News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Air shock Balancing Made Easy

Started by Chuck A., September 12, 2015, 08:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck A.

I ride the Kaw 1500 Nomad. Has rear air shocks. Has hard saddle bags. Problems is trying to add air to the shocks is a tight fit cause of the Schrader valve being sandwiched between the bags, seat, bag protector bar, and side cover. When the bike is on the side stand it is a PITA to adjust the air. Progressive once sold a balancing kit that would allow you to fill both shock from the right side,,, still having to do so with the Schrader valve sandwiched between all parts mentioned. Below is what I did to cure the problem on my bike. (This may have been done before, I just haven't seen it)

First thing was to find the Valve replacement parts to change the Schrader to a tubing connection. Sold by Progressive, Shipped was $31 dollars and change. Sayes it's for the Honda shocks but all Schrader's should be the same thread.

Schrader to be changed to tubing connection.

New connection added and tubing has been added. I should note that the left side shock was moved to the right side and right to left. This is to change the valve tubing connection from forward to the rear. Forward would have the sticking out in the open unprotected.

Next up was to locate the line T/new Schrader valve to a easily used location. The fender side railing has enough void to add this connection and easy enough to fill/check air.

"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Chuck A.

Picture is a little blurred but you can see the valve and the new left side shock tubing.

Close up of the saddle bag reinstalled with the line hidden under the rail.

Photo of looking down at the new valve location and the tubing connection. This really made filling and checking the air in BOTH shocks a breeze. Hind sight is 20 20 they say. Given the chance to do it over again the valve would have been on the right side of the bike, away from the lower side while on the stand.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

MadMax

Awesome idea!  Just watch out for gradual leaking.  I remember when I used to run air shocks on vehicles (also had the central adjustment point) I drove when I was younger that occasionally I would get a set that just would not stay aired up over a period of say a week or maybe more.  Generally speaking, I could return them and the replacement set would be fine.

Chuck A.

Shocks are standard equipment on this bike. So far, knock on wood, they haven't lost a pound of air.  :D