News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A ride to a 1 of a kind place.

Started by springer, June 30, 2018, 10:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Some might get a little upset over this as it is a ride report (of sorts) of going to place the tag, but for me, the fun of the tag game is seeing the unusual places in Alabama the tag gets placed. Alabama has its share of unusual places and more of its share of unusual, interesting people. 
This is an unusual place, it is the only place like it from what I understand. It is not a pet cemetery but there is no doubt many served that role. This is a cemetery that accepts only 1 type of dog...Coon Dogs. Certifiable, registered, Coon Dogs.  The dog must be inspected before it is even considered for burial there. Plus it cost a little bit of coin to buy a plot there, little over $800.00. That is just for the plot, not a gravestone or marker.
I first heard of this place from a co-worker, William "Coon Man" Nathan, father of the famous running back, Tony Nathan.
Tony's wiki page;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Nathan

I have meet most of Coon Mans family, each and everyone a fine individual.

So, enough background and onto the videos. First up, a short video of the ride into the Cemetery;

And another short video of this very unusual, unique place.

You might be tempted to take the freeway over to or up there. Do yourself a favor, don't. Take a secondary path up or over there. Enjoy one of the many things that Alabama has to offer.

Good roads, good things to see.  ;)

It might take you longer, but it IS more interesting by far.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

Next time you're up this way, take yourself a very pleasant ride around the Riverton Rose Trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8251813,-88.0437236,13.25z

springer

Quote from: kdtrull on June 30, 2018, 10:42:32 PM
Next time you're up this way, take yourself a very pleasant ride around the Riverton Rose Trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8251813,-88.0437236,13.25z
Linky no workie. Brings me to Google maps, but it is just blank. Np destination. I do have my home addy showing up on the Home line.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

I'm out of time for trying to figure out the link issue but, this is the very nifty road:

Guidedawg

Quote from: springer on June 30, 2018, 10:15:26 PM
Some might get a little upset over this as it is a ride report (of sorts) of going to place the tag, but for me, the fun of the tag game is seeing the unusual places in Alabama the tag gets placed. Alabama has its share of unusual places and more of its share of unusual, interesting people. 

Anyone who gets upset is missing the point.  ;)

This site has always been first and foremost about 2 things:  Encouraging you to ride and making you a better rider.

The second is accomplished through encouraging events and by utilizing the forums to ask questions, offer advice, etc.
The first is done through ride reports, suggestions, pics of bikes, anything to encourage someone else to get out there.

The primary purpose of tags, theme tags, ghost towns, historical places, etc. is to give someone an "excuse" to take off on the motorcycle.

So I'd say you are doing exactly what we are all encouraged to do!  And most of us love the unique and unusual (as we are unique and unusual ourselves), so thanks for the report!  I knew the site existed, but had never seen video of it.

Fencejumper09

Looks like a nice ride report to me!

Thanks for taking us along!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332