Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Spring Maintenance Day & BBQ - April 7th

Started by bblass, March 07, 2018, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Fencejumper09

So this is what we have:

I figured we could put a dial indicator or just a piece of wood or plastic to tell us if the wheel is true. @springer is yours fancier than this? We can meet up tomorrow at the usual place if so!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

It is about the same. I have a dial indicator but generally I do not use it, I use the solid pointy thing.(I find it to be just as fast and about as accurate)  Set it up so it barely touches the rim at its farthest deviation and true from there. Most rims will not have a lot of deviation unless the rim it self is warped.
I find the dial indicator useful when the wheel needs to be rebuilt. (New rim, new spokes)

Looks like y'all are good to go! ;)   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

Quote from: springer on April 02, 2018, 11:44:16 AM
It is about the same. I have a dial indicator but generally I do not use it, I use the solid pointy thing.(I find it to be just as fast and about as accurate)  Set it up so it barely touches the rim at its farthest deviation and true from there. Most rims will not have a lot of deviation unless the rim it self is warped.
I find the dial indicator useful when the wheel needs to be rebuilt. (New rim, new spokes)

Looks like y'all are good to go! ;)

I think we will be set! Thanks for the offer and wish you could make it!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

norton73

I take a magic marker and hold it close to the rim. Where it makes a mark is the wobble, loosen the spokes on that side, tighten on the other. Repeat on the other side of the wheel...
Loose nut holding the handlebars

jrobinson

If only we had a How To video of the process.  8)

springer

Quote from: jrobinson on April 02, 2018, 01:36:06 PM
If only we had a How To video of the process.  8)

Just a clicky click away....

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Slede

done a few of those, and I now find myself off that weekend...
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

bblass

Sounds like you need to come eat bbq, enjoy a few beers and true up some rims then!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

TFancher

It appears that we can't build enough Benz's (what is the plural of Benz? Benz'? Benzi?) in 5 days this week so my presence has been requested (required) at work Saturday. I might make an appearance later in the day.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

David DoubleEX

I'm disliking the prediction for weather
Any change in plans in the event of rain?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

kylepeterson

Quote from: norton73 on April 02, 2018, 01:03:18 PM
I take a magic marker and hold it close to the rim. Where it makes a mark is the wobble, loosen the spokes on that side, tighten on the other. Repeat on the other side of the wheel...

the first time I saw s guy using chalk I thought he was crazy. we had all these expensive/precision tools for stuff like that.

then he schooled everyone that thought they knew stuff by finishing in 1/10 the time, made coffee, and helped us with the tricky parts, like offset and dish..... didn't even say a thing about us trying to use front wheel spokes on  rear wheel..
just give 'er the berries !

bblass

I've got a few covered areas out back so we're prepared for the occasional shower.

Last I looked it was AM Showers with a cloudy afternoon, hopefully that still stands.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

kylepeterson

Quote from: David DoubleEX on April 03, 2018, 05:48:58 PM
I'm disliking the prediction for weather
Any change in plans in the event of rain?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

if it rains that much I'll bring a hammock and zzzzz
just give 'er the berries !