News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Route Around Chattanooga

Started by Chuck A., May 02, 2016, 07:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck A.

Going to Robbinsville NC next week to meet up with a riding buddy from Kentuck. Spend a few days hitting the best roads in the area. I don't mine slabbing it. Question is what is the best route from Hartselle to avoid Chattanooga? Last year they had ground the pavement in the curves which for quite fun with a loaded bike at 80 mph and an box truck on my azz.  I have been through Mentone and on over to Suches one time before. Is that the best route through Mentone and then on up to Blue Ridge and so forth? What is your favorite route?
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

I have gone around Chattanooga by going south of it (through mentone) as well as way north of it.  Either way it adds a lot of time to the trip and I normally just go through Chattanooga.  I haven't had any issues doing that as long as it wasn't rush hour.

Going through Mentone I'd work my way to 411 north to 64 then 30, 315 and 39 to Tellico Plains and the Skyway to R'ville.

Sagebrush

Thats a fairly boring ride either way. Going the Mentone route will take longer, I guess it depends on you. When I'm not in a hurry I stay on two lanes mostly, many times I'll add 100 miles to my route to take in some curves. I'm a sucker for the Wildflower Cafe, so I would be tempted for a stop with a wrap or tomato pie in mind.

SpeedyR

I don't remember the road names/numbers but you can do the southern route from Trenton to Lafayette and across on 136 if you want a change of pace. slower but not by too much and a much nicer ride.

we used to do a loop that would go west from Trenton and up and over the mountain and end up by the big lake west of chattanooga (301 to 73). 27 north to powell crossroads and then east towards chattanooga. these are some very good roads with little traffic. from there just take back roads over to 153 and then further east on the north side.

just another option to consider if you have time. I guess i'm a bit jaded as I commuted in downtown ATL for years on a bike, so not many places bother me much when it comes to traffic. lol.

Yankee Dog

I too hate riding through Chattanooga on the freeway.  Having had a couple of near death experiences there I now avoid it. 

Klaviator mentioned the southern route.  It is the best riding.   For a
Northern change of scenery head up 27 from Jasper until you reach 30 at Pikeville.  30 will take you across to 68 and into Tellico.  Stop at the Mayfield factory in Athens for ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WECSOG

I guess you've already done the trip. But I wanted to add my input because I often find myself needing to get through/around Chattanooga, and I have found a way to do it that a lot of folks overlook.
The thing is, Chattanooga is not the real problem; the I-24/75 section through the east part of town is. So what I do is exit I-24 at US27 North and follow 27 through town.
Another possibility if you want to avoid the interstate altogether is to get to 71 (on Sand Mountain) via 40 or 35 from Scottsboro or 117 from Stevenson, follow it to Trenton (becomes 136 at the GA state line) and turn north on US11. Follow 11 to Chattanooga where it runs into 41; turn right and follow 41 (becomes Broad Street) until you go under the Interstate, then take a right on any of the cross streets, just a quick hop over to Market Street. Market crosses the river and then you just jump onto Cherokee Blvd for a quick hop over to 27 North.
Either way has been no problem with traffic any of the times I have done it. Whichever way you go, you end up just north of the river on 27. Now stay on 27 northbound 50 miles until you reach Town Creek; take a right on 68 which will take you across Watts Bar Dam.

There's another way; one I've never tried but it looks like a good way. Start out the same: 27N or 11 to 41/Broad St. Don't cross the river. Instead turn right on 4th Street. You can do this directly from either 27N, Broad Street, or Market Street. Follow 4th until it runs into Riverfront Pkwy, which is Hwy 58. Becomes Amnicola Hwy; still 58. About 55 miles farther northeast, 58 intersects with 68 but then you are east of Watts Bar so you never have to cross the river (except back before you reached Chattanooga, of course). It looks like a pretty good route.
Either way, I much prefer the US27 corridor because I-75 traffic is insane. It doesn't matter how fast you ride, it's not fast enough to not get run over on 75.

Chuck A.

Thanks for the route info. I had to cancel my trip due to my daughters regional games and awards day at school where she got scholarship we did even know about. Be yes, I will be going to Robbinsville at a later date and do want to avoid Chattinoooooogy interstates.   
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

lazeebum

Take hwy. 64 all the way to I 24. The goal is to get to hwy. 30 east. It will take you to Athens TN. In Athens, take hwy 39 to Tellico Plains. Then ride the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

lazeebum

Get a road map and look at where 64 crosses I 24. That is fifty east. Or just ride to Jasper Tn and take 28 to Pikeville and get on 30 to Athens, and then 39 from Athens to Tellico Plains.

WECSOG

Quote from: lazeebum on May 22, 2016, 05:18:18 PM
Take hwy. 64 all the way to I 24. The goal is to get to hwy. 30 east. It will take you to Athens TN. In Athens, take hwy 39 to Tellico Plains. Then ride the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville.

That is a good route; I've been that way before.
BTW, there's a really neat little motel in Robbinsville that my wife and I stumbled upon once. Great place. Seems more like Grandma's spare bedroom than a motel, and cheap to boot. Called Phillips Motel.

Chuck A.

We have been using San Ran. Have to check out Phillips.

klaviator

I have stayed at both the San Ran as well as the Phillips Motel.  Both are old motels but clean.  The San Ran has bigger rooms but I think the Phillips costs less.  In both cases you can normally park your bike near your door. 

Chuck A.

Last year on our trip, the San Ran was full up every night with riders,,, and one Porsche with a Japanese looking guy driving and a white guy who thought of himself as Bruce Lee riding shotgun. We sat out side every night till 2 - 3 o'clock talking with every one. They have two outdoor chair per room. One of the guys with the car had a nunchaku. Every night he walked around shirtless, in his puffy pants, bare footed,swinging that thing hours on end like we should all be scared to point of wetting our selves. A few of us starting showing each other our pistols while the large group sat in the parking lot in the moon light. The Lee knockoff lost rhythm trying to look at us out the corner of his eyes and the chucks flew at the cars windshield, drivers side. Bad enough they could'nt see to drive! When we left town coming home, they were still waiting (2 days later) on someone to come and replace the glass so they could go home. :o ;D   

Oh, forgot the best part. When that happen, I could not resist. While the guy was freaking out,  I start the "Oh hoo hooo hoooo, Every body was kung fu fighting"....... Every body jumped in on the song. Dude was torn up. 8)

ka4pse

Now that there is some funny s#iT...I don't care who you are. (thanks Larry)
1985 Honda V65 (VF1100S) Sabre
1985 Yamaha XT350

I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. "This is the 21st century, old man," he said. "We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad." I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...