News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

North Alabama Vintage Riders Digest for March 31, 2018

Started by renchinrider, April 02, 2018, 09:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hi, Everyone!

I could write a short epic about our full day of activities on March 31st.  The "Breakfast and a Movie" event featuring "The Hogslayer" was a great idea.  Watching the Gregory/Christenson race team and their Norton motorcycle win title after title was enough to get everyone excited about riding!

We had a great ride to lunch and then to Barber, with RJ leading us over hill and dale along scenic backroads until we reached Moody and our lunch destination. 

RJ's choice of Bluegrass BBQ was another great choice, and got our human fuel tanks back onto the full mark before heading to Barber for Volunteer training.

After the training and a brief opportunity to browse the Barber Museum display, Mike Ashbaugh took the lead and took us over another set of backroads until we reached Cullman, where everyone dispersed to return to their respective homes.

Special thanks go to:

Fred Kroeger, for setting up the special training event for us at Barber
RJ, for planning the showing of "The Hogslayer" and then leading us to Bluegrass BBQ and on to Barber
Scott Paulson, for his automation expertise that enabled the showing of "The Hogslayer"
Mike Ashbaugh, for leading the return
Mike Long and Sammy Stetler, for providing us with backup recovery support (which we thankfully never needed!!)

Here are our upcoming events:

April 14:  Garage Crawl to Gordon Byrd's shop in Decatur!  Gordon has a decades-long legacy building and riding a wide variety of motorcycles, and this garage crawl promises to contain excitement for everyone, regardless what kind of bikes we call our "favorites"!

Also, for any of you who will be in the Leeds area on the 14th, The Bike Shop, a MotorcycleAlabama contributor, is hosting a Gymkhana for anyone and everyone interested in honing their riding skills through low-speed maneuver training.  https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2754.0

- April 21-22:  Spring Vintage and 2-Stroke Bike Weekend at Two Wheels of Suches.  Our own Mike Long and at least a couple of other riders will be traveling to this event.  PM Michael Long on Facebook if you're interested in taking part.  http://twowheelsofsuches.com/event/legends-weekend/?instance_id=131

- April 28th:  The Athens Car and Bike Show.  This show is growing by the day, and everything indicates that we'll pack the lot this year with exciting bikes and activities.  UPDATE:  Since last posting of the Digest, the Huntsville Chapter of the Christian Motorcyclists Association has announced that they'll participate again this year!  I'll be getting my bike blessed, and I'm sure they'll be happy to bless yours too!  I sent out a special edition last week to highlight our emphasis on youth participation this year.  This year's show is gonna be exciting!

- May 5-6:  A weekend with AMA Hall of Famer Graham Foster, enjoying both on and off road riding in the area of Dahlonega, GA.  Frank Conseglia is leading coordination on our end.  We'll post details of the trip both here and on Facebook as the plan solidifies.  If you're interested in taking part in this event, please either reply to me or PM Frank Coseglia on Facebook and let him know that you plan to participate!

-May 18-20:  Second Annual All-Female Motorcycle Ride Weekend!  https://www.cyclefish.com/motorcycle_event/38333

Please reply back and let me know any events I have missed, or to share any vintage-related stories that interest you!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!