News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Chainguard is too small on my bike.  Chain lube gets flung everywhere.  Bought a mountain bike mudguard, chopped it up, and attached it with Dual Lock (industrial strength velcro)

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrobinson

During tear down of the Harley, I ripped the crankcase vent hose. I went to Rocket Harley and ordered a new one with clamps. I had the old hose in my hand and we found the exploded diagram. We decided on the correct hose in the pic and place the order. Last week I sent my son to pickup the hose so I could install it this past weekend. The hose I needed is about 8" long with a couple slight bends. The one I got was 4" long with a 90 deg bend. So back to harley I go and the right one will take a couple days to get here. Since I don't have a couple days, I bought a piece of regular 3/8 hose to get me by on the trip.

Pic without hose

Since I don't have a good setup to get the bike off the table, I decide to use a ramp to roll it off. Next problem, there isn't enough room for the bench, the ramp and garage floor for bike to fit. So I jack rear of bike and slide the ramp under the rear tire and let the bike down. As I roll the bike down the ramp, the jiffy stand return spring hangs on the ramp. While holding the bike up with one hand, I slide a board under the front tire to give more clearance. As I clear the ramp, it's apparent I still don't have enough room on  the floor for the front tire to clear the ramp. With the front tire a foot up the ramp and about 8" off the floor, I slide the jack under the bike and raise the front enough to slide the ramp out.

Bike back on the floor and I didn't die.

This morning I get up early to roll the bike out of the garage for a test ride to work. About 7 miles from the house everything is running good. I look down and the right side is covered with fresh oil. That's right, all the cleaning, wiping and polishing I did during the repairs is back like it was before this started.

The Harley fairy taps me on the shoulder and reminds me about the vent hose that is still in my truck that didn't get installed. I ride back home, spend 10 minutes installing the hose and wiping most of the oil off the exhaust pipe and engine.

I started working on the bike over 2 weeks ago and it has fought me the whole time. I'm sure if it's mad because it's in the garage or that I've tried to clean it up a little as I went.

It had better behave on this trip. I'll have the title with me and I won't have a problem trading it on another bike. The bike has been warned!

Nice Goat

I rode about 100 miles yesterday, mostly interstate, with no issues, so I guess that I am ready for the trip to Key West!

Fencejumper09

Resprung for my weight and sag set! Setting the sag is no fun when you have to remove the shock to set preload!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kdtrull

New lithium juice, brakes, chain, rear sprocket.  Chain was jumping teeth and spooking me last weekend.

New battery weighs just over a pound.

IceCold4x4

Carb pull and some adjustments made.

kdtrull

I first posted this on the day I installed the new gear. Just this same picture but along with some language that I (soon later) thought was inappropriate given that we just lost a brother rider to an accident.  I was unaware of the most unfortunate event at that time.  As soon as I realized there was some real stuff occurring, I removed the post and reflected for some time, read all the posts, and learned what a good fellow we are now without.  I did not know him....probably, I should have.  A lot of what we do here is just that....try to get to know like-minded folks and enjoy their company whenever we can.

We do the best we can to protect ourselves with textiles, leather, pads, braces, and plastic.  Some of these things perform as expected in some situations.  Some of these things have no chance of protecting us in some other more energetic situations.  Additionally, most of this stuff is not fun to look at and just makes us feel a little better/safer when wearing it and we therefore take not many pictures of that stuff.

But new gear on our machines is somehow different.  Many of us like to display our latest bike gear.  Sometimes, we add protection to our machines...and sometimes do so with poorly assigned priorities.  When does the machine qualify as a real priority???  That's entirely up to each of us individually.

Anyway, all I wanted to show you all is a couple protective items for the machine, which I will invariably fall off or jump off of at some time....but show it without all of the jubilant comments about being excited about crash gear at such a sad time.

And here it is....vastly subsequent to my very best wishes for a peaceful rest for our fallen mate...and comfort and relief for those closest to him.

SW-Motech side guards and some Trackside bar/lever/hand guards.

merc16

This was done a coupe of months ago on the Yamaha. I sent the forks to Forks by Matt and had cartridge inserts installed. With the Penske rear shock, it's a whole different bike. It's so much fun !

Sorry for the mess:

Justin

Nice Goat

Wanted to try a different windshield, so two weeks ago, I ordered a Madstad windshield with the adjustable bracket.  The Versys 1000 comes standard with an up/down adjustment, but not an angle adjustment.

Also, the standard shield mounts required these disgusting knobs on the front of the shield.  The Madstad moves the knobs to the back and permits adjustment without getting off the bike.  The forward offset of the Madstad is supposed to eliminate the vacuum behind the shield also.

The Madstad windshield appears to be very high quality.  It's thicker and optically clearer than the Puig.  Before even taking the first ride, I applied two coats of Rejex to the front and back of the shield.  You are supposed to let the Rejex cure for 24 hours before taking your first ride...

LRobinson

I have been running a MadStad on the Harley for about 18 months and it makes a HUGE difference.   I normally ride with it raised to about chin level.   If I am on a shorter ride and want more air I drop it about two inches.   If I get in a torrential rain storm, I raise it to its full height and slouch just a bit and can look through it.    It works for me. 

yamahamer

Cleaning carbon out of 2T header.

Nice Goat

Nice Goat

- Adjusted rear preload from "5" to "4"
- Adjusted rear dampening 1/2 turn out
- Adjusted hand controls to make them more level
- Installed DoubleTake mirrors
- Installed AlumiRack rear rack
- Installed Moose fender bags on the crash bars
- Removed choke cable and plastic choke nut
- Installed Snead Engineering brass choke
- Installed brass extended T-handle fuel/air mixture screw
- Installed JD jet kit (drilled slide, 160 main, blue needle with clip in 2nd notch from top)
- Removed snorkel and cut 1" x 4" hole in top of air box
- Installed Uni air filter with MSR filter skin
- Verified happy front wheel  :D

kdtrull

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 29, 2016, 09:35:17 PM
- Adjusted rear preload from "5" to "4"
- Adjusted rear dampening 1/2 turn out
- Adjusted hand controls to make them more level
- Installed DoubleTake mirrors
- Installed AlumiRack rear rack
- Installed Moose fender bags on the crash bars
- Removed choke cable and plastic choke nut
- Installed Snead Engineering brass choke
- Installed brass extended T-handle fuel/air mixture screw
- Installed JD jet kit (drilled slide, 160 main, blue needle with clip in 2nd notch from top)
- Removed snorkel and cut 1" x 4" hole in top of air box
- Installed Uni air filter with MSR filter skin
- Verified happy front wheel  :D

Wheelie beast-mode activated!!!  A happy front wheel is an air-friction-only front wheel.

Nice Goat

Quote from: kdtrull on June 29, 2016, 10:56:08 PM
  Wheelie beast-mode activated!!!  A happy front wheel is an air-friction-only front wheel.

It also has a really nice throaty sound now...
I'm guessing resonance in the airbox or something...

Mr. Greenjeans is getting bossy.   8)