News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

I just decided to go for a ride.

Started by klaviator, September 13, 2016, 07:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

No real plan except to ride as many curves as I can.  I packed up the Versys and headed out of town.

The Skyway has been repaved on the NC side but road crews were still out working on the shoulder.  In a few spots the leaves where changing but I didn't get any good pics of it.

I decided to swing by Deal's Gap then head for Iron Horse.  Noticed this kids tricycle hanging from the tree of shame. I hope the kid didn't crash here :o

I ran into an old riding buddy that I hadn't seen in around 11-12 years so I decided to camp at Deal's Gap.  The nice thing about camping is you don't need any reservations and can change plans at the last minute.

We went to the Tapoca Lodge for dinner.

Food was a bit pricey but very good.

Anyone remember when gas was 17 cents a gallon + one cent tax?

A view of the Tapoca Lodge from 129.

I ended up riding about 260 miles for the day.  My plan was to get up the next morning, run through the Gap a couple of times before the traffic got heavy then pack up and head out.

Brian A

Cool. I need a ride back in that area soon.

FWIW - for any folks who might find themselves in that area and looking for a good dinner, I can second Topoca Lodge.

If you want a killer good steak, as in REALLY good, go for the 8 ounce Filet w/ redskin potatoes.

klaviator

I got up early and took a pic of the campground.

Then it was time to ride through the Gap before traffic showed up.  Had a good run all the way down to the Lake. Only came up behind one car and it used the first pull off to let me by. The water in the lake is still real low.

Had another good run back up with little traffic.

Interesting V-Rod.

Then I ate breakfast and then did another ride through the gap with Gary and Jeff. I managed to stay with them until they got around some traffic and I got stuck behind it for a bit.

Some exotics at the overlook.

We had a good run back up to DGMR.  Then it was time for me to pack up.  A couple from Quebec were also getting ready to go.  They rode all the way down on their Bonnevilles.  They were headed back home via WV.

I was impressed that they fit their camping gear, cooking stuff, rain suits and clothes in the small amount of luggage they had on the bikes.

klaviator

By the time I was heading out around 11 the place was pretty crowded. It almost looked like a weekend. I was glad I was headed for some less crowded roads.

I took 28 to Franklin where I had lunch at Subway. Then it was some of my favorite twisty roads for a while.

The scenery wasn't bad either.

And I ended up here.

What a change from Deal's Gap. This is a much nicer campground also surrounded by great roads but there were no crowds here.

When I got to the Campground I decided to try to adjust my chain which I had noticed earlier was loose. I couldn't loosen the Axle nut and ended up bending the cheap axle wrench that came with the bike. I ended up going to Lowes and buying a 1/2 inch rachet. I had been meaning to get one anyway. I also got a 27mm socket. I was able to break the nut loose with that and adjust the chain. I was a little concerned since once chains start stretching the tend to go fast. The chain was also getting noisy.

Dinner was at this place at the intersection of 276 and 215.  Food was pretty good and very reasonably priced.

klaviator

I got up Wednesday morning and headed out for some of my favorite roads which I hadn't ridden in over a year.  As I was passing through Canton I saw this cool dude on a cool bike so I took his pic 8)

Next stop was in Ferguson to grab a bite to eat then stopped for this pic.

Then it was several miles of great curves and scenery on 209 before turning off on one of my favorites. 

This road starts out pretty crappy pavement, a lot like some Jackson County roads.

Then the pavement ends however this road isn't too rough for a street bike.

This place is out here all by itself in the middle of nowhere on the side of the mountain.

It was pretty steep downhill for a ways. This was the only part somewhat challenging for a street bike.

Then it was back on the pavement. The barn in the pic used to have a bunch of animal hides on it.

Then there were several miles of great curvy and scenic pavement. It's a great road but I can't remember ever seeing another bike on it other than those riding with me.

Then some nice hairpins to finish things off.

Any of you world travelers out there recognize where I just rode?

Guidedawg

This local only traveler does not, but it sure looks like a great ride!

lazeebum

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

kdtrull

You was all up in the western North Ca'linie mountains.
Canton is where the only other Trull folks I know live.  One of my best old USAF buddies lives in Asheville.

And ditto on what Randy said.

VWCarlos

The scenery up there sure is pretty. Looks like you had a great ride. Thanks for sharing.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

Nice pics as usual.

Canton has a great place to eat ... one of our favorites in NC ... Breaking Bread Cafe.  You should try it next time!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

It was closed when I went through there in April.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

Quote from: norton73 on September 16, 2016, 06:33:17 AM

Closed permanently?  That's a bummer.  They were nice folks.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 16, 2016, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: norton73 on September 16, 2016, 06:33:17 AM

Closed permanently?  That's a bummer.  They were nice folks.

I don't know if it permanent or not. I stopped about lunch time on a Saturday and there was a closed sign and no hours.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Thanks for the responses.  Time for me to get my butt in gear and finish this.

I headed towards some of my favorite roads that are virtually unknown except for locals. No T shirts, no photographers, very little traffic,no cute names to make them sound awesome. Just curves and more curves that rival the best of the T-shirt roads. On my way I saw a road that I had never ridden before. How was it? Lets just say it had a few curves

Best of all it connected to the area I was planning on riding.

Did I mention there were some curves here?

I did get some of that 20% of rain that was forecast. Although I got out of it pretty quick it wet down the road. Super twisty wet roads with leaves on them are just not my idea of fun so I didn't get to ride everything I planned on. I ended up going through Hot Springs and south on 209.

I stopped at a scenic spot and checked my chain. It had loosened up on those 120 miles I had ridden so I adjusted it again. Now I was worrying about how long my chain would hold up. I might have to cut my trip short. :(

One more pic for this day.

That's I-40 above.

I stopped at Waynesville Cycle on the off chance they had a chain and sprockets. They did have a chain but were too busy to install it. I decided to gamble on the chain I had. We'll see how it holds up. It's pretty noisy and at low speeds I feel some vibration probably from a tight spot. I'll probably head for Iron horse or DMGR tomorrow. Depending on how the chain does tomorrow will decide whether I go home Friday or Saturday. It's the OEM chain and has 14,300 miles on it. I should have replaced it before the trip but didn't notice any problems last time I rode it.