Purchase opinions for you Triumph Tiger experts.

Started by Madmanmike, July 18, 2021, 03:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmanmike

I have been looking for a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200. I found 2, each a little over 3 hours away. Opinions, please.

'13 Explorer Standard. A few small upgrades. No boxes. 12,xxx miles. Asking $8800.
'17 Explorer XCa. Loaded. Most all bells and whistles. Side and top (hard side) boxes. 19,xxx miles. Ask $13,999.

Of course, newer is newer, but the '17 will need 20k service soon. The '13? Well, 8 years old but fewer miles.

Both appear to have been well cared for. Both are at dealers, whom are closed today and  tomorrow, so I am unable to ask about the bikes until Tuesday. Which one would be at the top of your list and what questions would you ask them on Tuesday?

1. Any service records?
2. All recalls done?

I have a feeling most would say newer is better, but $4k buys nice boxes and a few other farkles (did I use that right?).

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your responses.
Michael

klaviator

I'd be looking at a tiger 800 or 900.  If you have any desire to ride off the pavement or even tight twisty roads the extra weight and power of the 1200 will be a handicap.  The only place I see the 1200 being better is on the highway. 

Nice Goat

If I had to choose, I would want the blue one.  As you said, it's already set up.  I noticed that it also has Rox Risers and a taller windshield.  To Win's point, these bikes are best suited to pavement and hard-packed dirt roads.  I got to ride Shane's 1200 Explorer a couple of years ago.  It's a sweet bike.  Great engine too.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: klaviator on July 18, 2021, 04:10:28 PM
I'd be looking at a tiger 800 or 900.  If you have any desire to ride off the pavement or even tight twisty roads the extra weight and power of the 1200 will be a handicap.  The only place I see the 1200 being better is on the highway.

But shaft over chain, electronic cruise control are big plusses for the 1200s.  My Triumph Trophy SE was surprisingly nimble with the electronically adjustable suspension.  It was only slow speeds did the weight come into play. 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

TN_twowheeladdict

In another thread you said you tried the Trophy SE and didn't like it.  The Tiger Explorer is pretty much the same drivetrain, just in adventure form. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Madmanmike

Quote from: TN_twowheeladdict on July 18, 2021, 09:19:41 PM
In another thread you said you tried the Trophy SE and didn't like it.  The Tiger Explorer is pretty much the same drivetrain, just in adventure form.
That is true. I think if I ever decide to get another purely cruiser or dressed bagger style bike, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything but a Harley. Over the last 35 years I have been riding them,I have become accustomed to the sound and feel. The potato thump is ingrained in my mind as the way things should sound tooling down the highway. I got rid of the fatboy for purely comfort reasons. My butt was sore after only 40 miles or so. I changed seats. I had the Airhawk. Wasn't enough. I have also become interested in the adventure side of things in the last year. The stars aligned and it was time to move to something different. So the fatboy is gone. I am still interested in Triumph. I loved my Daytona. And the explorer is sexy looking. I looked at a super tenere, but it was a little pricey and the looks didn't blow me away.

I am not married to the idea of a 1200. But I am leaning that way. Many say the weight is an issue off the pavement. Granted, I haven't been off road since my youth, but being a Harley rider, I am intimately familiar with heavy bikes. Yeah, yeah, but it's different off road. That's correct. But I'm not ever gonna ride motocross on it. Some gravel. Some fire and dirt roads. Nothing terribly challenging. A buddy I ride with, we are already discussing getting inexpensive Chinese 250s to play in the dirt.

So yeah, when it comes to bikes, I am ruled more by emotion than facts. But I guess that's why there are so many different bikes to choose from. I am waiting to hear about a '17 Tiger 800 too, so I am keeping an open mind regarding displacement.

Gosh, this got long. Thanks for reading.
Michael

LawnmowerRG

As a long time R1200GS owner I can say the weight is there. The mid class/800ish machines are better offroad. The big bikes are amazingly good if you can ride them. Mostly you have to be committed to go. If you are timid and hesitant it will punish you.
As for the smaller bikes the power is not lacking for the street. Remember a 600 sport bike now has the power of a 1000 from 20 years ago. In the adventure class the big bike have so much power now that it's a handicap offroad. If you don't have or use the traction control.

The quality is there for the Triumph. I wouldn't really be scared of either bike.

If you are honest with yourself about how you really will ride it. you should be happy. My 1200 is good at touring. It shines when you go to NC or North George and ride some dirt roads on your trip. I have done over a 100 miles of dirt on those trips more than once. It is capable of doing wide single track, but it will work you. The bike is wide enough that many times you only get one line choice.

I hope that helps.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: Madmanmike on July 19, 2021, 06:28:45 AM
That is true. I think if I ever decide to get another purely cruiser or dressed bagger style bike, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything but a Harley. Over the last 35 years I have been riding them,I have become accustomed to the sound and feel. The potato thump is ingrained in my mind as the way things should sound tooling down the highway. I got rid of the fatboy for purely comfort reasons. My butt was sore after only 40 miles or so. I changed seats. I had the Airhawk. Wasn't enough. I have also become interested in the adventure side of things in the last year. The stars aligned and it was time to move to something different. So the fatboy is gone. I am still interested in Triumph. I loved my Daytona. And the explorer is sexy looking. I looked at a super tenere, but it was a little pricey and the looks didn't blow me away.

I am not married to the idea of a 1200. But I am leaning that way. Many say the weight is an issue off the pavement. Granted, I haven't been off road since my youth, but being a Harley rider, I am intimately familiar with heavy bikes. Yeah, yeah, but it's different off road. That's correct. But I'm not ever gonna ride motocross on it. Some gravel. Some fire and dirt roads. Nothing terribly challenging. A buddy I ride with, we are already discussing getting inexpensive Chinese 250s to play in the dirt.

So yeah, when it comes to bikes, I am ruled more by emotion than facts. But I guess that's why there are so many different bikes to choose from. I am waiting to hear about a '17 Tiger 800 too, so I am keeping an open mind regarding displacement.

Gosh, this got long. Thanks for reading.
Michael

Why not test ride as many as you can to help you make a decision?  BMW allows Test Rides.  Redstone Harley has a demo Pan America.  Allsport has a used KLR650 you can test ride.  I believe Pandora's in Chattanooga still allows test rides on BMW, Ducati, and Triumph. 

Good luck with what you decide. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

LawnmowerRG

Quote from: TN_twowheeladdict on July 19, 2021, 04:25:33 PM
Why not test ride as many as you can to help you make a decision?  BMW allows Test Rides.  Redstone Harley has a demo Pan America.  Allsport has a used KLR650 you can test ride.  I believe Pandora's in Chattanooga still allows test rides on BMW, Ducati, and Triumph. 

Good luck with what you decide. 

Good idea.
I wouldn't come to the ham to ride though. Big #2 probably will not let you ride a BMW.
Then there is the Pan America. Heart of Dixie has one. I have been in twice to try to ride it. Once on my BMW. Looked it over for about 20 minutes. One salesman said about 2 sentences to me.
The second time I went in to pick up some Harley parts. I had them in my hand. I even keyed on the bike (didn't crank it) and not one person even turned around to acknowledge I was there. Harley may want to sell the Pan America, but the dealerships don't. Riders can't even tell me when they are getting one to look at.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Sweeper

There is a '12 Tiger 800 with bags and 6500 miles on Marketplace in HSV for $7000. I do not know the seller btw.

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on July 20, 2021, 07:03:00 AM
Good idea.
I wouldn't come to the ham to ride though. Big #2 probably will not let you ride a BMW.
Then there is the Pan America. Heart of Dixie has one. I have been in twice to try to ride it. Once on my BMW. Looked it over for about 20 minutes. One salesman said about 2 sentences to me.
The second time I went in to pick up some Harley parts. I had them in my hand. I even keyed on the bike (didn't crank it) and not one person even turned around to acknowledge I was there. Harley may want to sell the Pan America, but the dealerships don't. Riders can't even tell me when they are getting one to look at.

Did you ask to test ride it?  Why wait for an invitation?  I learned a long time ago to ask for what you want.  If you don't the answer is always no. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Madmanmike

Quote from: Sweeper on July 20, 2021, 03:45:08 PM
There is a '12 Tiger 800 with bags and 6500 miles on Marketplace in HSV for $7000. I do not know the seller btw.

Thanks for the heads up!

Saw it. Contacted. They are asking a little high, claiming it was so well taken care of. I made an offer, but they only just listed it, so it may be some time before they come off the price.