News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

XR50 pit bike carb help

Started by IceCold4x4, January 10, 2016, 07:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So i've fell into a honda XR50 that has a rather rediculous ammount of BBR stuff on it. Problem is i know next to nothing about what all has been done to this thing.

the jug is marked 49CM3 so that would make me think it's still a 50 as it still has the stock carb but when i pulled the jets it's got a 62 main jet in it which seems like a bit of a jump from stock which i belive is a 58 it has the BBR exhaust too so that might make sense but still appears to have the stock air box on it.

I did a quickie clean of the carb last night and got it to fire up first kick with the choke on however the idle is quite high, even off the choke the idle is high enough that it tried to flip me off when i put it in gear, (forgot it didn't have a clutch lol). when it's off choke adding any throttle seems to bog it down.

got the carb soaking in alcohol right now to see if that fixes it. any other suggestions?

btw this is what the bowls looked like

catang5oh

Soak the whole carb in pinesol over night, it works well.

IceCold4x4

after soaking in alcohol it's progressed to this.

any clue why it'd hang onto those rpms like that?

01YZF6

Throttle return spring at the carb? Throttle cable lubed?  Might even be a frayed cable in the sheath?

IceCold4x4

Throttle snaps back pretty well on its own.

norton73

Vacuum leak possibly between the head and carb.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

01YZF6

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on January 11, 2016, 07:53:40 AM
Throttle snaps back pretty well on its own.

Ohh OK...from the vid it looked like you were rolling it forward a bit to bring thebidle back down.  Mine did this even with good snap back, and I had a slightly frayed cable at the top.

Hope you find the culprit

IceCold4x4

I decided to just go get a new carb and air cleaner and get it jetted properly my fat butt needs all the help it can get.