News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Exhaust Packing

Started by kdtrull, May 03, 2016, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on May 08, 2016, 12:19:25 PM
I don't imagine you will have much different results with what you have done. You should take the cap off the exit end. The inlet end should be sealed on. Hence the reason you can't get il off.
I have seen people use heavy grade steal wool to pack with also.think like a kitchen scrubber. I don't know where they got it, but it was from an industrial job site.

I think you're right.  I've only been out a few hours and the new pack is all but gone.  I do have a pack of those copper colored heavy scouring pads I may try next.

01YZF6

I would not use steel wool of any kind.  Even heavy coil industrial.

It can catch fire....

kdtrull

I'm about to just start looking for a stock muffler.   :'(
I've seen steel wool burn before...it's kinda pretty....wouldn't want it burning in my exhaust though.

kdtrull

Failure:

I give.  I don't want to drill the rivets.  Maybe I can sell or trade.

terryrussell1

Quote from: kdtrull on May 09, 2016, 05:15:50 PM
Failure:

I give.  I don't want to drill the rivets.  Maybe I can sell or trade.

Wrap as much fiberglass mat around the tube that will fit in the can and safety wire it down tight.  That's what I have done in the past and it has always lasted. 

Chuck A.

Baffles are to absorb sound. Packing goes around the outer side off the baffle.  Packing the middle of the tube blocks air flow. Engine is gonna heat up fast. Best of luck.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

kdtrull

Quote from: Chuck A. on May 10, 2016, 08:24:45 PM
Baffles are to absorb sound. Packing goes around the outer side off the baffle.  Packing the middle of the tube blocks air flow. Engine is gonna heat up fast. Best of luck.

I hear ya' man....I was just looking for a quick fix.  There was, at least, two axial inches of unobstructed flow path.  I don't want to drill the rivets in case I decide to sell it.  I'll just live with it for now.  There's not a lot of XT250 folks out there that want their brains scrambled by an almost full open exhaust.  It is, after all, a mammoth 249 cc's of expandable gas exploding out the pipe!   ;D

Chuck A.

Don't forget, I rode a lot of miles into North Georgia behind that bike. That's one tough machine! :o ;D
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

bblass

I repacked the FMF pipe on my TTR 250 which I think is pretty close to the one on my dad's XT250. I came at it from the engine side of the muffler instead of the end. I unhooked the core from everything connecting it to the tail of the pipe and then pulled it all apart from the rear. It was a pain in the rear to pull out but once I did I was able to wrap the core tightly in the packing and slowly work it down using light taps of a hammer and the sheer force of will of 2 200lb men. The process involved removing the exhaust pipe short of the header and may be more effort than you deem worth but it worked for me. Best of luck fixing you XT. That may be the world's most practical adventure bike!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kdtrull

Quote from: bblass on May 11, 2016, 09:57:59 AM
I repacked the FMF pipe on my TTR 250 which I think is pretty close to the one on my dad's XT250. I came at it from the engine side of the muffler instead of the end. I unhooked the core from everything connecting it to the tail of the pipe and then pulled it all apart from the rear. It was a pain in the rear to pull out but once I did I was able to wrap the core tightly in the packing and slowly work it down using light taps of a hammer and the sheer force of will of 2 200lb men. The process involved removing the exhaust pipe short of the header and may be more effort than you deem worth but it worked for me. Best of luck fixing you XT. That may be the world's most practical adventure bike!

That's good info.  I may try it again.  On the first attempt, last Summer, I took it off, removed all the hex screws from the inboard end, and pulled, pried, banged, and cussed until I gave out.  It never budged.  In the places where I pried enough to bend the outer casing, it looked like there was some kind of sealant in there....which I think is why it never broke loose.  I may have the weight of two men but, apparently, the strength of a fair maiden.  I do, however, have lots of trees, some rigging slings, and a cable wench!

bblass

There was a little sealant in there now that you mention it; and I want to say a black gasket. We hit it with the heat gun for a solid minute or two. Sorry, had blocked that evil out of my mind until you just mentioned it.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

LawnmowerRG

Looked up some videos on the FMF and it appears to be that you do pull the Q4 for the inlet side. I have never packed an FMF exhaust.
I have seen steel wool burn. Used it to start camp fires in fact. I dont think the stuff I saw the guy use would burn easily, but I don't ever remember seeing the guy again either. So he may have gone out in a ball of flames.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

kdtrull

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on May 15, 2016, 12:47:48 PM
Looked up some videos on the FMF and it appears to be that you do pull the Q4 for the inlet side. I have never packed an FMF exhaust.
I have seen steel wool burn. Used it to start camp fires in fact. I dont think the stuff I saw the guy use would burn easily, but I don't ever remember seeing the guy again either. So he may have gone out in a ball of flames.

Well, I wasn't going to mention it but....I used steel wool in my first '08 XT250 after I drilled out the stock baffle plate on the inboard end of the can more than I bargained for.  It never caught fire but I guess it could have???  It worked good but I suppose it is asking for trouble.

Here's the deal on XT mods in my experience....just for anyone who might stumble into this territory in the future....intake and exhaust mods, in my experience, have never made a hill of beans worth of difference on the XTs I've had.  They run how they run....and that's about it, AFAIK. 

Replacing the clutch plates and springs is the only thing I've ever done to one that had a significant positive impact.

Mulley

It shouldn't be that difficult. I must be missing something. I've repacked FMF cans many times with no issue. It's bolted together. You don't have to drill out any rivets. just unscrew it and after a few love taps it comes apart. If it's been neglected or if it's dented it may take some harder swings from a dead blow hammer.

Here is the full procedure for an FMF Powercore 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WituZdypNc
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

kdtrull

Quote from: Mulley on May 16, 2016, 02:56:08 PM
It shouldn't be that difficult. I must be missing something. I've repacked FMF cans many times with no issue. It's bolted together. You don't have to drill out any rivets. just unscrew it and after a few love taps it comes apart. If it's been neglected or if it's dented it may take some harder swings from a dead blow hammer.

Here is the full procedure for an FMF Powercore 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WituZdypNc

I'll try again when I have more time.and new pack of stuffin. Thanks for diy video.