News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Kazuma Viper goes to The Ridge off road park.

Started by IceCold4x4, February 11, 2017, 05:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

Well this started as a bit of a joke but turned out to be a fun day. So in a group text bblass and fencejumper asked if anyone wanted to join them and a buddy at the ridge for some trail riding this Saturday morning, I jokingly said I'd bring the Kazuma to play. Then David said I should just toss it on the roof of the Volvo XC90, that in itself sounded like a fun idea so why not. And hell my street bike has been down for an overhaul for a month now and I needed my 2 wheel fix. Then I find out I'm supposed to work Saturday and got pissed then found out Friday I didn't have to leave until 1 pm so that left just enough time to figure out that the battery has died again, it's been a month since I rode it in the snow what the hell. So oh well the kick start works and I go to try and put it on top of the SUV at about midnight Friday night. I'm a pretty strong guy but that thing is 100 lbs or so and the roof wasn't as solid as I would have liked. So scrambling to find a solution I came up with this.

So now it's about 9 am and I'm waiting on Ben and David and Drew to arrive, so I decide to go warm up the Kazuma and test out the pee wee MX track.

Well that went better than expected checked out the tires and frame once I got back and whadda know? Nothing was amiss no damage at all. Cool this might not go as bad as I was kinda expecting.

So since this looks like it might actually work I go explore a bit while waiting in them. Ride around for 20 minutes or so and find a nice little view.

*insert photo here once video uploads to YouTube so I can swap SD cards in the phone.

So then the 3 muskateers arrive and we set off. Quickly I am realizing this isn't going to be a leisure stroll.

So first hill climb complete and the Kazuma is proving itself to be at least competent on a trail. Not a bad thing considering I weigh about 260 lbs.

We ride for another hour or so and then get to a rather deep and long water crossing I somehow had become so confident in the Kazuma that I decided to kinda jump right into the middle of the stream, unfortunately I didn't have to go pro running I hope David got a shot of it as every outcome I was picturing in my head was much much worse than what actually happened. Well with very little run up room I just put it in first wacked the throttle and yanked up and the bike and we dropped about 2 feet down right into the middle of the stream and drive right out the other side like I actually knew what I was doing...

Shortly after that our friend on Bens ttr 225 find that the front axle nut had come off and the axle was trying to exit the building.  So since we couldn't find the nut a few zip ties later and we limp it back to the trailer. And of course it's when I'm happy the Kazuma didn't let me down that I stuffed it and had a spill right before we get back to the trailer.

So all in all the Kazuma out lasted a Yamaha ttr 225 and kept up decently with the bike that has had more head jobs than Charlie sheen... Just gotta poke ya a bit on that one Ben.

And as always any day on 2 wheels is better than just about anything else. Even if it's on a used and abused Chinese kids toy.

klaviator

Looks like a lot of fun.  Tiny bikes can be a blast.  I used to love riding my wife's TTR125 even though it was way too small for me.

IceCold4x4

IceCold4x4

Quote from: klaviator on February 11, 2017, 07:29:35 PM
Looks like a lot of fun.  Tiny bikes can be a blast.  I used to love riding my wife's TTR125 even though it was way too small for me.
It's just making me want to get a kdx sooner...  I need more power for the large amount of awesomeness I carry...

Chitza

Awesome!

You twisted that pricey aftermarket fender 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Chitza on February 12, 2017, 10:26:24 AM
Awesome!

You twisted that pricey aftermarket fender 8)
Lol as big as that Fender is it doesn't do crap for keeping the water and mud off of you as you can see in David's video here

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kcoleman7

IceCold4x4

Quote from: kcoleman7 on February 12, 2017, 03:59:09 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed your creek jump!
Considering I never expected to make that I did too... I fully expected to have to pull the bike out of the creek and drain the carb and engine of water.

JBMFT

Awesome, glad the little beast is finally getting some use!

Fencejumper09

Fantastic! I was going to write up a ride report but I think your perspective is much better!

Things I learned:

-Kazuma makes a hell of a frame!
-If you try to show off on a hill climb, you end up in the bush!
-Torque your axle nuts and check regularly!
-Fox would make a great circus bear on a bicycle!

Great ride and hopefully you will have a full size bike soon!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

IceCold4x4

Things I learned

don't follow Ben too closely he might stall  on the hill and make your life much harder.

With a small underpowered bike speed is you best friend and greatest enemy.  Speed helps make it up however it punishes your body.

The fact that a 260 lbs man can ride a kazuma and get 2 to 3 feet I'd air under it and not cause any harm to the machine is a testament to the little Chinese kids that assembled the viper 110.

I want to see the Kazuma in action with a smaller rider that knows what they are doing.

And its time to replace the steering head bearings if anyone wants to help.

Brian A

Looks like a fun time!

A couple of years ago I had a 125cc small frame dirtbike I bought online from Orion. About the same size as your Kazuma.

It was a blast. Way more capable (and durable) than I had ever expected. I had some fun days on that thing.

bblass

That little Kazuma is a quality machine!

The fact that you didn't wind up with a shock up your rear end after jumping into the creek is a testament to just how far Chinese manufacturing has come
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

lazeebum

Thanks for sharing. I can't stop grinning. That looked like fun.