News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

SPOT locator...

Started by Al Goodwin, April 20, 2016, 07:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

I've never had one, thinking about buying one for our big trip in July.

Just to be able to send a message to friends and family where cell service Mau be limited.

Tell me your experience....GO !!!!!

Mulley

I have a SPOT Messenger Gen 2. It's been great. The only downside is that you can only send a couple of messages that you programmed via the internet. The Gen 3 is out now and it has better reception, better battery life and is supposed to be more accurate for tracking.

When sending messages sometimes it takes longer than expected. A clear view of the sky is necessary to get your message out quickly. Otherwise it may take the device a few attempts. However, it will continue attempts. It's all automated. Just hit the button for the message you want to send and let it work.

I have a friend that has the SPOT Connect. It allows you to run an app on your phone so that you can send custom messages. It's pretty nice but the you have to pay more for the device and more to use the custom messages. It came in handy for us in Idaho a few years ago. We were able to send update messages to the other group when one of our guys was hurt. We also had a satellite phone. Which was awesome. We were able to call ahead and have an ambulance waiting when we got our guy to the pavement. He blew his knee out pretty bad and was unable to ride. He rode on the back of DR650 and abandoned his bike until the next morning.

Having said that, a satellite phone is pretty sweet. We rented 3 of them for that trip. We had 15 riders and a truck driver and did 1900 miles of offroad spread all over the state. It wasn't too terribly expensive in 2010 so I'm sure the price is even less now. It's something to consider. You can send text messages to and from them just like a cell phone. However it is a much slower process. It's almost as slow as courier pigeons if you don't have a good signal.

For the SPOT. They offer them for free with a rebate after activation a few times a year. Keep your eye out for that.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

SpeedyR

ditto on the Spot. I think they are doing them for free now (after rebate) you just pay the yearly service. if you ride solo a lot of in places without signal it can literally be a lifesaver. I split it with a buddy when we went to CO with Mulley and some others. makes it nice to friends to track you when on a longer ride.

if you ride with a group in out of the way places it's worth it to check into a sat phone for the convenience of actually being able to have two way communication. The spot is nice for just "HELP!" and one or two customizes messages to specific people ("we are ok, having fun", "we are going to be delayed but don't need help" and "we don't need medical help but need mechanical help" were the three messages I programed into my SPOT when we left for CO).

for those that have them, where do you mount yours? and how?

Mulley

When dualsporting I wear mine on the left shoulder strap of my backpack/CamelBak. That way it is within reach if I'm separated from the bike and down in a ravine with a broken femur.

SpeedyR

how do you attach it? I have seen there is a strap from the Kurt Casselli foundation to mount it on a shoulder strap but just curious to see how you mount it. When riding with a group I just put it on the top of my tank bag but solo I would prefer to have it mounted on myself.

Mulley

Quote from: SpeedyR on April 20, 2016, 05:13:06 PM
how do you attach it? I have seen there is a strap from the Kurt Casselli foundation to mount it on a shoulder strap but just curious to see how you mount it. When riding with a group I just put it on the top of my tank bag but solo I would prefer to have it mounted on myself.
I keep it in the stock black sleeve but I zip tie the unit to my strap. I don't trust the sleeve to keep it in. That thing isn't very well made.

Brian A

I do the exact same as Mulley. OEM black case zip tied to my backpack strap. You can see both of ours in this pic.

When on the street bike, and riding with a group, it gets mounted on the handlebars. I cobbled together a clamp mount around the handlebar to which I attached and use the OEM "hard case" and it works great.

On the Versys:

Brian A

And a great example of why I think it is money very well spent.
Always better to have and not need than to need and not have.
http://www.findmespot.com/4000/

Also, Allen, educate yourself on the additional coverages that you can buy, sold by third parties, that use your SPOT device and info to provide Search and Rescue operations and/or Medical Transfer back to home hospital.

Thing is, for me, the total $$ amount involved to buy a SPOT device, pay for the basic SPOT plan and also buy the annual GEOS Search and Rescue and Medical Evac coverage when needed, is pocket change when considering all the money I/we spend on motorcycles, tires, gear, insurance, modifications, vacations, etc. etc. etc.

It is a huge benefit of modern technology that provides peace of mind, tracking for family and friends and help if you get in a bad way and HAVE to have help. All this at a very reasonable price.

Side note: for me, a cell phone is a cell phone. They work when there is signal. They don't when there isn't signal.
Therefore, for me: It is always SPOT and a Garmin GPS.

YMMV.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-services/worldwide-search-and-rescue/

http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-services/worldwide-medical-evacuation/

Brian A

One more thing, in case you have never looked at anyone's SPOT tracker page, here is mine from the Key West ride.
But look soon, because it will purge in a few more days and the tracks will be gone until I use it again. (First leg of Day 1 has already been purged)

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0n6QOCNhaZhqlEbstzFEMZfdy2Np5lQST

Obviously it uses Google Maps so you can zoom in/out, switch to Sat view and go to street view.
The very bottom left, under the location updates, allows you to click to go back in time and see earlier day's tracks.

Brian A

one more thing... mine will run for 5 to 6  days (sometimes more?) on one set of batteries.

Mulley

Currently AMA members are getting a 50% rebate on SPOT devices. See website for details.

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Membership/SPOT.aspx

Al Goodwin

WOW....GREAT information...  I ordered a Gen 3.....

Al Goodwin

OK.....got it activated....and it works when I press the message. button.

Where is the "tracking" activation?  Or, how does that work?  I set it to send coordinates every 10 minutes, but I can't find it....

Dang, I feel old, all these new electronic devices. :-\

Al Goodwin

I think I got it......test ride tomorrow.

Al Goodwin

25 days on the road when we went to Alaska, still on the original batteries.........used it every day we were gone.

My friends and family absolutely loved being able to keep up with us.'

THANKS again for all the information and advice. 8)