Saturday Ride: Huntsville - Natchez Trace Loop

Started by renchinrider, July 19, 2017, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hey, Huntsville-Area Riders,

This Saturday (July 22), I'm going to get out and ride a loop of about 220 miles.  Here's the route:

9:30 am:  Depart Blue Plate Cafe II on S. Mem Parkway and go south to Highway 36.  Travel 36, then 67 to Priceville/Decatur.  Travel Beltline to its terminus at Highway 20.

At Highway 20, travel west thru Historic Courtland, then merge onto US 72 W, to Muscle Shoals and Cherokee.

After Cherokee, enter the Natchez Trace heading north.  Follow Natchez Trace north to Lawrenceburg, TN.  Depending on time and appetite, stop for lunch at Chad's Family Restaurant in Collinwood.  More likely, take Natchez Trace to U.S. 64, and travel east into Lawrenceburg, TN.  Have lunch at the Brass Lantern Restaurant in Lawrenceburg (http://legendssteakhouse.com/brasslantern.php).

After lunch, follow 64 to Fayetteville, then take US 431 South back to Huntsville.

The route is fairly straightforward and I won't be riding in any rush (I'm tentatively planning to ride my vintage Super Glide).  No need to RSVP; if you want to ride along just meet me at the Blue Plate Cafe II, either for breakfast with the NAVMC at 8, or afterwards at about 9:20.
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

kdtrull

If you have the time and inclination, take the loop around Riverton Rose Trail just past where you'd get on the trace in Colbert county for your original route.  It's a very nice curvy road with a few elevation changes along the waters and backwaters of the Tennessee River....great country.  It will take you on a loop (almost) that comes back out on the Trace a little farther north.

renchinrider

Thanks for the tip, KD!  I'm googling it now!  I'll let you know how it comes out. :D

renchinrider

KD, you were right!  Riverton Rose Trail became a highlight of our ride today!  I wound up doing the ride with one fellow rider--Scott, aboard his '79 Naked Gold Wing!  You probably recognize this spot along the Trail.... by

kdtrull

Glad you enjoyed it. 

Some local trivia:  Just a few weeks ago, some escaped Mississippi inmates stole a truck and ended up on the Riverton Rose Trail.  Guess they didn't know there was only a couple ways in and and out.  Law enforcement agencies rained in and caught them fairly quickly.  They briefly lost them on some of the private hunting roads but that didn't last long.

There used to be a great place up on the hills to look out over the river on the north end of the loop (See Eagle Point Dr. on the google maps).  It is now a gated neighborhood.....the peasants shall never see the view again!

renchinrider

Aaahh, I saw the sign for that community, but knew nothing of its past.  Too bad the view is now excluded to us rank-and-file folks... :(  That aside, it's still a great ride, especially along the waterside!

Hope the inmates enjoyed the ride--for the few minutes their freedom lasted! >:(  Glad they're back in captivity, and so quickly!