News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Why are forums a dying breed?

Started by Al Goodwin, June 25, 2022, 03:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Nice Goat

As the article pointed out, Photobucket did a lot of damage.  People put a lot of work into ride reports, tech reports, etc., and it turns out that those were easily destroyed.  The internet moved away from static links also.  Nothing is free any more, except Facebook, Snapchat, TikTok, etc.  YouTube is still free, if you can tolerate their incessant suggestions to upgrade to paid service.

Aside from that, people don't seem to do well in online communities.  Many people can't keep their politics to themselves or tone down their opinions --- in fact, they don't even think that they should have to do so.  The group suffers when individuals exhibit an excess of personality.

Then tack on all of the conflict, divisiveness, and other negative news going on in the real world, and it's too much.  Good people retreat into their homes to insulate themselves.

Personally, I have a teenage child who is now active in many school activities, which really has taken away from my riding time.  Also trying to pay off the house and prepare for a new career which will be more "riding friendly".  I've had a deposit in since Feb. 4th for a new Tenere 700, which may or may not ever get delivered.  I will get back to significant riding one day, but it will take some more time.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Some forums are still very active, this just isn't one of them.  Personally I think the forum format is far superior to social media platforms like Face Book.  Many clubs use facebook as their platform to organize on but when I talk to those people most of them claim to hate face book.  I am on facebook but for every post or picture that I post there i post a couple hundred on forums.  You can't post a ride report or carry on a meaningfull conversation on Face Book.  Good luck finding something that was posted after more than a week or so.

klaviator

This video also touches on the decline of forums.