Grand(on a small scale) Canyon Ride **Cancelled**

Started by Chitza, August 16, 2017, 07:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Chitza

I am riding to Providence Canyon(just east of Eufaula, AL) on Saturday, September 9. From there, over to Andersonville Prison just east of Americus, GA.

Meet: Waffle House on Walker Chapel Rd in Fultondale, Exit 267 on I-65. We will make a stop around the MOntgomery area if any southern riders want to join.
Time: 7:00am for breakfast; KSU 7:45.
Pace/route: mostly highway to Eufaula, backroads from there. Pace will be speed limit + 5-10. We will ride from Providence Canyon to Andersonville that afternoon. You can stay at a hotel in Americus(many options, I will post later) or join me at Andersonville City Campground

http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listing/169-andersonville-rv-park

Return: We will tour Andersonville Prison on Sunday. I will  weave my way back to Hwy 280 in Columbus, GA, to head home.  I grew up in this area along the Flint River. There are some nice roads and scenery between Anericus and Columbus. You can join on the route back to Birmingham or take off toward your Labor Day destination.

This ride is going to have some interstate "get there" time, some rural roads with beautiful scenery and some twisties. Come join me and have a bit of it all!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chitza

There is a route change. I measured times and they were tight if we were gonna actually SEE anything.

Here is some info on Providence Canyon. There is a $5 entrance fee.

http://gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon

And Andersonville Prison. There is no entrance fee.

https://www.nps.gov/ande/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

JBMFT

I'm interested. Where would be we staying overnight...hotel, camping, etc?

Chitza

I want to camp but there's not much available. I'm still investigating. Providence Canyon has camping but it is very limited and strict. I am hoping to find a reasonable option for folks to choose between the two. Americus has plenty of hotels and a KOA, 6 people to a site, $40. I'm still looking.

JBMFT

Thank you, I'm going to see if I can make it work!  :)

Guidedawg

Several years ago, a friend and I camped very close to the Andersonville historic site near Americus.  It was legal, but probably below most primitive sites.  I do not recall any amenities but it was quite some time back.

I've never seen Providence Canyon but I can attest that a visit to Andersonville is very sobering.  We also stopped at the Jimmy Carter museum since we went through Plains.

Unfortunately, I will be in Mississippi that weekend but hope y'all have a great time!

Chitza

I have updated the original post with a new departure time and plan as well as camping plans. If you're interested in civil war history, this is a ride you don't want to miss. We will be doing some very easy hiking around the rim of Providence Canyon.

Gam

I backpacked around it many years ago, there were lots of coyotes that night.

Chitza

Quote from: Gam on August 22, 2017, 09:17:50 PM
I backpacked around it many years ago, there were lots of coyotes that night.

I went to college in Americus. We spent many weekend days at Providence Canyon. And some nights :D

JBMFT

God willing and the creek don't rise, I'm in!  8)

Chitza

If you want to go and prefer a hotel room, a trip advisor search shows Days Inn, Quality Inn and Hampton Inn, all in Americus, with fair enough ratings ranging from $56/night up to $115/night for Saturday night. Americus is 10miles from Andersonville.

For dinnerSaturday night, I will tell you guys my Jimmy Carter story :)

Chitza

My bike is not cooperating. In prepping for a ride today, there is either a battery or sprag clutch issue. JBMFT backed out and we would be traveling through two major Lake areas on Labor Day weekend. So I have moved this ride to Sept 9. If you were busy for Labor Day and want to go, post up! We're still going!!

Graham.Roderick ATD

Hey guys,

Your local tourism friend Graham here again, I have been looking through this particular thread on the forum and would love to feature some of these rides that y'all put together. Maybe one day I can join. I think this would be a good way of introducing some of the rides that are actually worth trying instead of trying to put something together that is slightly different from a ride that I saw in a book or brochure.

Would love to know the final routes that you take on this route when y'all are done.

And please let me know if I am over stepping boundaries by discussing "business" or I am just being plain annoying by asking some many questions and requesting this and that on this forum.

Thank you,
Graham

Chitza

Just over a week away! Who's joining? This is gonna be an awesome trip and you can hang with The Yeti! All skill levels will have fun on this ride. We will have some lazy country backroads as well as some twisties.