn't. 

I hiked up to a spot where I could look down on our bikes.

I told the rest of the group they needed to do the short hike up the creek.

John was so impressed with this spot he said he would come back with his jeep and camp back here.

klaviator

It was time to ride back up the trail.  I didn't get any pics coming down and I planned to fix that going back.  I headed up first so I could find a good spot.  I got to a rough spot and stopped to plan my route when I heard a bike coming behind me.  I guess this would be the spot.  I parked the bike and got off...... just in time for Chris to stop beside me and...

He thought quick enough to jump off as he was falling and not get trapped under the bike. 

David came by next.  He didn't even slow down.

I rode up a bit and stopped again.

I know the trail doesn't look rough in the pics but....you know how pics are.  In reality it's pretty easy if you are an expert dirt rider.  It would even be easy for me if I would just keep my speed up and keep going.  Instead I make it hard for myself because I'm chicken.

At least I'm not the only one.

David liked it so much he went back down and back up.

John goes slow but nothing stops his mighty TW.

After that we headed back to camp.  Al fired up the grill and we had plenty of food left for lunch.  Then we all packed up and headed home.

Oh yeah, Rich managed to get out of there without locking his keys in his truck :D

klaviator

Some final thoughts.  First a big thanks to Al and Meloney.  Without them this event wouldn't even happen.  They brought the grill, food and a bunch of other stuff (Like the surging generator :D) that really help make this such a great event.

Thanks to everyone else who pitched in and brought stuff and helped out.

It was great seeing old friends, some of whom I haven't seen since the last time we did this 2 years ago.

It was great making new friends.  James, Chris and Kay were there for the first time.  Hopefully it won't be the last.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

I told Rich to bring a spare key fob next year and give it to me as soon as he arrives :D

If anyone has any pics, stories or thoughts to share feel free to add them here.

Nice Goat

Wonderful ride report!  Glad you all had a good time!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Sweeper

Saturday was a hard day. A beer run was needed. 33 was a blast with the throttle pinned the entire trip.

Turns out a metal tent with no window sleeps pretty good. I slept until 7:30.
I plan to work on my gps skills so that I can use the fox tracks to do a better job of sweeping.

Sweeper

That trail to the river Sunday was a blast. I stopped and talked to Rich and then decided I had to go for it. Started down hugging the right side and found a ridge under the leaves. I was down in the first thirty feet. Made me get serious about.

TWJohn

This was a great write up. I think everyone enjoyed the ride and company.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

lazeebum

Great report on a great event. Maybe I can make the fall ride.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk