News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding around Walker Co. 2-6-18

Started by springer, February 07, 2018, 11:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Decided to go for a little ride around yesterday. Thought I would hit some trails that my buds and I use to take "back in the day".  :D Didn't have much luck but I did find the remains of once was a popular trial to, or I should say, from an old abandon mine in Mulga.
By noon I found my self in Walker county riding down a dirt road;

and came across an old dirt racetrack that I had never heard of.

All in all, not a bad day to be out and about. Expressly for February in good ol'Alabama.

Come on spring time! Lets get going, okay.  ;) 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

So did ya get out there on that old track and practice your dirt tracking skills?

springer

Quote from: klaviator on February 07, 2018, 11:50:00 AM
So did ya get out there on that old track and practice your dirt tracking skills?
Naw, couldn't get into and on the track with out cutting a lock.  ;)

Who ever owns/owned the track left the main gate open and the gate to the spectators/grandstand open so that's fair game, right?  ;)

Went by a lot of places we use to ride in the 80's and 90's that are all locked up tight.  :-[ Hunting clubs and liability reasons are the 2 main reasons or so I am told.
I have some "old fashion" ideas about that.

1. I get hurt off-road riding, it is my fault...not the landowners.
2. I do not cut locks. If you don't want me riding your place, that's okay by me.   
3. If it is not locked and open' then its fair game.
4. I do not trash a place up. My garbage n stuff is my responsibility. I bring it in, I take it out with me.

Back in the 80's and early to mid 90's there were plenty of places less than 10 minutes from where I live now to ride...all day long rides.   

90% of them are under lock and key now.  :-[

I have been away from off-road riding since the late 90's for that reason...and my complete lack of skills now are the results.  ::)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SpeedyR

how are the road up around Pigeon Mtn? I used to live in that area and did a lot of hiking and MTBing in that area. Now that I have a DS I'd like to go back and wander around. Also some dirt roads if you head east of Lafayette on 136 at the top of the mountain you cross just outside of town.

springer

Decent but hard to find. Went down a few I though we're dirt roads but turned out to be long dirt driveways. ;)

KevinB

I think one of y'all is talking about Walker Co. Alabama, the other Walker Co. Georgia.  :)

Gam

Quote from: SpeedyR on February 12, 2018, 03:42:53 PM
how are the road up around Pigeon Mtn? I used to live in that area and did a lot of hiking and MTBing in that area. Now that I have a DS I'd like to go back and wander around. Also some dirt roads if you head east of Lafayette on 136 at the top of the mountain you cross just outside of town.

You can't get on the ridge road anymore from the top of the mountain on 136, you have to take Smith Gap Rd., they have paved part of the Picnic Narrows Rd.,  the dead end Ponder Rd. is still good. Don't know how long it has been since you have been to Pigeon Mtn., but Rocky Lane is paved to the top of the mountain, hanging a left toward the hood overlook you will hit gates except in hunting season, hanging a right you will have dirt past sawmill, then you hit pave/dirt, they did a cheap paving job a good while ago, a lot of the pavement has washed away, big potholes in what is left, the dead end Estelle Mine Rd. is open a good bit of the time.