News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Many Reasons to Ride

Started by gharshman, February 25, 2017, 02:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

As if it weren't hard enough to muster the energy for work on Fridays, the Creator laid a golden egg in our collective laps yesterday.  Can't remember the last time we had temps in the high 70s with a mostly clear sky in the last week of February.  I took the day off from work to complete a school assignment, and by some miracle, I completed my assignment before noon.  I opened the garage door and stepped outside to relieve some cabin pressure.  I failed to conceal my joy at seeing sunshine and blue skies.  Within 15 minutes, I had showered and pushed the KLR out of the garage.

Reason #1: Outstanding and unusual weather.

Lately I have been obsessed with long-distance trip planning, especially to Alaska and Mexico.  I have several people to thank for that, but this is the only way that I can express myself at this moment:

A few months ago, I ordered two 30-oz. MSR fuel cans and the Wolfman bottle holders.  I used nylon rivets and nylon padeyes (kayaking goodies) to mount the can holders on my luggage rack next to the Pelican case.  I've been carrying around 60-oz. of extra fuel wondering what that was worth.  Well, today I found out.

Reason #2: Determine maximum range on the KLR.

Also, I needed to check out Paul Grist State Park to make sure that it is suitable for the upcoming RFP12 camp-and-ride on March 24th.  The park was found to be in good condition with amiable management.  Yay!

Reason #3: Event planning.

Also, I have been losing weight, albeit slowly, and I wanted to get away from the kitchen.  I had 14 ounces of coffee for breakfast, and nothing for lunch, so by 5:00pm, I was feeling the stomach pangs.  I had just left the state park and decided to ride a little further south toward Selma.  Within a few miles, I found what I was looking for, a highly recommended pork palace.

Reason #4: Try some new barbecue.

Lastly, I wanted to try some new roads and see some new stuff.  I told Google where I wanted to go, and I let her determine the best route.  My only limitation was no highways.  The Great Navigator presented me with three options, and I chose the one that looked unfamiliar.  Ended up riding many miles of roads that were new to me.

Reason #5: Experience something new.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kylepeterson

nothing like opening the 'recents' and finding maps/klr/sunshine.

really pretty for all three. :)

sorry you're hating that klr so much. maybe one day you'll find a motorcycle that gives you happiness ;-)

JBMFT

Chitza

Yeah. Sunshine and KLRs. Good stuff. Both already said. And since I had to WORK to work yesterday....
back at cha' bro
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

Thanky, thanky...

I started from the house with a full tank of non-corn gas.  At 246 miles, I had to switch to reserve.  At 290 miles, the bike died again.  I poured in both 30-oz bottles of gas and proceeded to the nearest gas station, which was the Valero at Exit 284 in Warrior.  I refilled the two MSR bottles, but did not put any gas in the bike.  At 315 miles the bike died again. 

So the max range of my KLR is 315 miles with two MSR bottles.  290 miles without the bottles.  For reference, I am currently 222 pounds, the bike has been rejetted with JD jet kit, the snorkle has been removed, and the airbox opened.  Most of the riding was 55-60 on two-lane.

Nice Goat

KLR tank is 6.1 gallons, so I averaged 48.0 mpg

Guidedawg

Yeah, yeah, but how was the BBQ?  ;D

Nice Goat

Very nice smokey flavor.  Pulled pork sandwich, small fries, large ice tea = $8.70