News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Frame modification advice

Started by bblass, February 23, 2016, 08:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

It's no longer frigid in my garage, both dirt bikes are running like a top and the tax return blessed me with a motorcycle parts stimulus package. In other words I am completely out of excuses. It's time to work on the project bike again!

I need a little advice on how to go about frame modification.

As you can see, I bought a new seat for the CB and need to chop the frame down some to fit. The end goal is a stripped barebones cafe look. I've always loved minimalist cafe bikes and am trying to build my own.

I'm planning to take the top cross member off and and weld it in as a secondary rear brace. Is this even necessary? My only concern is that without bracing the rear shocks could bend the frame and mess with the ride.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Fencejumper09

I like the idea of cutting out the frame support and replacing with something like below. Obviously that seat is not similar.

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

bblass

That looks real nice! I'm curious where they put the oil tank and electrics though?
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...