News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Natchez Trace Parkway

Started by Guidedawg, April 27, 2016, 04:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

Have any of you ridden it in its entirety?  I was wondering how easily done it can be in two days if I hit some of the highlights for stops.

If so, suggestions on your favorite stops or places to overnight are greatly appreciated.

It's just something I'm kicking around, but the plan would be to go south to north, from Natchez to Nashville.

jrobinson

I've ridden on the north part 4-5 times, rode one night chasing a photo tag. It was a little eerie being the only one on there with no lights except my headlights.

I think it is 400+ miles and the speed limit is 50 mph, unless your name is Tony.  8) 

Chuck & Susan

Any info on Natchez Trace would be great for us too.  We plan on riding the Trace from south to north on our way to St. Louis in June. 

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

VWCarlos

I've never ridden it on a bike but did drive the entire trace in a 1966 VW bus. We camped somewhere along the way in one of the campsites. We went from north to south. Not a whole lot on the road like on the Blueridge Pkwy but still plenty of nice scenery.

Motorcycle related part of the story:
We ran out of gas because the gas gauge didn't work. (due to the 6volt to 12volt conversion) We started walking with a gas can. The only guy that stopped was a guy on a nice BMW tourer. He only had one helmet so I rode on the back to the closest gas station and back to the bus without a helmet. Two things I don't like to do on a motorcycle... No helmet and be the passenger. He was kicking 70 the whole time with me trying to hold a gas can off the side. When we got back the guy laughingly said he had only been riding for about 3 months... I was just glad he said that after we got back to the bus.

It's a gorgeous road and very relaxing. Just watch your gas gauge or mileage.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

TFancher

Quote from: jrobinson on April 27, 2016, 05:33:58 PM

I think it is 400+ miles and the speed limit is 50 mph, unless your name is Tony.  8)

I resemble that remark.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

scrappyjon

I've done most of it. Natchez up to the highway 64 intersection. Long sweeping curves I was having a hard time staying awake. It's a very relaxing ride as long as it's not 95 degrees outside. 2 days is plenty of time to do the whole thing one way. They are right about the gas. Make sure to find the stations before you go and have that planned out.

01YZF6

I have done 1/2 of it, and it was fun. Definitely plan for gas stops! Some areas (tupelo, Ms) you have to go 4-5 miles off the trace to get gas, then it is backtracking to get back on.
There are quite a few neat historical markers along the way too.

Guidedawg

I have printed mile markers with exits and distance to gas stations at each along with the historical stops.  Of course, I have no way of gauging how long I will hang around at each one so am choosing what I think would be "highlights" (also based on Trace-specific websites and reports I've seen from others)

Since my wife will be with me, I'll probably have to get a hotel each night for 2 nights (Figuring on about 6 hours to get to the southern end from Montgomery anyway) and crash with BIL in Meridianville when we reach Nashville.

Yankee Dog

I have done the entire 444 miles.  We took about 2 1/2 days but I think we stopped every two miles at a historical marker.  The speed limit is slow, but there is only a single stop sign the entire distance.  If you kept the stops to a minimum you could easily do it in two days. 

01YZF6

Message reserector, he lives in MS and could offer suggestions too!

polarissalesman

Quote from: jrobinson on April 27, 2016, 05:33:58 PM
I've ridden on the north part 4-5 times, rode one night chasing a photo tag. It was a little eerie being the only one on there with no lights except my headlights.

I think it is 400+ miles and the speed limit is 50 mph, unless your name is Tony.  8)   rofllmbo or Gleen or Johnny... :o :o ;D
"keep the rubber side down"