News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2016 MotoGP in Austin

Started by Chitza, December 04, 2015, 01:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

Seeing "Hitting the Apex" elevated the bar for me in my plans for the coming year. I want to attend a MotoGP race. The 2016 schedule brings the party to Austin, TX, this year. Indianapolis would be more convenient, but apperantly sales were lackluster last year(at only 150,000 geez).

Dates are April 8-10 with GA tickets running about $165. I haven't asked for the time off yet, but I'm assuming it would take a Wednesday through Monday to do this right.

Here is where we plan. Who wants to join?
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

IceCold4x4

Chitza

Never been. But MotoGP is there so that's the plan :)

Mulley

Don't let the low ticket numbers (tiny little 150K) put you off on going to Indy. It's a fun event. The racing is good. The facility is massive. They have part of a golf course inside the track. Yeah, it's that big.

Also, If you start at COTA (which I hear is amazing) you might feel let down if you go to Indy next. Start at at Indy and work up to COTA or Laguna Seca.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

IceCold4x4

Cota is expensive. A 4 day trip cost me and the wife about 2500 after tickets and hotels and food and gas. A chili dog and a beer was 20 bucks.  Hotel was almost 300 a night.  Just a heads up dunno if motogp will drive hotel prices the way f1 did but it's a wonderful facility. Get a parking pass for lot t and you can walk out to your car and get lunch from a cooler and a few beers.

DachshundUberAlles

There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Nice Goat

I will attend one day, but 2016 is going to be busy for me.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Round    Date    Grand Prix    Venue
1    20/03    Qatar*    Losail International Circuit
2    03/04    Argentina    Termas de Río Hondo
3    10/04    Americas    Circuit Of The Americas
4    24/04    Spain    Jerez de la Frontera **
5    08/05    France    Le Mans
6    22/05    Italy    Mugello
7    05/06    Catalunya    Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
8    26/06    Netherlands    TT Assen
9    17/07    Germany    Sachsenring
10    14/08    Austria    Red Bull Ring
11    21/08    Czech Republic    Brno **
12    04/09    Great Britain    Silverstone
13    11/09    San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini    Misano
14    25/09    Aragon    MotorLand Aragon
15    16/10    Japan    Twin Ring Motegi
16    23/10    Australia    Phillip Island
17    30/10    Malaysia    Sepang International Circuit
18    13/11    Valencia    Comunitat Valenciana - Ricardo Tormo

Only 1 race in North America, 4 in Spain, It's not fair!

Lynn and I were discussing attending the Austin Race coming home last night.

I have a couple races on my "bucket list", a moto GP and the Peoria TT. Let's talk about doing Austin.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

DachshundUberAlles

Spain has a rabid fanbase that sells out every event. Then there's the fact that Spanish petroleum company Repsol is one of the largest MotoGP sponsors and that Spain also has the largest and most prolific youth roadracing series, it's not hard to see why they are able to get multiple events. Dorna is all about return on their investment. Travel expenses are HUGE and the US does not generate enough interest. Look at all the motorcycle internet site forums. The "racing" sections are usually the least active, showing the lack of interest among people who are dedicated enough about motorcycles to seek out and participate on such sites.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Chitza

What do you guys have in mind? I will need to do this on a budget. My options are camping or a hotel further away from the mahem. Lowest price I found close to the venue was $139/night, 9miles away.

I'm all game for bringing my own food and drink. I checked in to Amtrak. 66hrs from B'ham to Austin with routes through DC and Chicago. WTF? And there's always riding :)

Or RV rental with bikes in tow.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Chitza on December 05, 2015, 08:29:46 AM
What do you guys have in mind? I will need to do this on a budget. My options are camping or a hotel further away from the mahem. Lowest price I found close to the venue was $139/night, 9miles away.

I'm all game for bringing my own food and drink. I checked in to Amtrak. 66hrs from B'ham to Austin with routes through DC and Chicago. WTF? And there's always riding :)

Or RV rental with bikes in tow.

It's only 11 1/2 hours by bike, thats doable in a day. . . . . 6 stops for fuel / break right about every 2 hours. would be a nice day of riding. figure 50 to 75 in gas to get there, not too bad, though camping would def help on being able to stay an extra day or two.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Al Goodwin

Did someone say "BUDGET" ;)???......Volunteer to work the race...corner working, etc...... I worked the Indy race a few years ago.  Get in free, free camping, they fed us breakfast lunch and dinner...Didn't get any pit time, but others did, I was new so I was out on the track working a corner. 

Mulley

If you go to COTA be sure to attend the flat track race as well.

http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=64170

AMA Pro Racing and Team SMI announced today that Circuit of the Americas will play host to AMA Pro Flat Track in 2016. The world's premier dirt track motorcycle racing series will make its inaugural visit to the purpose-built Grand Prix facility on April 9, 2016, running in conjunction with the Grand Prix of the Americas.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

TamiM

We went to COTA for MotoGP last year & it was AMAZING!  Taking more friends & more bikes this year.  We plan on heading down on Thursday & home on Monday.  The Holiday Inn, Austin Airport is close to the track, bike friendly, great staff and right around $300 a night (note that all hotels in the area are generally priced higher and non-refundable around the event dates).  Great people, great experience!  We did the Ducati Island Package (hubby rides the Duc) and the parking alone was worth the upgrade....not to mention the parade lap.
You can't go wrong @ COTA.