News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

winter riding what's your setup?

Started by Falcon7, November 22, 2015, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon7

So today I went out on a windy 40 degree day.

Had thermals, pants, muck boots. Two pairs of socks. Thick mc jacket with liner balaclava, 40gram insulated gloves.

Bike has only bark busters for wind\hand protection.

So the only part today I had a hard time keeping warm was my hands and toes.  I gave in and dropped some hot hands into my boots and that helped but hands still needed something.

So from all you experienced guys\gals out there what do you do to keep warm to ride when the temps start dropping.?

catang5oh

Heated grips and good gloves, or heated gloves. I have both. Gerbing and Tourmaster make good gloves. Oxford makes good heated grips. Good leather boots and some kind of insulated socks. Wool socks work great.

Yankee Dog

One of my favorite pieces of kit is a neck gaiter that Cycle Gear sells. I think Freeze Out is the name. This thing just plain works!  Made of a thin neoprene sort of material.  Tucks into my jacket and pulls up over my chin. Absolutely keeps the wind out and is waterproof as well. Not bulky.   Wears out in a couple of years but only costs about $25

bblass

I got a pair of cortech winter gloves off amazon last month that are some of the best cold weather kit I've ever had. They're fully armored gauntlets lined with thinsulate and have a hot hands pocket on the back. I haven't used them for anything over a 30 minute trip on the interstate but I did get caught in the rain and my hands were still warm and dry. Check out winter gloves on revzilla. Tons of great reviews
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

jrou111

For cold <45 degree weather I used to have heated gloves and a jacket liner, but they were stolen in Vegas along with my bike.

Back in April I bought a barely used Firstgear Themo Suit off eBay for $70. It's basically a wind/waterproof snowmobile suit lined with Thinsulate and will make you sweat above 45-50 degrees. The suit doesn't have any armor but is thick enough that it's well padded all over.

I have some Bilt winter gloves, as well as some old Firstgear winter gauntlet gloves that work well too.

For boots, I have Alpinestars Goretex Touring boots that are useful at keeping my feet comfy from 85 degrees all the way down into the 20's with good socks. I do have some heated insoles but I've never used them.

Freebooter

Hello all,
Jrou, man, that sucks to have your bike stolen. How far were you fr home? What all did you have to do? Get ur bike back or insurance get u a new one? I hope it worked out ok and you didn't have too many hassles making it home. How did you get home?

But f winter gear, I don't have any true winter riding clothing. So if I have t get out I do have a pull over thing that protects my neck wel and keeps my head warm. And I have some good gloves and boots. But on my body, under my summer mesh jackett with it's thin zip in liner, I wear a tshirt, swearshirt or two, and a lined windbreaker jacket and blue jeans w sweat pants under them of needs be. This is just for around town, errands, etc bno long distance riding.
Dave
Elmore County

scrappyjon

This is what I use.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Typhoon-Waterproof-Textile-Motorcycle-Jacket

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Typhoon-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Pants

They work great and are inexpensive. Rode almost 400 miles in 35 degrees and raining. Never got uncomfortable.

If it's really cold there is enough room in this setup to wear a regular jacket or hoodie and thermals. I use those old school waffle thermals. But I went for a ride Saturday in the 50's and just had a t-shirt on underneath. Perfectly fine.

Oh, and heated grips. 

jrou111

I rode to work this morning with the Thermo suit...toasty warm!

I do look like an spaceman though.

Freebooter, as far as the stolen bike, my insurance (MC) paid for the bike but not my gear(homeowners). But my MC policy paid enough that I was okay not making a homeowners claim. I was about 2200 miles away from home and had to catch a flight back home with all my mesh gear on.

Freebooter

Glad you made it home and ins covered ur bike. If that happened to me I would not be able t afford t get home. If U go on a far ride I get my gas w a gas credit card and money to eat on. Not syre how I'd get home.

gene46

I have the First Gear Thermo suit. I bought it over a year ago, I think on eBay? I see that they stock it at Cycle Gear in Gadsden and they are having a black Friday sale. I like this suit and have worn it down into the 20's. It was 31 degrees the other day, no chills in my 50 minute commute. I just need to find a good set up for my hands. I guess I am going to have to buy some plug in gloves.

maydaymike

I use a 1 piece Aerostich Roadcrafter all year 'round, and layer underneath as nessassary. Below 50, I'll add my WarmNSafe heated jacket and gloves. Below 35 or so, I'll add insulated jacket and pant liners. (I use the liners that came with my Olympia AST jacket and Ranger pants... really warm! ). Yesterday morning it was 28 when I left the house, and with everything in place, I was comfortable with the heat turned up to about 50%. The coldest I've ridden in is about 10 degrees. With the heat cranked up, it was tolerable for my 1 hour commute, but certainly not all day comfortable. I also have various neck gaiters and balaclavas to use when appropriate.
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

Yankee Dog

I think the one piece suit are the way to go when it comes to staying warm.  Half the battle is keeping the wind out. 

Chitza

One piece suits are great for keeping the cold out. Unless they have to come off for you to go pee. Girls, don't try a one piece under layer, like a Freeze Out suit. You will be disappointed that you wasted your money.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chuck A.

Leather! It's good enough for cows, it's good enough for me. Leather coat, chaps, gloves, and insulated leather boots.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.