News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A lunch date detour

Started by Guidedawg, September 10, 2021, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I occasionally join RnineT, his brother, and one or two others in some Saturday morning rides.  However, due to a busy schedule I have been unable to join in recently.  RnineT had the excellent suggestion that we take off work on a weekday and have our wives, who prefer cages to passenger seats, meet us for lunch at Oskar's near Lake Martin. We planned the ride for a day our youngest daughters, who had attended school together, were both off work and it became a family outing.

While the ladies made arrangements to travel together, he and I decided to meet 4 hours before lunch and make a motorcycle not-so-direct ride to the restaurant via Mt. Cheaha.  It was in the low 60's when we met and I was grateful for the fleece jacket I threw on beneath my vest.  I met up with RnineT at a gas station in Wetumpka where we filled the tanks and headed north on Highway 9

Traffic was light and the weather was perfect as we rode through Elmore, Coosa, and Clay counties before stopping near the picturesque courthouse square for a rest break.  I grabbed a photo of a mural next to the gas station (posted in appropriate section of this website)

Soon after we turned onto Hwy 49 I was awestruck by the vista of the moutain (at least for Alabama) range.  The road became increasingly curvy as we made our way into Cleburne County and to Mt. Cheaha State Park.

The current photo theme tag on another motorcycle forum is for any kind of tower so RnineT pointed out the small "water tower" nearby, so I got a shot of that and an antenna for good measure.

We had a lunch date to make so we returned to 49 this time taking it south and down into Tallapoosa County where we took a break at Horsehoe Bend National Park and then soon arrived at Oskar's where we had an excellent meal with much more attractive company.

The ladies planned to stop at a thrift store, so he and I went on through Tallassee and then turned onto Rifle Range Road going into Elmore County where we parted ways with me returning to Montgomery.

This trip reminded me of how much motorcycle riding is a treat for all the senses:  The sights are more open and you feel more a part of everything. I have no radio or earbuds so all sounds are from the route or my bike.  I didn't realize RnineT was moving to pass a vehicle in front of us until I heard his engine and quickly joined in.  We encountered the scent of freshly mowed grass several times (often scattered across the roadway) as well as the occasional road kill.  Of course the feel of the road and the weather and wind are far more prevalent to a motorcyclist and the curves and tunnels of tree branches are much more enjoyable.  As for taste...well, besides the dust and enjoyable meals, whenever I can't ride for a bit and see my bike waiting for me..well, I want to go so bad I can taste it!

RnineT

A day out on the motorcycle is always better than a day at work- so we were blessed to be able to take a Friday off.  Definitely a wonderful day to ride and great enjoyment to fellowship at dinner with friends.  The picture of our lovely wives and half of our daughters remind me of the reasons we will probably never retire  :D.  We should note that our better halves did 'used to" ride with us- and that we of course miss that.  Glad we still have our health, motorcycles, and the money to put gas in them.  With the climate of the employment scene and the fact that our work ethic surpasses our pay-  our bosses will probably  continue to allow us to take a day off every now and again.  God is good!

klaviator

Sounds like Ya'll had a real good day!