News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

NC MTN trip, two up on the scooter.

Started by klaviator, October 19, 2015, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I love the mountains in the fall and always try to take it least one ride to North GA and/or NC to catch the colorful leaves.  This year I had planned a trip on my Versys but Debbi's plans changed so that she had the time to come along.  Back in May we bought a new, 395cc Yamaha Majesty scooter so that we would have a suitable bike for riding two up.  This was our chance to try it out.  We had done a few day rides but this would be our first overnight (actually two nights) trip on a bike in over 10 years.

I was a little concerned about having enough storage space but that turned out to be a non issue.  Most of our stuff fit under the seat leaving the tail trunk available for when we shed layers of clothes as it warmed up. 

We headed out around 9 AM on Saturday and started out with some boring 4 lane.  We took I-565/72 until just before I-24 where we took 156 as a shortcut.  Thoise of you who have ridden 156 know it's not just a shortcut, it's a great ride    Then it was more boring riding on I-24 and I-75 through Chattanooga.  The fun stuff started when 64 got to the Ocoee river followed by 30, 315, and 39.  We fueled up and then headed over the Cherohala where I started taking some pics.

Taking a break:

At the bottom of the Skyway, the leaves had not really changed much.  At the top they where past their peak but in the middle it was pretty nice. 

I didn't get many pics the first day.  Total distance to Robbinsville was 255 miles.  The scooter, despite only being 395cc handles it just fine.  Our 250cc Aprilia would bog down pretty bad going up the skyway 2 up.  The Yamaha, while no rocket up going up, handled it just fine. 

Our home for the next two nights would be the San Ran Motel in Robbinsville.  It's a pretty old and small motel but the rooms are in good shape, clean and have a micro fridge and microwave.  I also like that you can park your bike right outside the door.  It is also in a location where you can walk to everything you need.  There is a grocery store a 5 minute walk away, several restaurants nearby and of most important, you can walk next door to the drug store and get your Dragon T-shirts ::)

The four bikes in the foreground where all from Ontario.  They where heading out in the morning to ride back home and hopefully get there before the snow forecast for Sunday

For dinner we walked to Lynn's place.  The food was good and I'd recommend it if you're looking for a family style sit down place.

klaviator

I am more of a morning person than Debbi so I got up early Saturday morning and saw this:

Yes it was a bit chilly.  I walked over to Ingles and got a three pack of donuts.  I came back and ate 2 of them.  Then I moved the bike so the sun would melt off the frost.  Then I walked across the street to Micky Dees to get something more for breakfast.  There was a huge line because of all those Damn bikers in town ;D  In this case it was the Valkrye owners having a rally.  While standing in line I hear my name called.  I turn around and it's a guy I knew and rode with back when I lived in Atlanta.  So we talked a bit.  It sure is a small world but then I expect to meet other riders I know every time I head for these mountains.  I was pretty sure I'd meet some more.

Then it was time to head out for a short ride.  I headed down 129 towards Deal's Gap.  129 between Robbinsville and Deal's Gap is a pretty nice ride.  I did stop and get this pic at what i consider one of the most scenic spots along this road.

When I got to the Gap, there were already quite a few bikes, mostly cruisers, and someone was blaring some obnoxious music over some loudspeakers.  I'm not sure what the point was.  That's not what I come to the mountains for. >:(

There was no one there I recognized and the "music" was getting on my nerves so I didn't stick around long.  It was a nice 18 mile ride back to the motel.  Debbi was up and nearly ready to go.  By this time it had warmed up quite a bit.  We started of by heading over to iron Horse which Debbi had never seen.  For those who haven't been, Iron Horse is an impressive motorcycle resort located near Stecoah, NC.  It has a nice lodge, camping, indoor lodging ranging from bunks in a bunkhouse up to nice private rooms.  I have camped there before but never stayed in the lodging.  Probably next year Debbi and I will try out the lodging.

A pic across the creek from the main lodge:

Then it was time to ride.  It was a beautiful day.  My pics don't how pretty it was any justice.  And of course there where a lot of curves as we rode 28 to Franklin

After Franklin we rode some of my favorite, lessor known roads.

We took a break at the beach and took a few more pics:

Then we rode some more.

I always stop at this spot to take pics:

We even did a little "dual sport" riding 8)

Bridal Veil Falls.  I even managed to get a rainbow in this pic.

Another scenic photo spot.  The sun was just right for this.

One of the high points of the day happened on Wayah RD.  We were just cruising along when a couple of bike passed up.  I have no problem being passed but..........I decided to pick up the pace some.  They still pulled away.  No problem.  Then 2 more bikes passed us on a long straight and we caught up with the first two.  Then it was a fun ride sown the last part of Wayah Rd as we kept up with the group.  Normally I go slower when riding by myself and even slower with a passenger.  This gave me an excuse to see how well this scooter worked 2 up.  We weren't going sport bike fast but fast enough to make for an exciting ride   Overall I pretty happy with the way this scooter handles 2 up on a twisty road.  It's no sport bike but is much more nimble than any cruiser or big dresser. 

At the end of Wayah Rd they turned right and we turned left on 19 and then right on 129 back to Robbinsville.  At this point the sun was getting low and the temperature was dropping quickly so we where glad to get back to the motel.  Total miles for the day was 160 two up and another 36 that I did solo in the morning.

For dinner we walked to the El Pacifico Mexican Restaurant and had an excellent meal.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

lazeebum

That area is never boring. Great pictures and ride report.

klaviator

Sunday morning was forecast to be even colder than Saturday morning but I decided to get an early start anyway because it's a great time to take pics.  I covered the rider's seat with a rag to keep it frost free.  I got on the road around 7 and headed towards Deal's gap again.  I stopped at the same place as the day before for some pics.  It was a different scene this morning.

then a little further down the road was this view:

Continuing towards Deal's Gap there where more scenic photo opportunities:

The Tapoca Lodge:

Fugitive Dam:

Then I stopped briefly at the Deal's Gap Resort.  Not much going on that early in the morning so I head off to enjoy some curves.

As cold as it was I didn't push it too much as I didn't want to see how well my tires would stick in the cold.  There was little traffic and the few vehicles on the road this early tend to either be going pretty fast or know how to use the pulloffs to let you by.  At this hour most of the photogs were not set up yet and one that was didn't bother to get out of his warm car to take my pic as I went by.  I found an interesting scenic spot and decided to stop and see what kind off pics I could get.

kdtrull

Great report.  Diggin' the early morning fog pics.

Argh Oh

Wonderful report and photo work! I love that area and have been there a few times. I gotta take my hat off to scooter Dude and Dudette! Most excellent.

Guidedawg

I like the photo contrast between the two days and the fact that you are 2 up scooter ridin'.  WTG!

Brian A

klaviator

Thanks for all the responses so far.  I still have a bit more.

After the picture taking session, which by the way helped my hands warm back up, I continued on to the overlook.

Then I headed back.  I stopped at the same spot I was earlier to get a shot from a different angle.

Then I had a fun ride through the 200 or so curves left to the resort where I stopped, didn't see anyone I knew and headed off.  Checkout time at the motel was 10:00 and I wanted to be back by 9:30.  Keep in mind this is in Eastern time so it was earlier in Alabama time.  I didn't have the time to stop and snap as many pics as I did earlier but I still got a few.

This was shot on the move.  129 runs along the Cheoah river making for a scenic ride.

This bridge crosses the Cheoah and leads to some dead end Forest Service roads.

Same spot as earlier but with less fog.

And another repeat spot.

Then it was back to the motel where Debbi was up and almost ready to go.  We packed up the scooter and headed back to Deal's Gap for breakfast.  No stops this time.  We wanted to get there while they were still serving breakfast.  When we got there some of the regulars were there so we said hi, made introductions and then headed in breakfast.  Sitting at the table next to us where a couple form Cookville, Tn who we had met on Friday night at dinner.  We talked to them a bit.  Another friend from ADV came in and talked a bit.  On Saturday he had just missed being involved in a nasty accident that closed 129 for about 2 hours.  He showed us some pics on his phone.  He was waiting to make sure everyone was OK before posting the pics on ADV.  I guess everyone made it because he did post the pics.  This was a reminder on how dangerous this road came be.

Apparently a guy on a cruiser ran wide on one of the first curves on the 129 after the lake and hit a minivan.  Somehow two other bikes where involved.  Another angle.

Enough gloom and doom.  After Debbi and I finished eating we went back outside and acted like the typical tourists who come here.

Debbi took a tourist pic of me but it's my ride report and I'm not posting it ;D

Then we rode down 129.  The lake at the bottom is really low.

That's the last of the pics.  Our route home was 129 - 72 - 411 - 68 - 307 - 39 - 11 - ? - I75 - I24 - 156 - 72 to Huntsville.  Total miles from Robbinsville to home was 260 miles.  My solo morning ride was another 55 miles. 

Overall it was a great weekend.  The riding and scenery where great.  It was great to get away from the real world if only for 3 days.  We now know that this scooter is suitable for 2 up, multi day trips.  We will be planning some more trips next year.  We discussed the possibility of trying to organize a weekend group trip to the area on Bamarides next year.  Iron Horse would make a nice destination since it has a wide range of lodging & camping and is in a great location as far as riding goes.  If not there, Robbinsville is also a good destination/base.

Thanks again for all the replies.  Hopefully Ya'll will have the chance to head up that way as it is a fantastic riding area.  Better yet, I hope to have the chance to ride that area with some of you in the not to distant future. 

lazeebum

Once again, your ride reports inspire me. Right now I have to forego some things I want to do because of family commitments.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

One more pic.  This one from US129Photos.