North Carolina Mountain Sport ride Oct 16-18

Started by klaviator, September 10, 2015, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

• NC Mt Ride

klaviator

If my work schedule doesn't change, I'm planning on heading to North Carolina for some serious riding of twisty roads.  I haven't made exact plans yet so I posted this in Let's ride.  I am leaning towards staying at Iron Horse both nights and camping.  This will be a sporty ride on some seriously twisty roads.  I like to ride a pretty fast pace in the curves but take it easy on the straights so you don't need a high speed sport bike for this ride.  As usual, I'll wait at all turns for slower riders.

This would not be a good ride for beginners.  If nothing else the sheer number of curves will wear you out.  These are not all easy roads like the Cherohala Skyway or Deals Gap. 

Let me know if you are interested in coming along and if you prefer Campiing or motels.  I'm flexible on how I set this up.

I plan on leaving Friday morning but if someone needs to work and leave later on Friday I can set up a meeting somewhere.  Saturday will be a full day of riding.  Sunday will have some riding in the mountains and then the return home.

My work schedule might throw a monkey wrench in this but hopefully not.

Chuck A.

You know more twistier roads than the last ride to Georgia? :o Have fun ???
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

polarissalesman

sounds like a good time.... darnit work always gets in the way .....
"keep the rubber side down"

Johnny Tobyone

R1200R
CRF450L

lostinbama

Quote from: klaviator on September 10, 2015, 01:58:58 PM
  These are not all easy roads like the Cherohala Skyway or Deals Gap. 

If you know of roads than make Deals Gap look easy, I wanna know what they are. Please. I should have a street bike again soon and I'm jonesing for a mountain trip.

klaviator

Quote from: lostinbama on September 23, 2015, 12:31:01 PM
Quote from: klaviator on September 10, 2015, 01:58:58 PM
  These are not all easy roads like the Cherohala Skyway or Deals Gap. 

If you know of roads than make Deals Gap look easy, I wanna know what they are. Please. I should have a street bike again soon and I'm jonesing for a mountain trip.

Get it in the next couple of weeks and come join me on this ride.  I'd enjoy riding with you again.  If you like tight, twisty, steep and little traffic, you'll enjoy these roads.  I do have to warn you that some of the sport bike riders that have followed me through these roads thought they were too twisty ::)

Al Goodwin and Jrou didn't have any complaints:

lostinbama

NO such thing as too twisty. We'll see when I get a bike and free time for a trip

klaviator

Quote from: lostinbama on September 23, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
NO such thing as too twisty. We'll see when I get a bike and free time for a trip

I agree.  I have never been on any paved road that was too twisty.  However, one of these roads has an interesting story.  The Late Frank Cheek, founder and original owner of the Two Wheels Only Motorcycle resort once told me a story.  He told me that he found a road that was too steep and too twisty to ride on a motorcycle.  He named it the Too Too road.  Years later I searched out that road.  It's a blast to ride but I still call it the Too Too road in honor of Frank. 

jrou111

If Shane goes on this trip, I definitely want to try and join. I'll probably bring my supermoto this time though.  8)

lostinbama

Quote from: jrou111 on September 24, 2015, 09:54:26 PM
If Shane goes on this trip, I definitely want to try and join. I'll probably bring my supermoto this time though.  8)

I honestly won't be about to make this trip. I've got too much going on in October and still no street bike. It's gonna happen soon. Hell, I've already bought a hammock!

klaviator

Weather permitting, I may do another trip in November.  It would be a motel, not camping trip.  I'll definitely be going back several times next year starting in April or May.

klaviator

Change of plans for this ride.  My wife's plans changed and she will be able to come with me on this ride.  So, I will be 2 up on the scooter and this will be more of a moderate paced ride.  I booked a room at the San Ran Motel in Robbinsville http://www.sanranmotel.com/ for Friday and Saturday night.  We will be leaving Huntsville Friday morning around 9 AM.  Saturday will be a ride in the NC mountains.  Sunday I'll probably do a first light ride through Deal's Gap and then back to Robbinsville before heading home. 

If anyone wants to come along let me know and I'll set up a time and place to meet.  Besides the San Ran Motel there are 2 other motels nearby in Robbinsville.  The Microtel is about a 2 minute walk away and the Phillips Motel about 6 or 7 minute walk.