News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riverton Rose Trail, Natchez Trace Parkway and Etc

Started by renchinrider, July 22, 2017, 09:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Had an awesome ride today with NAVMC fellow rider Scott.  I rode my '74 Shovel and Scott rode his '79 Naked Gold Wing (actually, an amazing bike with a story all its own...but that's another story!)  We left the Blue Plate with six bikes.  At Decatur, we took a short water break.  Afterward, one of the six peeled off at his house, two diverted based on the heat, and another split to travel a shorter route, leaving Scott and me by ourselves for the remainder of the ride.  We traversed Decatur's Beltline (yes, it got mighty warm sitting at all those traffic lights!  :-\  But when we headed west on AL Highway 20, we cooled down fairly quickly.  We cruised uneventfully to Tuscumbia, where we topped off our fuel tanks and poured down some water and gatorade.  From there, we headed out on US 72 west until we got to the Riverton Rose Trail.  KDTrull had recommended this segment of road to me, and it was good advice!  It's a beautiful ride, and it turned out to be one of our ride highlights.. by

From there, we entered the Natchez Trace Parkway.  In NTP trivia, the Natchez Trace is the first Federal road constructed in Alabama, having been built following an agreement signed in 1801 between federal representatives and the Chickasaw Indian Nation, represented by Chief George Colbert, an influential leader who was half Scot and half Chickasaw.  The Natchez Trace was built to connect important trade locations in the Mississippi territory to other main trade routes in Kentucky and Ohio.

Today's NTP is a wonderful road to ride, with no stop signs or traffic lights, but society has encroached on it at some points along the way.  Regardless, we enjoyed the scenery and relaxed riding all the way to Collinwood, where we stopped for lunch.  As it was already shortly after 1 when we got there, we headed straight for Chad's Family Restaurant.  I took a photo of riding partner Scott out in front of the restaurant. [url=https://flic.kr/p/WMWHQK]
. by

We had some good sandwiches for lunch, headed around the corner and "fed" the bikes, and then got back on our way.  We continued north on the NTP until we reached US 64, where we exited and headed east.  At Lawrenceburg, we turned south and took a series of backroads from Lawrenceburg, TN back to Athens.  Along the way, we stopped for water and a break in the shade.  [url=https://flic.kr/p/Wpcibb]
. by      [url=https://flic.kr/p/VHuk4j]. by

From there, we headed on through a brief (WONDERFUL!!!) rain shower to Athens, where Scott peeled off to head to his home and I took the direction that led to mine.

The ride length was approximately 240 miles, and it was great.  In retrospect, I would rather take back roads to Riverton Rose Trail, rather than traveling straight there on AL 20.  I am also glad we decided to veer off of U.S. 64 and travel back into Alabama on the back roads.  Scott has now proven that heat is not a factor for him, and he is an Intrepid Rider!  I would recommend this ride to anyone, and will share the route with anyone interested.

The planning is already underway for another ride covering more of the NTP, but it won't happen until the weather cools somewhat! ;D
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

kdtrull

Wish I could have ridden with y'all some....but yesterday was somewhat of a mess.

renchinrider

Hope you can join next time!  I'll post when we set the date and route for the Fall NTP ride.  Thanks again for introducing us to the Riverton Rose Trail!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Hammerdown77

On the recommendation from you guys, I decided to check out Riverton Rose Trail on my way to the Trace yesterday.  It really is a great road, thanks for pointing it out!

I rode from West Huntsville to Decatur, then hopped on 72W-Alt all the way to Cherokee. Did the loop of RRT, then got on the Trace. Took the Trace all the way to its northern terminus in Pasquo, TN, then looped back through Frankilin, Columbia, and Pulaski back home.

I've never been on the Trace much south of Columbia, although I rode my bicycle on that northernmost section of it a lot when I lived in Nashville.  As far as motorcycling goes, the most "fun" portion is that last bit in Tennessee. However, the parts below that are still very scenic. Just set the cruise (my bike has cruise) at 55 mph and enjoy the ride.

Would like to run the whole thing from Natchez to Pasquo eventually.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Bamagator

That ride has been on my bucket list for a while.  I heard it is just a slow relaxing roll.  Also heard lots of LEOs on it and to keep pace proper.  Good pics and story man.

kdtrull

Quote from: Bamagator on August 04, 2017, 05:41:07 PM
Also heard lots of LEOs on it and to keep pace proper.

Much of the Trace is not patrolled near as much as it used to be.  But, they will stop you if you exceed the limit by too much.  I've been ignored several times going 5 over.  I ride the section from Colbert county AL up to Collinwood, TN fairly often and I haven't seen anyone pulled over in years.  You will see patrols more frequently the closer you get to Nashville.  They seem to tend to the bicyclists fairly well....and there's lots of bicycles on the Nashville end.

Crandon

Quote from: renchinrider on July 22, 2017, 09:20:04 PM
We had some good sandwiches for lunch, headed around the corner and "fed" the bikes, and then got back on our way.  We continued north on the NTP until we reached US 64, where we exited and headed east.  At Lawrenceburg, we turned south and took a series of backroads from Lawrenceburg, TN back to Athens.  Along the way, we stopped for water and a break in the shade.  . by      [url=https://flic.kr/p/VHuk4j]. by

Where you stopped here is the Grassy Community, the road came from Loretto to there is Rabbit Trail Road.  I think that it is a much funner ride going north on that road, to me it feels more like a roller coaster ride between Bonnertown Groceries and Five Points.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."