News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

FNG

Started by Frank Smith, February 27, 2017, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Smith

All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm very much into riding both street and some light adventuring. I am retired from the army but still working another job and hoping to retire once and for all one day soon.  I enjoy the company of fellow riders and wrenching on my own bikes as much as I can. I want to ride the TAT someday soon. Need to talk to members who have done so and can advise me on the ability of a my bike to make it. I consider myself a good rider as I grew up on dirt bikes and then progressed to street bikes. But my heart is longing for the dirt.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

jrobinson

Welcome from Paint Rock Valley.

Holler if you have any questions.

Oh, we like pics too. lol

renchinrider

Welcome from another Huntsville (street) rider.
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Hammerdown77

Greetings from another Huntsville, and R1200GS rider!

Others may be more knowledgable regarding the TAT, but I've talked to a few people who have done it or know people who have done it recently, and I think the bike you choose depends on how much of it you are riding. I was told, that the segment from here to about Texas, was do-able on a bike up to about a V-Strom in size (which would be similar to the R1200GS, assuming you don't put 300 lbs of crap on the back). The Western section of the TAT is more suited for real dual sport or dirt bikes (think 400 lbs or less).

Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to that, but these are the data points I have from my conversations.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Guidedawg

Welcome to the boards from a rather non-adventuresome street rider from Montgomery!

Frank Smith

Thanks for the welcoming comments. If I can't ride the TAT on my GS I may be looking for another bike to do so.  Really need to hear from someone who's ridden it.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

norton73

Welcome from Springville.

Have you looked over on Advrider? Plenty of threads over there by people who have done the TAT, read a few reports, maybe ask on a few.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Frank Smith

Quote from: norton73 on February 28, 2017, 06:28:47 PM
Welcome from Springville.

Have you looked over on Advrider? Plenty of threads over there by people who have done the TAT, read a few reports, maybe ask on a few.

I'll try that. Thanks!
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F