News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Greetings from another David.

Started by David DoubleEX, April 24, 2018, 05:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David DoubleEX

Hey guys! Figure I should make an actual introduction. I'm David. I started riding on a 2005 Ninja EX500. I rode it for a couple years until I forgot how to check the oil and it ran dry a little too long. What's that knocking sound?

Once I wasted a lot of time trying to part out the ninja, I started looking for a new bike. I thought I wanted an adventure bike that I could take off road as well. So I found the bulletproof 2006 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Its ugly. The huge headlights are stupid. And its way too heavy for ME to want to take it off road. But it eats up miles easily and comfortably. Its as reliable as a tank. Its nimble enough to be plenty of fun in the corners. It always gets me where I want to go and I have a great time in the process. I don't currently plan on getting rid of it... Yet... I have been eyeballing the gen2 v Strom 1000s and I really like how they look too. But that'll be a few years.

After taking the V-Strom offroad for a day at the 2016 eastern v-Strom rally, I went home and bought a proper dirt bike. Well not immediately, but thats when I decided thats what I wanted to do. I eyeballed Craigslist for awhile and then bought a 2002 Yamaha WR426 in late 2016. I wanted a dual sport that I could ride to the trails as I only had a car at the time. The WR does it with a scary top speed of about 90 MPH but also plenty capable to handle all sorts of off road fun. I have enjoyed a couple of areas near Gurley that we call Colemine (in Hollytree) and Bull Run (in Estillfork.) Also been to Hollytree off road, and most recently Stoney Lonesome (in Cullman.)

I am a tame rider on both asphalt and dirt. I have never really been one to push the limits. I have been to the dragon a handful of times and love the surrounding roads. I will ride in whatever temps but prefer to stay out of the rain.

Welp. Thanks for reading if you made it this far! I look forward to meeting more of you and riding some awesome roads and trails. Enjoy some pictures below.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chitza

Glad to read some of your Moto story, David! And glad you joined us and every happier that you decided to stay after meeting some of us  :D
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

David DoubleEX

Quote from: Chitza on April 24, 2018, 07:58:08 PM
Glad to read some of your Moto story, David! And glad you joined us and every happier that you decided to stay after meeting some of us  :D
Oh you guys aren't too bad!

Fencejumper09

Hey now, that V-strom ain't too ugly!!

I would say that you pushed the limits of that 426 pretty far at Hollytree!

Thanks for posting up!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

griff

Greetings from a local. We live in gurley ourselves and sometimes ride on Bingham and Estillfork. We'll have to get together for some riding. Frank Smith is another local dual sport rider on here that's wanting to ride. We have a pretty good size group of dirt and dual sport riders in this area.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

David DoubleEX

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on April 25, 2018, 08:20:33 AM
Hey now, that V-strom ain't too ugly!!

I would say that you pushed the limits of that 426 pretty far at Hollytree!

Thanks for posting up!
Well... I have never been a fan of the huge headlights or how big the front fairings are. But hey, I still love my bike!

Haha that was some interesting stuff! Rough single track for that big of a bike with such high gearing.

David DoubleEX

Quote from: griff on April 25, 2018, 09:06:36 AM
Greetings from a local. We live in gurley ourselves and sometimes ride on Bingham and Estillfork. We'll have to get together for some riding. Frank Smith is another local dual sport rider on here that's wanting to ride. We have a pretty good size group of dirt and dual sport riders in this area.
Yes lets definitely get together soon. I work Monday-Friday so I can usually make weekends work.
Yall are coming to bankhead this weekend right? We can talk more about it then! Looking forward to meeting you all.

klaviator

Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend.

Guidedawg

Welcome from Montgomery.

Who's your little V-strom riding buddy?

David DoubleEX

Noticed that did ya? There is a little monkey that chills on the back. He's been there since the beginning. Thought it would be funny to zip tie a monkey onto the bike; now he has kinda grown on me.
If you look at the WR, there's another monkey in front of the speedometer.

They are just there for shits and giggles and don't have any other sentimental value.
Quote from: Guidedawg on April 26, 2018, 08:53:10 AM
Welcome from Montgomery.

Who's your little V-strom riding buddy?

David DoubleEX

Of course! Ill be there Friday afternoon. I will see you then!
Quote from: klaviator on April 25, 2018, 12:05:26 PM
   Looking forward to seeing you again this weekend.

griff

Yep well be at the free state ride. Well see you there.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs