News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Checking out the Fall colors.

Started by klaviator, November 04, 2017, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

The weather forecast for today was not good but when the sun came out and proved the weather forecasters wrong I couldn't resist going for a ride.  I headed out a little after noon and headed for Paint Rock Valley.

Heading up 65 I decided to head down one of the side roads and see where it went.

The leaves were nice but it was raining bugs.  It was so bad it reminded me of love bug season in Florida.

I had to keep cleaning my visor.

The road soon turned to dirt.

I rode along for a while but when it started getting muddy I turned around.  Street tires and mud aren't a good combination.

This pile will make a huge bonfire someday.

Back on 65.

Despite the beautiful sunny weather, shaded parts of the road were still wet and often had wet leaves so I took it easy on the curves.

I headed towards Crow Mountain.

I rode down CR33 and back up.  And then did the same for CR39. 

CR39 has some of the steepest curves around.

This was my first long ride on the Versys in quite a while.  I wish I could have pushed it a bit harder in the curves but at least I was able to enjoy the colors.

klaviator

The gate was open on one of the side roads off of 39 so I rode down it a bit.

I kind of wished I was on the KLR, it would have been more fun in the dirt.  I soon turned around and then rode back to 79 which I took into TN.

I turned around and went back up the hill to get this pic.

I rode 50 from just West of Winchester to just outside of Lynchburg.  It's a great road but the colors were nicer in Alabama.  After that it was getting late so I took mostly boring roads back home.  My total miles for the day was a little over 200.  It was good to get out and go for more than just a short ride around town.  Hopefully I'll have the chance to do it again before the leaves all fall off the trees.

jrobinson

I was outside working most of the day. I saw a few bikes go by, but not as many as I expected on a day like today.

Looked like a good day to ride.

Those beetles are covering up the place.

Chuck A.

Colors look great. Very inviting to say the least. I had to donate a kidney just to get off work to finish my porch rebuild this weekend :car:

I'm gonna ride somewhere tomorrow, just don't know where. Hate the wet leaves on the roadway but love me some fall colors. :respect-048:
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

this_guy

Nice pictures Win!  I've got a long weekend coming up and going riding/camping somewhere. Think the leaves will be nicer heading south?

klaviator

Quote from: this_guy on November 06, 2017, 01:53:10 PM
Nice pictures Win!  I've got a long weekend coming up and going riding/camping somewhere. Think the leaves will be nicer heading south?

The colors were nice in Paint Rock Valley and Crow Mountain but past their peak in Tennessee.  My guess is they will be better a bit further south this weekend. 

this_guy

Quote from: klaviator on November 06, 2017, 04:21:08 PM
The colors were nice in Paint Rock Valley and Crow Mountain but past their peak in Tennessee.  My guess is they will be better a bit further south this weekend.

I'm leaning towards Cheaha and riding the Skyway. Hit some covered bridges along the way. Any suggested roads/camp grounds/spots to visit?

klaviator

Quote from: this_guy on November 07, 2017, 08:38:45 AM
I'm leaning towards Cheaha and riding the Skyway. Hit some covered bridges along the way. Any suggested roads/camp grounds/spots to visit?

Mt Cheaha area sounds like a good idea.  I don't have any suggestions but I'm sure the Birmingham area members know the area better than I do and could come up with some suggestions.  Maybe start a thread in the let's ride section, post what you are thinking of doing and ask for suggestions. 

Chuck A.

Win, Thank you posting these ride reports. My job has ruled my life the last couple of years, this year more so and riding has been very slim to none existing. These posting at least lets me see the sights in one form or fashion.   :respect-048:
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson