Main Menu

Dual-Sportin the Free-State IX

Started by Al Goodwin, January 23, 2018, 05:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

MsSGriff

Quote from: Al Goodwin on April 23, 2018, 07:52:16 PM
Looking like 20 or so????

We can have a group of faster guys .....if someone is willing to lead the group.  I'll have a printout of the route if y'all have roll-charts you could cut the printouts and use them.  I'll print it in size to fit chart holders......
I count approximately 28 for Saturday at least. We'll bring firewood.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

Quote from: springer on April 24, 2018, 11:04:49 PM
I have sorta forgotten. ..can we use a hammock?

You shouldn't have any issues finding trees. Several people have used hammocks in the past.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Gam

Hope to be there Friday, going to truck the klx, plan on paddling around the lake and traipsing through the Cowcumbers on Friday.

LT

Quote from: Al Goodwin on January 23, 2018, 05:45:16 PM
Come one, come all dual-sport riders to the event of the year, so I've heard. ???

April 27-29.....activities like sausage fest on Friday night, Bacon fest Saturday morning, lunch at the world famous Chef Troy's Talk of the Town.....

Where....Brushy Lake recreation area/campground, in the beautiful Bankhead National Forrest.

Route will consist of true dual-sporting, limited blacktop, dirt roads, old road beds, maybe even some true trail riding if a group wants to hit the Flint Creek trail system.

Bikes must be tagged and insured, we'll have the "motor vehicle use map" printed out and with us to insure we stay legal.

So, make your calendars.....

We'll be doing some scouting ride prior to the event to find some new things, and visit some from years past.
I keep seeing "install knobbies" and "trailer klxyz (dirt-bias bike) and chart holder. Can my. Wee-strom do this with a 70/30 tire?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

klaviator

Quote from: LT on April 25, 2018, 01:54:23 PM
I keep seeing "install knobbies" and "trailer klxyz (dirt-bias bike) and chart holder. Can my. Wee-strom do this with a 70/30 tire?

Can a V Strom do this ride?  This one did:

norton73

I've ridden my BMW R100GS on this ride before, anything much harder than an ATV trail is optional.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

it's just really fun to take a tiny bike on DS rides and smoke through the forest. the vstrom/BMW guys will have fun on their bikes, no biggie.

I'm bringing either a drz with street tires or a kdx with knobbies, depends on the rain. both are tagged.

hopefully it rained real good Thursday or Friday, so we won't have any dust to deal with this weekend.  :)
just give 'er the berries !

klaviator

Most of this ride is easy dirt/gravel roads and paved roads.  There are a couple of dead end trails that are rutted and muddy and will be a handfull on a big bike without knobbies if they are wet.  They are optional.  You can wait for everyone to go down and back.  Most likely you will not be alone.  It's supposed to rain Thursday and be dry fri-sun.  This should keep the dust down. 

Then there is the Flint Creek trail.  Someone did it on a V strom last fall but I wouldn't.  I did it on my KLR and found it pretty challenging.  I'm neither a noob or an expert off road.  Some people may ride this trail this weekend but I won't be one of them.

Keep in mind that we have had people do this ride two up on big bikes.

Gam

Quote from: kylepeterson on April 23, 2018, 08:33:23 PM
omg
omg
omg
roll charts ?

anybody got an extra chart holder?

admittedly I will cheat and look at the GPS as soon as I'm lost, but this sounds kind a great fun kind of idea.

I'm  moist!!!

I got your chart holder, the face is missing so if it rains the paper is going to break. It needs a metal screw type hose clamp to hold it to the bars, seem to have lost that too. It does have the route from the last time I rode LBL. 

kylepeterson

Quote from: Gam on April 25, 2018, 04:21:08 PM
I got your chart holder, the face is missing so if it rains the paper is going to break. It needs a metal screw type hose clamp to hold it to the bars, seem to have lost that too. It does have the route from the last time I rode LBL.

that's awesome thanks man!

kylepeterson

I always carry a tow strap. no biggie we'll get everyone through

kylepeterson

David DoubleEX

Been pitching a tent in the living room to make sure its all good...
Also going to bring a netted canopy that hasn't been put up in forever... I hope all the pieces are there!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

springer

Quote from: kylepeterson on April 25, 2018, 08:40:11 PM
are you riding up?
That is the plan. Friday will depend on how rough the Thursday  11pm-7am Friday morning shift is.
Thinking riding out about 1pm-3pm ish Friday morning...getting there some time well before dark. If not leave out early...as in around 5 am Saturday morning.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Frank Smith

Quote from: David DoubleEX on April 22, 2018, 11:00:36 PM
Whats the current headcount looking like? Do we have enough to practically split into two groups?

I think I would lean towards the rougher ride myself. But I'm up for whatever!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Count me in. 1 old noob on his WR. I don't need help picking it back up. I've mastered that.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F