News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Time to change oil

Started by Crandon, May 25, 2016, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crandon

It is about time for me to change the oil and oil filter on my bike.  I usually use the OEM Filter, I am looking to go to the Lucas Synthetic Oil and the K&N Filter.  Would anyone recommend anything over this? 

jrobinson

that's what I've been running in my bike and using the K&N filter.

Yankee Dog

I use whatever oil filter equivalent autozone happens to have on hand. 

kdtrull

Quote from: Yankee Dog on May 25, 2016, 04:52:03 PM
I use whatever oil filter equivalent autozone happens to have on hand.

Same here and house brand oil.  I think there is a lot of bs fluff in oil marketing.  Although, I haven't had a high performance machine since 1988.  Synthetics may be da' butters, but ancient thumpers don't care much about that stuff.

IceCold4x4

I use motul 300v but that's because it's alien blood green and smells like bananas. No lie. So if I smelled cooked bananas on a ride I KNOW it's mee. Plus the green goes with my Kawasaki banner. hehe

But in all seriousness, I've used the shell rotella T before and it's a good oil and cheaper than most. Only issue is that after about 2k miles in the ZRX the trans doesn't shift as well. While with the motul it's smoother from the get go and that feeling lasts untill i change it at 3 to 4k miles...

griff

I've been using Rotella T6 for a long time. It's full synthetic oil with lots of cleaning agents as it's made for turbo diesels. It should also stand up to high heat well due to the turbo portion. It's somewhat reasonably priced($21/gal). Having had several cheap filters come apart on me, I pretty much only run oe filters now.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

WECSOG

I use regular Rotella T 15W40 in my Sporty. I use the same oil filter that my Jeep Wrangler 3.8 V6 takes. I'm partial to Wix filters, but I also use Bosch.
I've used Rotella in my smaller bikes too, but lately I've been using Valvoline motorcycle specific oil in them because Autozone has had it on sale for a pretty good while.

lk2rd

Check out the Hiflofiltro brand of oil filters.  They make a lot of the oem filters and private label filters.   Hiflofiltro is the first oil filter to receive the TUV certification.  Good quality at good price.

For oil, with a wet clutch bike, be sure the oil doesn't contain friction modifiers that can affect clutch performance.  If it says "Energy Saving" on the label, it has friction modifiers that may cause clutch slipping.  Aside from that, I like oil that makes shifting smooth and easy.

01YZF6

Oem filter and rotella 15-40.... almost  75000 miles between 3 bikes and never an issue