News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Extra fuel

Started by Al Goodwin, October 24, 2015, 11:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

KevinB

Nice find...Touratech sells that same container/bracket for $70.

IceCold4x4

If I'm going on a longer ride or where fuel might be scarce I've got an old camping fuel bottle or two that will fit under my seat.  Probably half a gallon or so.  Secure no leaks and doesn't add any. Ore theft worry.  Hell I might be able to fit 2 more if I ever get around to the lipo battery mod.

Ryanbroome

I've been thinking about this for a while myself. What I'm wanting is a small round bottle that's good for about a gallon. Maybe having two, one on each side.

Mulley

Liquid Containment makes very high quality fuel bladders. I've owned two of them. They are located in Australia but shipping is not an issue nor expensive.

http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/category/12/Motorbike

My current one is this 3.5 liter version.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Ryanbroome

Mulley

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 24, 2015, 08:02:55 PM
I have been thinking of something like this
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBOTT-Fuel-Bottle/dp/B002L1413S
I had the 1.5 liter. The problem is you have to carry a few of them to get enough fuel to matter and how do you carry them?

Also mine was the Primus brand, because "Jerry was a race car driver".

Al Goodwin

I've got 2 of the 1 liter bottles w/mount.

I bought 2 of the 1.5 liter bottles but have yet to find a dual-mount for the larger bottles...

Quote from: Mulley on October 25, 2015, 07:31:30 AM
Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 24, 2015, 08:02:55 PM
I have been thinking of something like this
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBOTT-Fuel-Bottle/dp/B002L1413S
I had the 1.5 liter. The problem is you have to carry a few of them to get enough fuel to matter and how do you carry them?

Also mine was the Primus brand, because "Jerry was a race car driver".

Mulley

Two liters won't get you very far. That's only 0.528 Gallons. My DRZ gets abysmal mileage now that it's a big bore. So that 2 liters only takes me about 20 miles at best. I haven't checked here but in Colorado I was averaging a pitiful 32mpg. I assume it would be a little better here as I was hammering it the entire time there.

But if you know you are getting low and start heading back that extra 20 miles or so might be the difference in walking or riding in Alabama.  Out west, you'll just have to walk less.

Ryanbroome

Yea, my thoughts were to carry a little extra to help you get to the nearest gas station

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 25, 2015, 11:52:24 AM
Yea, my thoughts were to carry a little extra to help you get to the nearest gas station

Ha...yeah, the Yamaha doesn't have quiet the range as your bike...especially 2-up and loaded heavy. ::)

SpeedyR

in ma tank...

seriously, I have the MSR bottles, for me it's nice because I can always use them for my stoves (XGK and Dragonfire or something (the replacement for the Whisperlite)). 1 liter is a lot when you have no fuel. I took one to Colorado when we were there for my 450. never needed it.

The best longer range options that's "modular" are the Rotopax gas containers. 1 and 2 gallons sizes and a lot of options on where/how to mount them. If there's a standard for gas carriers, I think Rotopax is about as close as it gets.

it was very funny at the hare scramble today, I seriously got about 50 questions about how big the tank is on my bike. I told most of them that it's 2 gallons smaller than the one I just took off. I had the black Safari tank that was 8 gallons, the new PowerCell tank is only 6 gallons. no idea how many MPG my bike gets, nor do I care, I won't be the one running out of gas. :)

Al Goodwin

I've got the 6.6gl. IMS on the KLR, but the Tenere is what I'm needing to have some extra fuel for.....I think I've got it figured out. ???

Quote from: SpeedyR on October 25, 2015, 09:54:57 PM
in ma tank...

seriously, I have the MSR bottles, for me it's nice because I can always use them for my stoves (XGK and Dragonfire or something (the replacement for the Whisperlite)). 1 liter is a lot when you have no fuel. I took one to Colorado when we were there for my 450. never needed it.

The best longer range options that's "modular" are the Rotopax gas containers. 1 and 2 gallons sizes and a lot of options on where/how to mount them. If there's a standard for gas carriers, I think Rotopax is about as close as it gets.

it was very funny at the hare scramble today, I seriously got about 50 questions about how big the tank is on my bike. I told most of them that it's 2 gallons smaller than the one I just took off. I had the black Safari tank that was 8 gallons, the new PowerCell tank is only 6 gallons. no idea how many MPG my bike gets, nor do I care, I won't be the one running out of gas. :)

Christeon

I run a slightly larger gas tank and carry a rotopak laying flat on my rear rack if I'm out west.  Utah is the only place I've been where I had to have more fuel and I strapped a 1 gallon bladder up front and dumped it in as soon as I had burned room for it in the tank.  The larger tank is wider but carries the fuel lower on my bike, you don't have to fill it up when you don't need it.