News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Field in Madison to practice dirt bike basics

Started by Madmanmike, October 22, 2021, 04:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmanmike

Just wondered if there was a place in or near Madison where I could go to practice all those slow speed skills needed to really improve my overall riding enjoyment? 

You know, like balance, both stopped and moving really slow, tight turns, figure 8s, low speed front end lifts. All those skills no one likes to practice but everyone needs to improve their riding enjoyment. 

I would imagine there are a few parking lots and areas behind some businesses on weekends, etc., but I would prefer some grass or dirt because it's a bit softer on my old bones when I fall...

Thanks
Michael

klaviator

That's what Gymkhana is all about.  Ride on down to Leeds tomorrow and you will have a perfect place to practice as well as getting to meet many of the cool kids on the forum:  https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4336.0

Madmanmike

Yes. I saw that post. It led me to this post. 220 miles is a long way to travel to practice my balance.

Not interested in practicing, and dropping the bike, around a hundred other folks. Looking for a larger space, close to me, where I can go any time and just practice the boring stuff.

Chitza

Quote from: Madmanmike on October 22, 2021, 05:54:14 PM
Yes. I saw that post. It led me to this post. 220 miles is a long way to travel to practice my balance.

Not interested in practicing, and dropping the bike, around a hundred other folks. Looking for a larger space, close to me, where I can go any time and just practice the boring stuff.

Don't let it bother you. We have ALL dropped our bikes at Gymkhana. Even our course planner and experienced rider. #1 rule of Gymkhana is that no one laughs at you. They help you get your bike up and then help you get better.

WARNING: Gymkhana is addictive :D

Join us! No one will make fun of you if you just watch either, but we will encourage you to learn if you're ready. No pressure and LOADS of fun.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Gymkhana is a blast!  You really need to try it.  You will learn lot more there than you will practicing by yourself.  Johnny and I are meeting a 9 tomorrow to ride down.  You are welcome to join us:  https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4338.msg38110#msg38110

And there won't be a hundred people watching, maybe a dozen or so.

Al Goodwin

I've got a few, less than knee high, rocks at the house down here in Vinemont.  Plenty of space to practice.

Come to our "Nowhere to be Ride" this Friday-Sunday, and you can practice until you get to tired to ride home.  Then just put up the tent for Friday night and ride with us Saturday.