News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

New from Auburn

Started by Tortuga353, July 08, 2017, 05:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tortuga353

I live in Auburn and just got a KTM 500 EXC after a 10 year hiatus from motorcycles.  I have been riding MTB and road bikes (pedal) during this time.  It took me a while to get the wife on board with another motorcycle. 

My background was almost purely Motocross.  I started riding at 7 years old on a 1979 CT70.  I pretty much rode that thing into the ground in GA on trails behind my house.  We used to pretend we were riding the Blackwater 100 and run the bike upstream in the creek behind the house.

I then graduated to a KX80 and spent most of my time on the track and ran several of the amature Loretta Lynns qualifiers in GA in the 90's.  I shared the tracks with talented folks like Ricky Carmichael, Shane Lusk (Not as fast as Ezra), and Shae Bentley.   I wasn't ever any good at racing but I loved being on a bike and riding.  I then had many bikes over the years CR125/250's, YZ's, XR's, Rebel, Nighthawks, Shadow, and now a KTM.  I don't love street riding and will trailer my bike for any long road portions.  I found out my MTB and motocross skills don't necessarily make a good trail/enduro rider.  I did manage to wrestle the 500 around Highlands Off-road Park in Cedartown but I did a lot of padeling and stalled out on some rutted technical climbs.

Ok, well enough rambling but I look forward to riding/meeting/discussing bikes with everyone.  I'll keep working on my trail riding and getting my guts/handling skills back. 

Chitza

Welcome, Tortuga! We have plenty of dirty riders here. Watch the Let's Ride and Planned Rides. Jump in when you see something you want to join.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

Welcome Tortuga353! Great intro!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Welcome to BR!  Just bought a 350 EXC-F myself ... and I sux at riding the hard stuff ... but it sho' is fun!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kdtrull

Welcome from the Shoals area.

Chuck & Susan

Welcome from L.A. Hope to see ya soon at one of the functions. 
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

renchinrider

Welcome from Huntsville, Tortuga!  I post periodic updates in the Vintage section of the Bikes category.  Whenever I find out about anything going on involving vintage dirt bikes, I include it in the updates.  Nothing going on right now you don't already know about (Loretta Lynn's MX Nationals at the end of this month), but there'll be some more flat track dirt events coming up over the next couple of months.

I'm no longer a dirt/dual sport rider myself, but I'll look forward to meeting you along the way whenever BR or similar events bring us together!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Guidedawg

Welcome from a street rider in Montgomery!

ktmer