News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Key West Stimulus Ride 2021

Started by Chuck & Susan, April 18, 2021, 01:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck & Susan

Susan and I have had a motorcycle trip to Key West on our mind for several years. Further fueled by the trips that were made by the folks here on Motorcycle Alabama. While it would not be the shenanigans trip that sounded so awesome it would be a good ride. The stars aligned at home and with the Stimulus money that the feds wanted us to spend the time was right. We would help stimulate Key West!

April 2nd:  4 hr 47 min (322 mi)

It was cold at 35deg as we left home that morning. Seat heaters are a wonderful thing. We
took I-10 east (breaking Johnny's rule 1. no interstate.) to Hwy-19 and then US-98 to Steinhatchee, FL to stay at the Good Time Marina and Hotel.  Johnny Robinson recommended this place and it a very pretty place.  The restaurant Who Dat is awesome.  The food was fresh and delicious.  The hotel room was quaint.  The pelicans were plentiful.  They hung around the dock where the fish were cleaned.  They got a daily dinner of scrapes and would swoop in to eat.

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

April 3rd:  5 hr 13 min (323 mi)

From Steinhatchee we rode to Naples.  There we stayed at a Super 8 to begin our trip across the Everglades the next day.  Just a good day of riding.  They weather was beautiful.  Still a bit cool but clear skies. We decided that we would take US-98 to I-75 and ride on to the hotel. There was a Cracker Barrel right next door. Just a good day of travel on the bike.

There was a OH NO moment as we traveled south on I-75 just north of the Tampa area. I received an emergency alert on my phone to evacuate the area that a collapse of the Piney Point Stacks was imminent. I remember passing a nuclear power plant just a few miles back and was watching steam rising from one of the 2 stacks. I asked Susan to google Piney Point to see if that was it. Nope, Not nuclear. It was a water reservoir that was about to break beside US-41 a few miles west of us. Glad we didn't take US-41. They closed the highway.

April 4th:  2 hr 14 min (111 mi)

From Naples we rode the Everglades (US-41).  We took our time.  Stopped for an airboat and swamp buggy ride.  Saw ONE alligator.  It was still cold and the water was very low.  The gators where not moving around.  On the swamp buggy ride, we saw a bear, a deer and a few vultures. All in all, in was an enjoyable trip. The glades are so massive in size.

We also stopped at the smallest post office in America.  Of course, it was closed but still neat to see it. 

We continued our ride to Florida City for a night stay.  The next day was our ride to Key West. 

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

April 5th:  2 hr 41 min (126 mi)

Off to Key West!!!  The ride was gorgeous.  Beautiful blue skies, nice weather.  We rode through the upper Keys and middle Keys without any problems.  We just took our time to enjoy the sights.  The water is so blue and aqua.  Pictures do not do it justice.  It took us about 4 hours to do the ride.  The 7-mile bridge was kind of a slow go, but well worth the ride. 

We arrived at our hotel, the Duval Inn.  Quaint little cottage style house turned into several rooms.  We were just off Duval Street in the middle of town.  On our first night there we walked Duval to Mallory Square just taking in the sights.  We ate Amigos, Home of the Square Taco.  It was pretty good. 

Oh, did I mention the chickens everywhere.  We had a hen and chicks join us for dinner.

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

April 6th.  No Bike all walking and trolley.

The day was to explore Key West.  We purchased a ride on the Old Town Trolley.  We got to ride around the entire island.  The trolley had 13 stops where you could get off and explore and then catch another trolley to ride again.  It was great way to see the island and the drivers were great tour guides telling you about the history of the island.

Our first stop was Hemmingway's Museum. Gorgeous place.  Even found a 6-toe cat. 

When Sloppy Joes made a sudden move to its present day location on May 5, 1937, in true Key West fashion, the bar never actually closed during the transition–customers simply picked up their drinks and carried them, along with every piece of furniture in the place, down the block to 201 Duval Street. Ernest was asked if he wanted anything from the old site, He said yes, and that he had pissed a lot of money away drinking there, so he took the urinal from the men's room. It is the base of the fountain in this next pic.

Next stop – Fort East Martello.  This was a fort that was built in 1862 to defend Key West from a Confederate sea assault.  There is where we got to meet Robert the Doll.  Robert is a haunted doll that is about 105 years old.  It is supposed to move and giggle on its own.  You are to ask permission to take the doll's picture.  If you don't, bad things could happen to you.

Of course, Susan asked permission to take the pictures. 

Next stop was the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory.  Hundreds of butterflies, plants and two flamingos.  One tried to hitch a ride on Chuck. 

We walked to the most southern end where there was a small beach and short pier. The trolley driver had stated the pier was the beginning of a road to Cuba (just joking). We had to leave a Motorcycle Alabama sticker.

Back to the hotel for a great dinner at a place called Key West Fish & Chips.  It was beside our hotel and the food was great. 

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

April 7th.  4 hr 48 min (239 miles)

Got up early (before traffic started) and went to place Motorcycle Alabama stickers in a couple of places and to get the picture of the Southernmost Point Buoy. 

We left Key West to start heading back home.  Of course, we had to stop at Alabama Jack's for lunch (and to leave a couple stickers).  Great place.  Awesome food.

From there we rode north on Hwy-997 till it turned into US-27 to Clewiston, FL.  We rode through fields of sugar cane and orange groves.  Stopped there for overnight.  Weather continued to be great.

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Nice Goat

What a great ride report!  It definitely makes me want to go back.  One day, my wife and I will make this same trip together.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: Nice Goat on April 23, 2021, 03:38:31 PM
What a great ride report!  It definitely makes me want to go back.  One day, my wife and I will make this same trip together.

Thanks Nice Goat, It was a great retreat for the wife and I. We both needed a get away trip together. It was the first in several years and Key West was a very good choice. You both should enjoy it.

More stickers got placed than what we pictured while we where there. Thanks again.

I'll post a summery this afternoon of the rest of the ride home.

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

April 8th.  4 hr 17 min (215 miles)

From Clewiston we rode to Crystal River, FL.  Via US-27 to US-98 then stayed the night there.  Weather was getting cloudy by then. 

April 9th.  2 hr 23 min (145 miles)

From Crystal River we rode to Lamont, FL. Via US-98 to Hwy-19. There we hit the leading edge of a storm and decided to stay at a Super 8 (been there before) at the I-10 junction.  That is where we stayed for two nights because of the bad weather coming through our home area.  There where severe storms for two days along the gulf coast with very high winds, heavy lightning, and hail the size of softballs 4inch. I did not even care to be riding in it alone much less with my wife on the bike.

April 10th .  was just a rainy day in a hotel.

There were 2 restaurants by the hotel, a Hardies and Roboto Tokyo Grill. We broke Johnny's rule "2. No fast food". The Tokyo wasn't going to cut it for 2 days. It had a limited menu but was good food. I guess we kept rule "3. There's no rules."  (Sorry Johnny, we tried.) We were only 3 hours from home.

April 11th.  3 hr 26 min (250 miles)

We left Lamont on I-10 with cloudy skies and a threat of rain.  However, we managed to skip the rain showers and got home to clear skies.  (Again, my good luck charm Susan was with me. In all our years of traveling she has yet to get wet riding in the rain).

We had a blast on this trip.  Another item checked off the Bucket List. 

I or we would still entertain a MC-AL group ride with the shenanigans in the future!!!

Chuck & Susan both contributed to this report with Susan taking all the photos. Chuck's flip phone is not good for photos.

KEY WEST FL. Well worth the stimulus trip!!  TWO THUMBS UP!!

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Guidedawg

So glad you got to make the trip. It sounds more relaxing than the Corona-cation adventure.

Rebecca has only ridden with me a few times and it has probably rained on at least 1/3 of those.