News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

#$%@*&! stripped screws

Started by klaviator, April 23, 2016, 11:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I was trying to change the air filters on my scooter and stripped some of the phillips head (actually JIS) screws.  Whats the best way to get them out?

Nice Goat

Got these at Lowes.  If the screw isn't too far gone, they work well.  Make sure to get Grabit #1, #2, and #3.

Otherwise, you may have to use a Dremel.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

lk2rd

If the head it where you can get to them and clamp vise grips on, that works sometimes.  You might want to replace them with Allen screws.

klaviator

I tried the vice grips but couldn't get a good grip in the screw head.  One of them is set way back and hard to get at.  I will need to replace some of these screws.  The ones I don't replace will get some anti seize compound on them when I put them back in.  I can't believe how tightly these were torqued.  Or maybe they just got stuck because they have been on so long.

I think a trip to Lowes is coming up.

lk2rd

Another trick that works sometimes is to use a cutoff disc on a Dremel to cut a slot for a flat blade screwdriver.   Again, it depends on access.

A lot of the 70's bikes had real soft Phillips screws everywhere.  Impact screw drivers where mandatory.  You also needed bits that fit the screws perfectly.

klaviator

I went to Lowes and got the Grabit extractor.  The guy helping me there showed me the right size for the screw.  I was going to buy a whole kit but let him talk me into just one extractor.  That was a mistake because it just made a bigger hole in the screw head.  I need to go back and get a bigger one.  My next problem is that this extractor will not fit into any of my extension drill bit holders.  It needs a deeper socket so I will have to go see if they have something like that.

klaviator

I found some old craftsman extractor bits I bought a long time ago.  They don't work either.  I can't get them to bite on the screw head.  They just dig a bigger hole.

I did get one out using vise grips but there is no way to get vise grips on the remaining two.

wavyspike

You could jb weld a bolt or something that you can grab onto the head of your stripped screw and then see if you can get a hold of it. Sounds like your gonna have to replace it anyway.

Chuck A.

I have use side cutter pliers to remove screws. Put one point in the center stripped part and one side on the outside of the screw head. Sqeeze and turn the pliers.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

lk2rd

Post a photo of the bad screw and the situation you are facing.  Somebody here will surely have your solution.

klaviator

I will most likely drill the heads off the screws and remove the cover.  Then I should be able to get vise grips on what's left and remove them.

This is what I'm dealing with:

The stripped screws are top center and another behind the round access hole bottom center.

lk2rd

Yeah, that's a tough one.  Looks like your right about drilling the heads off, ect.  Maybe somebody will have another idea.

Brian A

Quote from: klaviator on April 23, 2016, 08:31:42 PM
I will most likely drill the heads off the screws and remove the cover.  Then I should be able to get vise grips on what's left and remove them.

My opinion: You just provided your own solution.

klaviator

Got the screws out.  Changed the filters which were filthy.  Put anti seize on the screws before putting them back in.  It was a PITA but should be much easier next time.

lk2rd

Glad you got it.  Did you drill the heads off?  Glad you shared - might help somebody.