Got in a little camping and riding. Picked up a new bike also.

Started by TN_twowheeladdict, June 14, 2021, 08:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_twowheeladdict

I've been very interested in the KLX300SM since I saw the first news releases and reviews.  I really enjoyed my 2012 KLX250S but I also realize that I am on paved back roads much more than in the dirt.  There are very few 300 lb motorcycles out there that are capable on the street and have the ability to pop on the interstate to get an exit or two in order to avoid a city or town. 

I had to go to Americus, GA to purchase.  None of the dealers around here that I am willing to deal with got in a green SM.

My plan for this bike is to load it on the receiver carrier behind my pickup truck to take on work trips and other adventures where I don't want the reduced fuel economy of pulling my trailer. 

I got in 80 break in miles when I picked it up and am very impressed with it.  I saved the Sargent seat from my KLX250S so one modification out of the way.

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Nice Goat

I'm trying to lose some weight (again).  I'd really love one of these new 300cc dual sports, either Kawi or Honda.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

SoloRider73

I bet the SM is fun to ride on backroads.  My DR suspension was great on rough backroads.

I did notice one thing. Isn't that bike water cooled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: SoloRider73 on June 18, 2021, 01:21:03 PM
I bet the SM is fun to ride on backroads.  My DR suspension was great on rough backroads.

I did notice one thing. Isn't that bike water cooled?

Yep.   :-[

Before I bought my 2012 KLX250S I was very interested in the 2010 KLX250SF with the blue wheels.  The closest I could find one was north of Dallas and it was one of those dealers that charged all manner of fees and dealer profit add ons.

I had really considered getting the KLX230 to stay with air cooled, but when the KLX300SM came out I was a goner.  Even though it has 9 inches of suspension travel, it is definitely valved and sprung for the street.  The tighter the curves the better.  Handles way better than my KLX250S did.  For my intended use I needed light, and enough power to keep up with traffic on the highways as well as run down the interstate for a couple exits. 

Doing the minimum upgrades while building my wish list.  Seat already done of course.  Moving the GPS mount and battery  tender lead over today.  Getting in a rack designed to hold the rotopax fuel pax, but can't find the official mount anywhere.  Might have to make my own.  Adding Grip Puppies because there is some high frequency vibes in the bars that will hopefully diminish as I get more miles on it. 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

SoloRider73

I'm more of a right tool for the right job kind of guy.  A 300SM is a good option since you already have a couple bikes that could perform off-road duty. I'm a enduro guy at heart due to the high flat bars and suspension travel.

I dropped off the V7 at Sloan's yesterday for a rear drive repair and new tires. They had very few Japanese bikes in stock.  Most stock was Indian, KTM, Vespa and Moto Guzzi.  They had a Centenario V7 and V85TT.