News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Nail in new tire

Started by IceCold4x4, October 22, 2015, 09:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So of course I get a nail in the tire i just had mounted last week. I've been annoyed at the amount of cash I've been charged to mount and balance these tires now  (50 for the rear and 60 for the front). Nail is in the dead center of the tread. Figure an inside patch would be best, Anyone know of somewhere that would do it and NOT charge me another ridiculous fee? It's the rear so i can bring in just the tire if that helps.

Brian A

Unsolicited question/comment:  Why would you not plug it? I have plugged every flat I have gotten on a tubeless motorcycle tire (and car and truck tire) and never had one fail.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Zeus

Why don't you just try plugging it while it's on the bike and save yourself time, money, labor and additional grief. I just use the cheap Walmart plugs and have been doing it for many years. I've never slung one out and tested at speeds I won't include in this post. 😎

Ryanbroome

Quote from: Brian A on October 22, 2015, 09:29:20 PM
Unsolicited question/comment:  Why would you not plug it? I have plugged every flat I have gotten on a tubeless motorcycle tire (and car and truck tire) and never had one fail.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Me too. Unless it's a bolt I'd do the same

klaviator

I have plugged a few motorcycle tires and some car/truck tires using the sticky strings.  Never had one fail or leak on me.  I once put 14k miles on a rear tire on my Yamaha Venture that had been plugged that way.

The only plug that ever leaked on me was the plug that came stock on my BMW R1100GS.  It was not a sticky string but had some funky shape.

IceCold4x4

I worked at a shop and have mounted a few tires. Just prefer the inner patches as I've never seen one let go. Plus I'd imagine a plug would limit speed / possibly not handle a dragstrip launch / burnout. 

springer

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on October 22, 2015, 09:19:04 PM
So of course I get a nail in the tire i just had mounted last week. I've been annoyed at the amount of cash I've been charged to mount and balance these tires now  (50 for the rear and 60 for the front). Nail is in the dead center of the tread. Figure an inside patch would be best, Anyone know of somewhere that would do it and NOT charge me another ridiculous fee? It's the rear so i can bring in just the tire if that helps.
A inside patch will not work on a lot of modern motorcycle tires, nor does the inside tire plug. A lot of new tires will have a raised pattern on the inside of the tire. For example a Michelin tire will have a waffle type pattern. A inside patch will not work because the inside pattern will provide a way for air to escape.
A few years ago I had about a dozen flats during one summer. This was the spring/summer that Tuscaloosa had that bad tornado downtown. I live in Hueytown and work in Tuscaloosa plus my favorite riding area is in the Lock 17 area. That entire summer there was demolition of homes and the rebuilding of new homes. Nails, screws, and other sharp stuff was everywhere.  ;)

The only thing that worked half way decent was a rope plug, like what has been said above. /\     
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: springer on October 22, 2015, 10:05:11 PM
A inside patch will not work on a lot of modern motorcycle tires, nor does the inside tire plug. A lot of new tires will have a raised pattern on the inside of the tire. For example a Michelin tire will have a waffle type pattern. A inside patch will not work because the inside pattern will provide a way for air to escape.
A few years ago I had about a dozen flats during one summer. This was the spring/summer that Tuscaloosa had that bad tornado downtown. I live in Hueytown and work in Tuscaloosa plus my favorite riding area is in the Lock 17 area. That entire summer there was demolition of homes and the rebuilding of new homes. Nails, screws, and other sharp stuff was everywhere.  ;)

The only thing that worked half way decent was a rope plug, like what has been said above. /\     

You take a grinder to the inside pattern and smooth a section that's about half an inch to an inch larger than the patch you use. but  you have to be careful to not go too deep. but that being said, if i do the rope plug, how well will it tolerate hooliganism? ( not that i do too much of that but if I do make a pass down the strip and hit 120 I don't want to find out the hard way that it failed.)

KevinB

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on October 22, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
...if i do the rope plug, how well will it tolerate hooliganism? ( not that i do too much of that but if I do make a pass down the strip and hit 120 I don't want to find out the hard way that it failed.)

I just got new tires on my work vehicle a couple of weeks ago. The tires that came off had probably a dozen or so plugs total (it's amazing the amount of nails/screws on the side of the roadway). My new set has two already. I've been in pursuits and driven 130 - 140 mph on numerous occasions without worry or incident.

kdtrull

The Kung fu is strong in sticky string and slime tire repair tool kits.  I believe they both contain bonding agents that adhere throughout the puncture cross section.

springer

Quote from: springer on October 22, 2015, 10:05:11 PM

You take a grinder to the inside pattern and smooth a section that's about half an inch to an inch larger than the patch you use. but  you have to be careful to not go too deep. but that being said, if i do the rope plug, how well will it tolerate hooliganism? ( not that i do too much of that but if I do make a pass down the strip and hit 120 I don't want to find out the hard way that it failed.)
Then you buy a new tire, simple.
That is what I started doing. My last 2 flat was with less than 1k miles on the tires. I trashed both and bought a new one.

Cheaper to buy a new tire than paying a medical bill.

Not a fan on grinding on the inside of a tire.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Brian A

...... but that being said, if i do the rope plug, how well will it tolerate hooliganism? ( not that i do too much of that but if I do make a pass down the strip and hit 120 I don't want to find out the hard way that it failed.)

I have never had one of the gooey rope "plugs" fail. On anything. Ever. As far as hooliganism.... I have had a few applications on motorcycles see speeds well in excess of the posted limit and some knee dragging stuff too.

The Shinko 705 rear that I put on the Versys a few years ago got a nail in it the FIRST first time I rode on it. I plugged it in the driveway and never looked back. Never a problem with it and that included 100+ mph on the road and some pretty aggressive riding on dirt and gravel roads and a few occasions of "getting some air" over water breaks on some forest service trails.

As you know and has been mentioned, the gooey ropes have a bonding agent that pretty much cements them to the rubber tire. FWIW (and again, I am pretty sure you already know this): proper installation is kinda important.

I have never, and won't ever, use any little rubber plug gizmo. I have heard that they can and do fail.

You asked about shops that will do your desired work for a decent price. I have use Moto Ace in Leeds if I don't feel like removing/mounting a tire. I think their charge is about half what you paid (off the bike) to remove and mount a tire. I don't know what they charge for flat repair.

Seems you have a majority opinion to use the rope plug option, but if you choose not to - and it is certainly an option you should exercise if you simply prefer that option - then me thinks you are just going to have to pay the price of admission.

Ryanbroome

Quote from: KevinB on October 22, 2015, 10:46:12 PM
...if i do the rope plug, how well will it tolerate hooliganism? ( not that i do too much of that but if I do make a pass down the strip and hit 120 I don't want to find out the hard way that it failed.)

I just got new tires on my work vehicle a couple of weeks ago. The tires that came off had probably a dozen or so plugs total (it's amazing the amount of nails/screws on the side of the roadway). My new set has two already. I've been in pursuits and driven 130 - 140 mph on numerous occasions without worry or incident.

Where do I sign up for THAT ride along?

KevinB

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 23, 2015, 07:39:18 AM

Where do I sign up for THAT ride along?

Fun in a Charger...not so fun in a Tahoe.

Reserector

One more vote for the rope plug.  I have had them fail, but not until the tie was worn so thin there was nothing left for it to grip.
I also will that the inside patch plug is the best, hands-down.  But as was mentioned, the raised pattern must be buffed smooth without grinding into the carcass itself.  Takes skill, and most shops won't do it.  I'll do it, but I live in Laurel, MS.  I wouldn't even charge a brother.
I ordered my patch plugs online, and keep a few on hand.  I change my own tires, so it's not a big deal for me to break one down and fix it.

So I would suggest that you find a BamaRides member who will help you break it down.  Order the plugs, and take a grinder or tire buffer with you.  Do the job yourself, meet up with a member, and maybe go riding afterward.