News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Brian and Mulley ride Baja

Started by Brian A, February 04, 2017, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

Well, let's get the ball rolling!

I know quite a few folks have kept up with the trip via facebook, and that is cool. But, as I am want to do, a proper ride report is in order. I will mention up front it might be a bit sporadic. I have some work travels over the next week or two which will prevent me from spending time working on the report when I am away for work.

First thing: It was a fantastic trip. I can't - and won't be able to - say enough good about the trip. The riding. The scenery. The guys we rode with.
The outstanding! level of service provide by Kirk, Jae and Blas w/ Captain-Baja Adventures. Everything was great. Awesomely great.

I did as I did with the Ecuador ride report: I did a video first. I was anxious to get something together to feed the beast.

The beast of living life.

Living it to the fullest extent one can and then reliving it again (and again) via pictures and video. Every picture and every video clip, no matter how many times viewed, seems to reveal another subtlety. A flashing moment in time. A memory captured by the magic ones and zeros that form the bits that form the bytes that form the pictures and videos.

The video should serve as a solid introduction into just a bit of the fun we had. More, much more, to come.

But for now, kick back, watch this in HD with the volume up. And do as I do: Grin from ear to ear.

Then, watch it again. And grin some more.

Feed the beast.

klaviator

I often don't have the patience to watch videos, I normally prefer ride reports with pictures.  This video is different.  When you posted it on FB I watched it 2 or 3 times and  I'll watch it again, it's that good.  I am looking forward to the rest of your report.

Brian A

Quote from: klaviator on February 05, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
I often don't have the patience to watch videos, I normally prefer ride reports with pictures.  This video is different.  When you posted it on FB I watched it 2 or 3 times and  I'll watch it again, it's that good.  I am looking forward to the rest of your report.

Thank you sir. I have watched it a number of times myself. It really does "feed the beast".  The memories of 5 days of life very, very well spent.

And it makes me look forward to the next trip.  Whatever that trip happens to be.

Brian A

It was a few weeks before Christmas when Mulley called me. "Hey man, you never responded to the message I sent you." I told him I had no idea what he was talking about. He explained that he had sent me a message about a motorcycle trip we had the opportunity to get in on. "Ok." I said. "Let me go back and review my messages and I'll give you a call back."

It didn't take long. I called Mulley back. "I'm in. This sounds great!"

Mulley and I have ridden together in Ecuador and Colorado and various more local venues and we always manage to have a good time. He is a great friend and riding buddy and based on experience, I knew a good time was going to be had.

It was a friend of Mulley's who was planning the trip with a few friends of his. There would wind up being 6 of us who would make the trip. Nobody in the group knew everybody before the trip. It was a case of everybody knew somebody and if the somebody they didn't know was a good friend of the somebody they did know, well, that was good enough for everybody.

Our destination was Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, to ride with Kirk Russell, owner and ride leader at Captain Baja Adventure Tours. It was a package deal. Five days. Show up with all your gear and get ready to ride. When riding, we would need carry nothing more than a hydration back pack and a few basic items.  A chase truck would carry all our luggage, etc. to the next destination.

This trip was to be about riding. Each of us on a very nicely prepped KTM 450. All the hassles were off the table. We were going to ride. And ride we would.

I picked Mulley up at 4:45 am on Jan. 25th and we were off to the Birmingham airport. A few hours later we had made the connection in Atlanta and were on Delta Flight 389, Airbus A320 service to SJD.

The flight time was a little over 4 hours so we had time to watch a movie, eat snacks and nap a little. Mulley never seems to have a problem sleeping. Anywhere. Anytime. Think of Sleeping Beauty. Without the "Beauty" part.

We were getting closer. We looked down to see the Sea of Cortez.

It was not much longer before we were " feet dry" then "wheels down" then rolling to a stop on the ramp at Cabo San Lucas airport. Two of the other guys we would ride with had been on the same flight, with one other arriving about the same time on a different flight. We all found each other, gathered our gear and soon enough were sitting outside the terminal, waiting on the last guy, who would show up in about 3 hours.

The bar outside was open air. We had chips and salsa and ceviche and sashimi. We were all surprised at how good the food was.

In no time at all we were all joking and laughing like we were all life-long friends. Whatever and however it happened, we all noticed and commented. It was clear: This was going to be a VERY good 5 days.

Our waiter was super friendly. Nice guy. We paid our ticket and tipped him well. To our surprise he soon delivered a beer for each of us. "On the house."
Yep! This is going to be a good trip.

I called him over and told him, again, "Thanks." and handed him another tip.
$5.00.  He was genuinely appreciative. I felt like I got more out of the deal than he did.

With our final riding buddy on the scene it was time to load up and head out. Our ride was provided by Captain Baja. Our "chauffeur" was Blas.

Blas.....  Chauffeur.  Cook.  Bike prepper and maintenance guy.   Gear loader and unloader.  Joker.  Laugher. 
Serious one minute and as light as a feather on the wind a minute later.

Blas.

Five minutes after we met him it was further confirmation. This is going to be a GREAT trip.

With all our luggage and gear stuffed into and strapped onto the Suburban we rolled out of the parking lot and were on our way.

Good times lay ahead!

Brian A

Cabo San Lucas, located at the southern tip of The Baja Peninsula has a population of 69,000 people. Archeological excavations show evidence of human habitation in the area for 10,000 years or more.

"Southern Baja" as it is often called, is really Baja California Sur. And to get more technical, it is officially known as the 'Free and Sovereign State of Baja California Sur'. The total population of Baja California Sur is about 715,000. It became an official Mexican state in 1974.

Much of the interior of the southern peninsula is made up of the Sierra la Laguna Mountain Range. The highest peak is Sierra de la Laguna Highpoint at 6,857 feet (2,090 meters). We would ride across this mountain range.

Blas is quite a character. Not the least bit bashful and is apparently taken to befriending the cliental quite quickly with a natural, easy-going disposition and great sense of humor.

We hit Mexico Federal Highway 1, headed for our destination for the evening: Los Barriles. Along the way Blas stopped at convenience store. We bought soft drinks, some beer and some snacks. The young guy behind the counter was friendly and smiled a lot. I am sure he was glad to have gringos come in and spend a bunch of money buying stuff. I guess it worked both ways because we were all happy to be there, spending our hard earned cash.

The ride from the airport to Los Barriles was about 45 minutes. It was uneventful and passed quickly as we all bantered back-and-forth and watched the scenery roll by.

We arrived at our destination for the evening, Hotel Los Pescadores ("fishermen"). Kirk and Jae greeted us upon arrival and Blas jumped into action unloading all our suitcases and gear.

Los Barriles ("barrels"). Hernan Cortez discovered southern Baja in 1535. Soon after, missionaries began to arrive. As the story goes those early travelers would stop at Los Barriles, which had a good supply of fresh water, to fill their ship's water barrels for travel. Hence the name, Los Barriles.

Blas delivered our gear to the hotel lobby and we all made our way to our rooms. The accommodations were nice.

Just off the lobby/pool area sat a line of KTM 450 motorcycles. I stood there and looked at them. I wondered which one would be mine.

We all got situated in our rooms about sunset.

It wasn't long before we headed out to dinner at a local restaurant.  We started with a bunch of sushi rolls and they were exceptional!

Dinner followed close on the heels of the sushi rolls and everyone appeared to have had their fill. We took the short drive back to our hotel where we sat around and talked for a while, then we all wandered off to our rooms.

Mulley and I shared a room. We crawled in our beds and settled in for a good night's sleep. We talked for a minute or two. I remember I asked Mulley a question. He answered. No more than 60 seconds later, he was snoring. 
Mully. He can sleep anytime. Anywhere.

I was not far behind him.

In 12 hours we would be riding motorcycles in Baja.

Brian A

I tend to be an early riser by nature and the fact that local time in Los Barriles was one hour behind Alabama time meant I was awake before the alarm went off.

Mulley was not.

I got up and showered and as I was drying off, I heard the alarm go off.

Mulley was now awake.

He showered and we walked down to the lobby area for some coffee.

Several others showed up and we enjoyed fresh juice and more coffee. And some small slices of chocolate cake sitting on a serving tray which had been made available to us. It wasn't much longer before the entire crew was present and we were served breakfast in the open air eating area, seen above in the picture I took of the bikes, the evening before.

With breakfast complete, we all got our riding gear on, dropped our gear off in the lobby area, and made our way to the dirt road in front of the hotel. The bikes had already been moved and were there waiting for us. Kirk asked us each a few question and based on our answers, and our riding weight, he assigned us each a bike.

My steed was to be numero tres.

Mulley spent a few minutes with some tie-wraps, securing his camera pouch to the handlebars. Such activities require extreme concentration.

Blas don't play. Well, actually Blas DOES play, but Blas also WORKS! While we were getting ready to ride, he was busy loading our gear and getting stuff ready to head out in the chase truck. He and Jae would be handling all the logistics and details while we focused on riding. Can't complain about that!

With everybody assembled and bikes assigned, we all threw a leg over our respective bikes, thumbed the starter buttons and the KTM 450s came to life. A few minutes later we rolled down the dirt road.

At this point in time, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Would we ride a long way on a dirt road to "get to where we would be riding"?  Well...... it didn't take long to find out.

We hit an asphalt road and went no more than a mile or so when Captain Baja took a right turn. We were now officially "Riding in Baja"! We turned onto (into?) a very wide arroyo. The sand was fairly deep in some areas but no so bad overall. There is not a lot of sand in the areas I ride in Alabama, so my sand riding experience is a bit limited. Riding in this sand was not difficult. It was fun. (Later experiences – riding in very deep, coarse sand - were to be less pleasant. In fact, I was to discover that I suck, terribly, hugely suck, at riding in deep coarse sand. More on that later)

The further up the arroyo we rode the narrower it got and then we ran into water and harder packed sand. This was even more fun!

The arroyo eventually narrowed down and ended at a small waterfall amongst a lot of big granite rocks. We paused here for a short break for a few pictures.

Dan. From Arizona.

The small waterfall and big granite rocks.

We turned around and headed back out of the narrow part of the arroyo. All having a great time playing in the sand and water. (a short clip of riding back out of the arroyo in the water is the water riding stuff in the video I shared in the initial post).

Once back out in the wider part of the arroyo, where the sand was a bit deeper and there was no water, Kirk lead us off to the right, to the edge of the arroyo where we took a trail that immediately began our ascent in what would be a ride across the mountain range.

This is a Google Map snip of the arroyo. The mark at the bottom is where we started. The mark at the top is where we stopped and turned around to head back out. Best I can tell, one of those trails visible on the left is where we turned off on our way back out.

The trail varied from fairly smooth dirt to rough rocky sections. All of it fun.

Mulley surveying the terrain.

We reached the higher points of our trail ride across the mountain range and stopped a few times for a snack and to take some pictures.

In this pic you can see Kirk rubbing his head. Mulley picked up a rock to see how far he could throw it off the side of the mountain. He hit Captain Baja square in the head. Captain Baja was pretty angry.

I kid! I kid! Mulley didn't hit him with a rock. I guess he just had an itch or something. Maybe rubbing the sweat off his brow. Whatever the case, no rock was involved and he wasn't angry at Mulley.

The area seen in the background is where we were headed. Down out of the mountains and across the big flat expanse that we could see in the distance.

In this pic, we are further along the trail closer to the coast seen way in the distance.

We rode on, making our way down out of the mountains and across the sandy flat land below. We eventually hit a highway and took a left, then about 2 miles later we took a right, back onto trails and more sand.

We made a good habit of pausing at turns to make sure nobody got left behind or missed a turn. Often times the dust dictated that a good bit of distance was necessary between riders. I waited at the turn off the highway onto the trail, thinking Dan and Will were behind me.

I waited.  And I waited.  I turned around and rode a mile or so back down the road. I never saw Dan and Will. I finally convinced myself I was crazy and that somehow they had gotten in front of me and I was in fact, the tail gunner.

I was wrong.

I made it back to the right turn off the highway and took off down the trail. A mile or so later I found Jason and Mulley waiting for me at the next turn. It was then that I found out I was NOT crazy and in fact, Dan and Will were somewhere "back there". We all turned around and headed back (knowing Kirk and Bryan would soon realize we were not behind them and would turn around to back track).

When we got to the road, we decided Jason and Mulley would sit there and wait, while I reverse rode our track until I got to the last place I knew I had seen Dan and Will.

Turns out I had stopped and turned around about a ½ mile too soon on my initial ride back down the highway. This time I rode far enough to find Dan and Will sitting on the side of the highway.

Dan's engine had seized. Locked up. Solid. No warning. Nothing but a solid lock-up as he was riding down the highway.  A nice skid mark bore witness to the event. Good thing he didn't crash. Will had already made contact with Kirk via cell phone and they were on their way back to join up with all of us on the side of the highway.

This would be the first instance where we got to see the value of dealing with people (Kirk, Jae and Blas) who REALLY have their act together.

Before you could say "Dan's engine seized and we are sitting on the side of the highway" Kirk had been on the phone. Help was on its way and we would not have to wait very long.

Fencejumper09

The "Brian and Mulley do ????????" is probably my favorite series of ride reports in the whole internet!

Thanks for taking us along!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Brian A

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on February 07, 2017, 08:18:01 AM
The "Brian and Mulley do ????????" is probably my favorite series of ride reports in the whole internet!

Thanks for taking us along!

Thank you. That is high praise!  It's a labor of love.

I enjoy riding with Mulley (and my other riding friends for that matter). I also enjoy sharing the experience, as best I can via Ride Reports, and knowing others enjoy reading along is icing on the cake.

More cake will be served soon.

Brian A

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. Or so the saying goes. Life had given us a lemon when Dan's engine seized, but, much to our benefit, we didn't have near enough time to make any lemonade.

Not sure how things worked out so fortuitous, but they did. It was as if it had all been by design but of course it hadn't been because nobody could have known when and where the bike would die. I guess all the signs that had lead us all to believe this was going to be  great trip were proving accurate.

Within a few minutes the Orange Tundra with trailer in tow arrived on the scene. Jae and Blas climbed out and we all joked and laughed while Blas unloaded one of the back-up bikes off the trailer to exchange for Dan's broken bike. In short order we were back on the road. All was right in the world.

I don't remember if it was just before Dan's bike failed or soon after, but in either case, this happened: We were back riding in a really, really big arroyo. We rode along a rock wall on the right hand side. The sand was pretty loose so good speed was needed to skim along the top. I loved this part. With Kirk in the lead, I was next in line off his left rear quarter. We buzzed along at a fast pace and soon came to a big cave in the rock wall. We all rode in and took break there for a few minutes and were then back to riding down the arroyo.

Stupid Selfie. I am not a fan of "selfies" but I took two. Here is one of them. The other is of the same but it is blurry so I really only have one.

So with Dan on a good bike and us back to riding, we rode a short while longer and made our way to a highway. We jumped on the highway and rode a short distance and then stopped for lunch at some small restaurant/hotel place. We parked the bikes in front. The view was nice.

I was pretty hungry. I ordered a chicken hamburger. It was really a grilled chicken breast with bacon and pineapple and fixings. It was good. I also ordered a shrimp taco. What I didn't realize was I had ordered a shrimp taco MEAL. We all got a laugh when the two meals were sat in front of me. I was hungry but not that hungry. I ate one of the tacos and shared the others with Dan.

My belly was full. I could have enjoyed a siesta but it was time to get back to riding. The ride after lunch was nice. Back up into the mountains.

It was dusty. Bad dusty at times. 
Dan.
Dusty Dan.

The remainder of the afternoon would be more of the same. Some good riding in the mountains and more riding in the sand.

As the afternoon wore on we made our way back east to Cabo Pulmo. Cabo Pulmo is on a jut of land that makes it the most eastern point in Baja Mexico. For reference, Cabo Pulmo is pretty much at the same latitude as Havana, Cuba.

Our accommodations were nice. We had 3 open floor plan, cabana style buildings. Me and Mulley and Will got one. Jason and Bryan and Dan got one and Kirk, Jae and Blas got the third.

Before dinner I walked down to the beach with Jason and Bryan. First time I had ever been on the beach for the Sea of Cortez. It was very nice. Pretty place.

I took some pics.

Back at our crib for the evening, Blas had the grill fired up. We would be treated to some big fat shrimp, wrapped in bacon and a nice steak each to go along with it.
Great food.
Great folks.
Great times.

The night air was cool. Much cooler than I had expected it to be. I sat around and talked for a few minutes but soon felt the call of the bed. I had a nice hot shower and climbed into bed. Will and Mulley were not far behind me.

I lay there and thought back on my first day riding in Baja. It had been such a good day. Despite Dan's bike problems we had managed to have a great day.
Also, there had been two flat tires for Will. I did not mention those earlier because, well, it was just two flat tires. Kirk did the bulk of the work but a helping hand was provide when and where needed, replacement tubes were in (both times the rear) and we had been back to riding in short order.

As I lay there thinking, Mulley began to snore. I put my ear plugs in and rolled onto my side.  Nice and warm under the covers.

I was asleep in no time at all.

VWCarlos

Great ride report. I am really enjoying the ride so far.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Brian A

Thanks. I'm enjoying the re-ride!  :D

I put together a bunch of short clips from Day 1. The video has no music or commentary. Just a bunch of short clips to show the variety of conditions.
I tried to keep the clips short so it wouldn't get boring.

If you find yourself interested:

ka4pse

That last clip. Picking your way through the cow pie minefield. "That there is funny, I don't care who you are."

Much like FJ09, the "Brian & Mully Ride..." are my favorite ride reports always. You, sir, are an excellent storyteller! I always feel as close as one could to being there with you guys. I'm always awaiting the next installment of pure motorcycle entertainment. Just the right amount of prose, pics and video. Especially liked the video montage of all the different riding. Would be interested to see a pic or video of all the bikes lined up in the cave when all arrived there, if that exists. Watching that video I think I would be beat to death trying to ride like that LOL.

Always when these report come to a close I feel like I just finished the trip. Always then have to go back and read, look and watch it all again. Thanks for the work you put in these reports. I know its time consuming but probably fun reliving it all again.

Thanks Brian!

Stewart
Slapout, Ala.

1985 Honda V65 (VF1100S) Sabre
1985 Yamaha XT350

I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. "This is the 21st century, old man," he said. "We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad." I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...

klaviator

It looks like Baja has some awesome riding.  Riding Baja has never been on my bucket list but I may just have to put it there.  Makes me want to get a more dirtworthy bike as well. 

Brian A

Once again, I woke early. Not like 4:00 am early, but earlier than Mulley and Will. I lay there in bed for a few minutes to appreciate the comfort.

A stiff wind had been blowing when we went to bed. It had continued throughout the night and was still carrying on when I woke.

The roofs of the buildings were made of tightly folded and woven palm fronds. I don't know if there was any other more substantial building (decking) material hidden somewhere in the palm fronds or if they provided substantial protection from the elements all by themselves. In any event, palm fronds were what you saw on the inside and the outside. The exterior was covered by some sort of netting material.

The wind made quite a racket as it cut across the rough exterior surface of the roof. It made it sound like the wind was much worse than it really was. I lay there and wondered what it might be like in that same room during a hurricane.

In September of 2014 Hurricane Odile made landfall at the southern tip of Baja as a large Category 3 hurricane, with 127 mph winds. It is tied with Hurricane Olivia (1967) as the strongest hurricane to strike the southern Baja area since records have been kept. Odile tracked nearly straight up the Baja Peninsula before crossing the very northern part of the Sea of Cortez, then moving inland and later dissipating.
We saw just a few remnants of Hurricane Odile. Nothing significant really. A few seawalls along the beach that were broken and askew and a few structures that had been damaged and never full repaired. I imagine it would have been pretty intense to have been sitting in that room when Hurricane Odile came to visit.

With the sun creeping up, it wasn't too long before everyone was up and going. We had coffee and breakfast and made ready for the day ahead.

I got Blas to take a picture of me with Kirk and Jae. They are good people.

I got Jae to take a picture of me and Blas.  Look at the pic. That pretty much sums up Blas.  Cool dude that Blas!

Once again, the bikes were lined up out front waiting on us.

We all had our suitcases packed and set in place for Blas to load into the truck after we were on our way. We then donned helmets and gloves and fired up the KTMs. We took a short ride to a little marina area about ¼ mile from the house to get a view of the beach and ocean then hit a dirt road for a short ride to......

THE BEACH!!

We rolled though the deep sand that was furthest from the water and then found our selves in firmer sand and everyone saw fit to twist the throttle! Holy cow was it fun!

The only time I have ever ridden on the beach was on Daytona Beach, last March. I was on the Versys 650 at the time with 4 other friends on a mix of bikes. You had to go slow and getting rowdy was a no-no.

On the beach in Baja, on the morning of January 27th, 2017, there were no rules telling you to go slow and don't get rowdy. We had a blast!

Mulley having fun on the beach.

Random beach picture.

I like this pic. That is Dan.

Mulley striking a pose.

We rode on the beach for a while then turned off to pick up a dirt road. The riding today would be similar to yesterday, with more longer dirt and sand roads. I never made any attempt to try to keep up with where we were. I knew in general: southern Baja. And that was good enough for me.

I lied earlier. Well, I didn't actually lie. I just mis-remembered.

It wasn't Day 1 when Will had two rear tire flats. It was day 2. And now that I have made mention of it, I will share a few pics of it.

Flat #1. Captain Baja at work

Flat #1. Will watches while holding the bike down so it doesn't float away. Jason frowns.

With a new tube in place, we were back to riding.  For a short while.  Will had another rear flat.

I didn't take pictures of the work on this flat. It was a "Lather. Rinse. Repeat." kind of thing.  I did take a picture of the cows in the distance (with incidental capture of flat tire repair work).
Apparently they heard us and came over the top of the hill to see what the commotion was all about. They never came closer which suited me just fine. They stared a stare of what looked to be a "What are you doing here?" attitude.
Not the "Hey! Welcome! Let me walk over there and you can scratch my head." stare.
So yeah. It suited me just fine that they stayed way over there on that hill.

There was one of those little shrine things pretty close to where we stopped. I took a picture of it.

Before leaving Birmingham I had looked at a lot of picture and videos on the Captain Baja website and on youtube. I had seen the big cactus in those pics and videos. I had joked that I sure did hope I didn't have a bad experience with one of those giant Roadrunner Cactus plants. My buddy Kevin had joked back: "Anvils. Keep a watch out for the anvils."

The Cardón Cactus is the largest cactus in the world. Some have been measured at nearly 70 feet (21 meters) tall and they can weigh up to 25 tons. That's 50,000 pounds of "Cactus Death on One Leg"!
I don't think any of us had any encounters with a Roadrunner Cactus but several of us, including yours truly, had several encounters with their much smaller relatives. (more on that later).

A Cardón Cactus. This one is neither 70 feet tall nor 25 tons. But it was close to me and made for a good picture.

With another new tube installed we were back to riding. Again.
Will would have no more flats.

Our destination for the evening was Todo Santos. We would all arrive safe and sound.

But my steed, "Numero Tres" would not do so under its own power.

The tow strap would come out. Stay tuned....

Brian A

Day two riding was – overall – not as much technical stuff as Day 1 had been. A good bit more in the way of more open, faster dirt and sand roads. We made our way across the interior mountains from east-to-west.

We stopped a few times for some pictures.

Me

Jason and Bryan

Dan, Will, Bryan and Jason.

The afternoon wore on and we all seemed to be having a good time. I know I was! The dirt and sand roads were fun to play on. The KTM 450 more that up to the task of breaking the rear tire loose at speed for some fun letting the rear end hang out a bit in the turns.

And there I was..... riding along..... having fun...... when.....

POOF!!  Numero Tres let out the slightest bit of a huff and the process of intake-compression-ignition-power-exhaust came to a dead halt. The engine did not seize, it just shut off. Like would be the case if the kill switch was pressed, or maybe bad?

I knew it was to no avail but I spun the motor over a few times. No joy. I wiggled and tapped on the kill switch button but it made no difference.
Numero Tres was not going any further under its own power until whatever ghost that was in the machine was identified and dealt with.

I think it was Will who took off to catch up to the guys in front to let them know. I took a few pictures while we waited.

In just a few minutes they were back on the scene. I told Kirk I thought it was an electrical problem. The way it happened did not point to a mechanical failure.

He went to work and soon had the problem identified: The electric fuel pump was bad.
Kaput. Dead. It had pumped its last pump and Numero Tres and I were now victims of its untimely demise.

Kirk got the tow strap out, hooked it to his bike and then to my handlebars. He tied it to my handlebar. Solid. In a knot. The were no provisions for a break-away in the event I developed a wobble factor that exceeded my balance skills.

I took this as a great vote of confidence. Kirk had, in essence, tied his destiny to mine. At least for the next little while. I was determined to not disappoint.

And off we went. Over the river and through the woods. Well, not really. There was no river and the woods was really just a bunch of cactus plants. But off we went just the same.

'Nary a moment of trouble. We rode miles on the sand and dirt, up and down (nothing extreme) and across whatever ruts and stuff we came to. Judicious application of the brakes on my bike kept the rope tight in all but a few instances and even then it was not enough slack to throw us off our game. We never had to stop or readjust.

You can't push a motorcycle with a strap, but you sure can pull one.

We eventually hit a major highway and took a right, headed into Todo Santos. Cool thing about Mexico, seems you can ride or drive whatever you want and so long as you aren't causing trouble, nobody seems to care one bit.

We motored on. Correction: Kirk motored on. I got towed along.

Wasn't much longer when we rolled into our accommodations for the evening.

The place was really only marginally acceptable.

Dan approves.

I guess we can make do with this....

Cool looking birds.

And some really pretty flowers.

Mulley and I got in the pool. The water was pretty darned cool but after a few minutes it didn't feel so bad.

Blas had everyone's suitcases unloaded and waiting for us. We all found our way to our rooms and showered then put on casual clothes. We would be heading out soon for a supremely fine dinner.

The sun began to set on a great day.

More great times ahead.
3 more days.

fishing.
riding.
cactus.
and...... eventually.... the angry pinkie.