News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Replace a micro switch on a Goldwing GL 1800

Started by Postmaster, November 10, 2015, 10:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postmaster

The super easy repair is specifically for a GL1800 Goldwing, but the micro switch might be used on other bikes.

Earlier this year when I was making a trip across the US to Idaho and bike my bike developed a problem.  Not a major problem by any stretch of the imagination, but rather a convenience problem.  My bike is a 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800.  The bike has 111,000 miles and has been problem free. 

Before the trip I checked all the normal items and repaired or replaced what needed to be.  During the trip I noticed that the cruise control would not set.  The problem was not regular, but progressively got worse.  I could not pin down if the problem came from one of the three micro cancel switches or the cruise set switch itself.

I finally discovered that the problem was with the switch on the clutch lever.  I noticed that when the cruise would not set, if I pushed the lever forward, I could then set the cruise.  During a stop I noticed, that when I pushed the clutch lever, I could not hear an audible click of the micro switch.  I finally found the problem.

I found the Honda micro switch and ordered it from Rocky Mountain ATV.  The switch was $17.00.

The replacement is as follows:

New switch

The switch is located underneath the handlebars.  You can see where the small button touches the clutch lever.  This is a very sensitive switch and the slightest inward movement of the lever disengages the cruise control.  When the lever is released, the switch releases and the cruise can then be set.

The switch is mounted with one screw.  Pull the rubber boot back from the electrical connectors, then remove the screw.

When you remove the mounting screw, the switch will be loose in your hand.  Simply unplug the two connectors.

I could have MAYBE repaired the old switch, but it might only last for a short time.  I noticed a definite difference between the old and new switch.  There is no way to tell how many times this small switch has been pressed and released over the years.

Plug in the new switch and mount the switch with the screw.

Easy stuff.

Shepcam

2013 Kawasaki Concours

Shepcam

2013 Kawasaki Concours